The "What pissed you off today" thread

EDITED:
[Forum Decorum]

My father-in-law came here in the 1960's and faced bigotry and harassment from his co-workers. He was afraid to speak up, as it might cause him to lose his job and he was trying to raise a family. He felt shame and humiliation on an almost daily basis for years. The tone and phrases used freely today are bringing back echoes of that shame to him now. We definitely need to demand and expect better from everyone.

Last edited:

ed lespaul

Apparently, Gary Clark Jr. wasn't talking about racism in the song "This Land". He was just saying that he felt the need to apologize to the people that told him to go back where he came from, because there are good people on both sides. Both sides.
And I bet he would love it if thousands of angry white people at his concert shouted “Send him back!” Totally not racist/xenophobic/un-compassionate. Nope.

Regardless, I don’t think people that run for public office hate the country they are in. They have things they don’t like about the system, hence their being in office to try to work to change it. To say “if you don’t like it, leave” is reductionist and hypocritical. Everyone has things they don’t like about government, and if people who are saying that now heeded their own “advice”, there would be a lot fewer people in this country.

Politics aside, this is hateful rhetoric and it shouldn’t be normalized in this day and age. We’ve seen how this plays out in the last century. Over 6 million people killed. And it didn’t start out with people rounding up Jews in the middle of the night. It started with the gradual, progressive demonization of the population that led to the eventual outcome.

The people shouting these things like “send them back!” probably feel like they are good people because they spend an hour a week at church and maybe a couple extra hours at a soup kitchen at Thanksgiving scooping mashed potatoes onto plates. But then they don’t think twice to yell at a scared young woman who is struggling with a decision to keep a baby, sometimes in the case of rape. And they also turn a blind eye to separating young children from their parents at the border, or rationalize it to themselves by saying that the people entered the country illegally, so this is what’s coming to them. Where’s the compassion that these people purport to have? I guess if you want to make an omelette, you have to let some migrant children die. I mean, they aren’t your kids and the economy is going okay, despite the big storm clouds building.
Politics aside? Are you kidding. This entire thing is political, and doesn't belong here.

hendrixisgod

Argumentative Bastard
Politics aside, this is hateful rhetoric and it shouldn’t be normalized in this day and age. We’ve seen how this plays out in the last century. Over 6 million people killed. And it didn’t start out with people rounding up Jews in the middle of the night. It started with the gradual, progressive demonization of the population that led to the eventual outcome.
this! they dehumanise. absolutely.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
LOL, this lady is getting a lot of negative press since the World Cup Final. Her celebrations came off as very arrogant as if she did it all by herself. Also, apparently she also wouldn't even look a fan in the eyes when signing an autograph. It was a little kid. She signed it, but never even looked at him. Afterward the world got to see a bit too much of her frontal nude self when she got up.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
The problem with today’s society is if you disagree with someone of color and you are not of color you are deemed racist.

No. I just don’t like some people and their ideals. I’m an equal opportunity hater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk