The "What pissed you off today" thread

Wuzza

long time lurker
I once dropped my mobile phone in the gents toilet at work. In the absence of any rubber gloves, i did the only sensible thing. I walked away and bought another. I mean, it wasn't like I would ever be willing to hold it against my ear again, right?
It could be worse, you could have dropped it in a motorway service station toilet... :frog:

OMG, WTF is wrong with men if they aren't using the utilities in their own house, I mean the aroma is one thing, but really, can you actually not manage to get all the liquid in the big white porcelain thing? And if not, evidentially it's far too much trouble to clean whatever mess you made....

Wuzza

long time lurker
Casual sexism on FB gear groups.
It’s nothing I can’t handle in a way that underlines that some of us ladies play guitar too but doing so gently but firmly as the guys in question usually don’t even realise they’re doing it (see below) - they just want to take part in the group and using humour at the expense of an *other* is such a common way of doing that; not just on social media either!
It’s a drag though
And not at all what I want to be doing when I visit these groups...
View attachment 36148
:rolleyes:
Awesomely handled. :D :heart:

ed lespaul

It’s nothing I can’t handle in a way that underlines that some of us ladies play guitar too but doing so gently but firmly as the guys in question usually don’t even realise they’re doing it (see below) - they just want to take part in the group and using humour at the expense of an *other* is such a common way of doing that; not just on social media either!
It’s a drag though
View attachment 36148
I'm not one who goes for all these "...ISMs", but that was well played.

ed lespaul

People who sell their guitars to Guitar Center, without trying to sell them on their own first. Guitar Center give you 60% of the estimated used value. So, for a $2000 guitar, you get $1200, and they sell it for $2000. The problem is that I would have bought the guitar off you for $1200, and would have been ecstatic at the deal I got. Hell, I might have even gone higher, so it actually cost you money to trade it in.

At least give it a shot, especially after you find out what they're offering you at GC.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
It’s a drag though
View attachment 36148
Some people are dicks (both sexes to be fair) or just don't realise they are being dicks. The majority of bands I've been in had female members, I've lost count of the amount of times I heard "you're pretty good for a girl". They were all valued members of the bands and we were pretty protective of them but never stepped in unless absolutely necessary (usually drunk knob ends getting grabby) because they were more than capable of taking care of them selves because...err...they were intelligent (imagine that)!

Kerry is one of those women, seeing her deal with idiots at gigs was beautiful! She'd knock a motherfucker out! :D

People who sell their guitars to Guitar Center, without trying to sell them on their own first. Guitar Center give you 60% of the estimated used value. So, for a $2000 guitar, you get $1200, and they sell it for $2000. The problem is that I would have bought the guitar off you for $1200, and would have been ecstatic at the deal I got. Hell, I might have even gone higher, so it actually cost you money to trade it in.

At least give it a shot, especially after you find out what they're offering you at GC.
People can be fucked up. My experience with selling stuff has definitely opened my mind to trade-ins and pawn shops that buy stuff.

Re sexism, I've done a lot of am dram and most of the best singers I've known have been women. During the last show I was in (Beauty and the Beast), I didn't enjoy doing the show at all (which is largely why I haven't done any more since) but I loved listening to the girl playing Belle, as she has a wonderful voice.

12hrs of nightshift on little less than 2hrs of sleep because my in-laws can't control my daughters during half-term.

Not that they're monsters, but they let them get away with everything.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Re sexism, I've done a lot of am dram and most of the best singers I've known have been women. During the last show I was in (Beauty and the Beast), I didn't enjoy doing the show at all (which is largely why I haven't done any more since) but I loved listening to the girl playing Belle, as she has a wonderful voice.
I’m sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy the last show you did @GloopyJon
I know you have had a ton of fun doing them in the past.
I hope you find a way to get your singing chops out again that makes you ahappy fella bud
:)

Chu

Some people are dicks (both sexes to be fair) or just don't realise they are being dicks. The majority of bands I've been in had female members, I've lost count of the amount of times I heard "you're pretty good for a girl". They were all valued members of the bands and we were pretty protective of them but never stepped in unless absolutely necessary (usually drunk knob ends getting grabby) because they were more than capable of taking care of them selves because...err...they were intelligent (imagine that)!

Kerry is one of those women, seeing her deal with idiots at gigs was beautiful! She'd knock a motherfucker out! :D
I'm very wary of labelling lower level matters as racism, sexism or hate etc. as i think it can be counterproductive. Many people when challenged that their behaviour is racist will respond with something like 'I can't be racist, my best friend is black' or similar. And from that point on, their defences are up, you're wrong and they're not listening. With the current focus on hate being the root of racism, sexism and the like, it's easy for people to deny their behaviour as it's quite likely that they don't genuinely hate that group but are just behaving like a ****.

I hope you find a way to get your singing chops out again that makes you ahappy fella bud
Thanks Suze! They are apparently talking about the possibility of doing Chess in November, and I'd definitely audition for that because the Russian is my dream role. I probably wouldn't get it, but it would be wonderful.

Otherwise, I've had a few jams recently playing bass with another guitarist and sometimes with his drummer friend, and I'd be happy to find some kind of group where I could play some basic guitar or bass. Who knows what will happen in the future - hopefully I still have a few years left to do some new stuff! :)

bad alice

I'm very wary of labelling lower level matters as racism, sexism or hate etc. as i think it can be counterproductive. Many people when challenged that their behaviour is racist will respond with something like 'I can't be racist, my best friend is black' or similar. And from that point on, their defences are up, you're wrong and they're not listening. With the current focus on hate being the root of racism, sexism and the like, it's easy for people to deny their behaviour as it's quite likely that they don't genuinely hate that group but are just behaving like a ****.
Yeah, I find getting confrontational always results in defensiveness and, without fail, that escalates the situation
And especially so on social media where you have no clues other than the text to give any insight to the motivation behind the post.
While I’m more than capable of confronting and calling out someone who’s being a deliberately sexist arsehole
I find *lower level* isms like he ones I posted best handled with a degree of humour; making my point clear yes, but not doing that in a way that puts anyone in a corner or on the defence.
19/20 that works just fine and we both walk away happy with the outcome.
1/20? Tbh by that point on any FB group there’s usually a group of us (guys included) calling out the one being the persistently sexist idiot...

Chu

Yeah, I find getting confrontational always results in defensiveness and, without fail, that escalates the situation
And especially so on social media where you have no clues other than the text to give any insight to the motivation behind the post.
While I’m more than capable of confronting and calling out someone who’s being a deliberately sexist arsehole
I find *lower level* isms like he ones I posted best handled with a degree of humour; making my point clear yes, but not doing that in a way that puts anyone in a corner or on the defence.
19/20 that works just fine and we both walk away happy with the outcome.
1/20? Tbh by that point on any FB group there’s usually a group of us (guys included) calling out the one being the persistently sexist idiot...

With you 100% :hug:I think I feel quite strongly about this as I'm aware of things I've said in the past. As a youth of the '90s, telling your mates something akin to 'You've had enough booze already? Are you gay?' was entirely normal. But I don't identify at all at being homophobic, I've been fully behind equal rights for as long as i remember and abhor bullying, disrespectful behaviour. Who you choose to live your life with is irrelevant to me.

Sometimes everyone needs to talk like adults and listen to you peers when they say that using a word such as 'gay' as a cheap insult is offensive as it implies it to be something negative. Equally, pretending it didn't happen out of fear of being labelled as homophobic by current standards isn't helping progress. I doubt you recall, but you once called me out on some 'humorous' quip I made about mental health. You did so politely and fairly and so my response went something like -

'Oh get a fucking grip, i was only having a.... Well, ok as someone i respect, i should consider your point of vi.... Ok, i understand why that's not something I should have said.' None of us are the finished article and we should all aim to keep learning.

Who said this place is just full of dumb gear talk? :D

bad alice

With you 100% :hug:I think I feel quite strongly about this as I'm aware of things I've said in the past. As a youth of the '90s, telling your mates something akin to 'You've had enough booze already? Are you gay?' was entirely normal. But I don't identify at all at being homophobic, I've been fully behind equal rights for as long as i remember and abhor bullying, disrespectful behaviour. Who you choose to live your life with is irrelevant to me.

Sometimes everyone needs to talk like adults and listen to you peers when they say that using a word such as 'gay' as a cheap insult is offensive as it implies it to be something negative. Equally, pretending it didn't happen out of fear of being labelled as homophobic by current standards isn't helping progress.
:hug: Right back atcha @Chu
And yes, talking openly about the *mistakes* we made in the past in terms of not having thought through how a casual comment - pretty sure I used “gay” years back in a similar way to you a couple of times before thinking “nah, not good” - is REALLY important as otherwise, when we criticise others for using offensive terms we come across as holier-than-though arseh*oles, when actually the only difference is that we’ve maybe stopped and thought a little bit about how hurtful and limiting some of these words can be.
For me peer pressure and fitting in always comes second to my conscience being clear when I go to sleep at night. But that’s just me. There’s no right or wrong in this; we’re all completely different in terms of how and what we rate as being important in our lives. And that too is something to be celebrated- as are all our differences - because that’s what makes us all the unique individuals we are. And it’s this individualism that gives each of us the potential to impact on the word - for good or bad - in a way that no one else ever can.
That’s pretty bloody AWESOME too IMO
I doubt you recall, but you once called me out on some 'humorous' quip I made about mental health. You did so politely and fairly and so my response went something like -

'Oh get a fucking grip, i was only having a.... Well, ok as someone i respect, i should consider your point of vi.... Ok, i understand why that's not something I should have said.' None of us are the finished article and we should all aim to keep learning.
:oops:
I have no memory of that at all!
But that you do means a lot - thanks for (re) sharing that bud.

Who said this place is just full of dumb gear talk? :D
DUMB gear talk?:eek:
#oxymoron
:D

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
The one that got me was saying “retarded”. As in, “Geez! I’m retarded.” When I mess up or do something stupid. Or, “Are you retarded?” When somebody else does.

Then I worked with an exemplary gentleman who had a son with severe mental disability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
With you 100% :hug:I think I feel quite strongly about this as I'm aware of things I've said in the past. As a youth of the '90s, telling your mates something akin to 'You've had enough booze already? Are you gay?' was entirely normal.
As someone who went to school in the 70's I can't tell you number of racial, homophobic, misogynistic and otherwise offensive terms that where in common use. Every kind of life choice and disability had it's own slur. Funnily enough the common epithets for gay were more about not being 'manly' or being girly. They were both homophobic and misogynistic at the same time.

As someone who went to school in the 70's I can't tell you number of racial, homophobic, misogynistic and otherwise offensive terms that where in common use. Every kind of life choice and disability had it's own slur. Funnily enough the common epithets for gay were more about not being 'manly' or being girly. They were both homophobic and misogynistic at the same time.
Since this discussion is still going on, every single LGBTQ person will tell you they are offended by the implication that who they are is a choice. That sort of thing is what leads to reeducation and reorientation efforts. I'm not suggesting that's where you're coming from, and I don't think at all that that is what you intend. But the term "lifestyle choice" is just as outdated as anything else.

It's a frame of reference that, if we're all going to live together happily, needs to be added to the pile of outmoded thinking, and leads to better understanding. :)

I'm with you, I grew up in the 70s/80s. I remember playing "smear the queer" in grade school. And I don't recall a single teacher ever telling us there was something wrong about that. We had to grow up and learn it on our own. And at the time, if one of them had thought to say something, they probably would've just said we were being retarded. :D:confused::oops:

ed lespaul

I also grew up during that time, and I refuse to apologize for the way we were. It was a time when people knew how to take things, and just let them slide off. When we said "That's gay", never once did we mean that you were homosexual. The first band I was in, had a guitar player, who was gay, and nobody cared, nor did we treat him any differently from anyone else. He would use the term "that's gay" all the time. He knew it never meant anything bad about the gay community, it was just slang for "it sucks."