The "What pissed you off today" thread

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Thought it was going to be a refreshingly okay day.
No such luck.

My mom's oldest dog (still seemingly "spry" enough, for a 14 year old Schnauzer) was having some kinda odd troubles recently, and we came home to him being unable to walk, and then having a seizure and losing control of his legs entirely, seeming to be a in a lot of pain and struggling to breath normally.
We ended up rushing him to a 24 hour emergency vet and they found a mass of some kind in his belly. He was too old for anything to be done.
He was nearly 15 years old, and we'd had him since we got him as a rescue just over 12 years ago, along with my mom's other remaining Schnauzer, who loved him to death and is now alone for the first time since then, as well.
Down to 1 dog in the house (and 1 cat, but she's a jerk, so she doesn't count) for the first time since I was a kid.

RIP, Tucker... lovable, derpy, genuinely OCD dog. Already feels different without him.
I'm sorry to hear that mate.

ed lespaul

The f'ing roller coaster continues. Although all indicators were that my mother-in-law was getting stronger, to the point that the doctors decided to extubate her, and end the medically induced coma, she did not come out of it yet.

Overnight, the doctors noticed that she had labored breathing, meaning the lungs are not functioning well enough yet. They decided to intubate her again. They said they will be doing a cat scan on the head and chest area later today. The chest area to see if the infection is still there, or if there is anything still lingering, or not diagnosed prior.

The head area is to see if there is any brain function, since she didn't wake up yesterday or this morning.

FFS.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Had a long overdue eye test today
And yep, new glasses required
The monopolies commission really needs to take a long, hard look at the spectacle industry
Cuz FFS, HOW MUCH for what are essentially a couple of pieces of plastic and glass?!!
:mad:

beans & rice

The monopolies commission really needs to take a long, hard look at the spectacle industry
Cuz FFS, HOW MUCH for what are essentially a couple of pieces of plastic and glass?!!
I go to Zenni online, been using them for years. I get a couple throwaway pairs for work and shit, about $12 each. Come with UV protection and anti-scratch coating, case and microfiber wipe. Sunglasses run me between $25-$50. If you have bifox or other greater demands they'll run you higher, but overall they beat just about anything out there. And they last.
I'm long overdue for an exam, but my last prescription still works just fine.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
My wife has bad astigmatism. So bad that opticians call in the other opticians to have a look. She needs the top level lens materials and special prescriptions. They are expensive. Frames ... well you know they are a high profit item because, like perfume, all the fashion designers have a range.

That said in all purchases we go by the '£1 a go is good value' calculation. That is to say a a £10 pair of shoes you wear twice is bad value but £100 pair of work shoes that you wear 5 times a week for year is good value. A £1,000 pair of shoes is never going to be good value but £1,000 guitar may seem like bad value but if you play it 500 times and sell it for £500 it's good.

Good glasses are always good value.

bad alice

My wife has bad astigmatism. So bad that opticians call in the other opticians to have a look. She needs the top level lens materials and special prescriptions. They are expensive. Frames ... well you know they are a high profit item because, like perfume, all the fashion designers have a range.

That said in all purchases we go by the '£1 a go is good value' calculation. That is to say a a £10 pair of shoes you wear twice is bad value but £100 pair of work shoes that you wear 5 times a week for year is good value. A £1,000 pair of shoes is never going to be good value but £1,000 guitar may seem like bad value but if you play it 500 times and sell it for £500 it's good.

Good glasses are always good value.
I have similar astigmatism issues so yep, the same issues that your wife faces definitely apply @Magnus Pym
M is much more accepting of the cost of glasses than I am and, funnily enough, he bases that on exactly the thinking you’ve described above
I’m definitely guilty of thinking what other things the cash could’ve been spent on #gear and feeling bad and cross for spending so much on something made from obviously cheap materials
Buuuut...as being able to see/read is a necessity then it’s an expense I need to suck up and accept.

I go to Zenni online, been using them for years. I get a couple throwaway pairs for work and shit, about $12 each. Come with UV protection and anti-scratch coating, case and microfiber wipe. Sunglasses run me between $25-$50. If you have bifox or other greater demands they'll run you higher, but overall they beat just about anything out there. And they last.
I'm long overdue for an exam, but my last prescription still works just fine.
I just had a quick look and they’re waaay cheaper!
My only reservation would be that I would have no way to check if the prescription was right when they arrived (I’m in Scotland).
I experienced a few prescription fuck ups in my time where glasses are concerned so being able to remedy that eventuality quickly and with minimal hassle is why I always buy glasses in person...
:)

Area Manager came in today to let the team know that a mandatory change from 7-on, 3-off shifts...to 4-on, 4-off.

More time at home, but the £400 pound per month drop in wages is gonna sting hard. That is with a 9% pay increase. Nothing we can do about it, we're still paid more than most sites in the area too.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Area Manager came in today to let the team know that a mandatory change from 7-on, 3-off shifts...to 4-on, 4-off.

More time at home, but the £400 pound per month drop in wages is gonna sting hard. That is with a 9% pay increase. Nothing we can do about it, we're still paid more than most sites in the area too.
Ouch, that's harsh.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
My employer has announced it needs to make £5 million savings this year and is looking at a potential loss of 122 posts over the next 3 years and the closure of the Chemistry department. We already went through this last year when over a hundred people lost their jobs due to the cost cutting measures so we're already short staffed all over the place. :(

bad alice

My employer has announced it needs to make £5 million savings this year and is looking at a potential loss of 122 posts over the next 3 years and the closure of the Chemistry department. We already went through this last year when over a hundred people lost their jobs due to the cost cutting measures so we're already short staffed all over the place. :(
Ffhhhhhk.
That’s not good...
:(
:hug:

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I don't read my Facebook feed much, it's nothing but people complaining. I'm very aware of the irony of me complaining about it here, I guess we all moan about shit. It gets tireing though, it takes a lot of energy to deal with your own and your families problems so when the rest of the world feeds you theirs it's overwhelming. I worry that compassion is being eroded by over exposure to problems, I just have to turn away to be able to deal with life. I'm looking forward to the summer, I need some sun in my life, winters miserable!

Last edited:

Baggy

I don't read my Facebook feed much, it's nothing but people complaining. I'm very aware of the irony of me complaining about it here, I guess we all moan about shit. It gets tireing though, it takes a lot of energy to deal with your own and your families problems so when the rest of the world feeds you theirs it's overwhelming. I worry that compassion is being eroded by over exposure to problems, I just have to turn away to be able to deal with life. I'm looking forward to the summer, I need some sun in my life, winters miserable!
Rarely look at Facebook now, too many arguments over nothing and family kicking off cos I didn't like their latest post of their latest microwave meal.........sigh. I do look at the for sale threads on market place mind, some good gear deals to balance out the negative crap that people strangely find so important. There's always the unfollow button to ease the pain I guess.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
I have 75% of my friends list on “unfollow” and I pretty much outright ignore any friend requests. I realise that with the busineee growing people want to know more of my day to day doings but I never really post much anyway.

Any politics - unfollow
Any religion - unfollow
Any constant moaning - unfollow
Any sharing stupid “moral story” posts - unfollow

You get the picture. So, Facebook is what you make of it. Some people use it a lot more than others and tbh the only reason I’ve kept mine is because I have to have an account for the business page. For ice hockey it’s great though :)

The social media age is very much about impressions and overexposure. Keeping your wits and closing off when needed is never bad! ;)

Also: I saw a great documentary last week, it is called ‘the Facebook Dillema’ though it was edited to a Dutch version so I don’t know whether that title is accurate to the English version.
It’s about the rise and subsequent problems in the company (broadly from 2007 up to now). It is eventually very much framed in a ‘Russian election interference-bubble’ which you have to tap through.

What I got from the piece mostly is that the company has grown so much based on their primary belief(s) (also very much due to the algorythm, which causes said overexposure) that it can’t/won’t really understand it’s role and also can’t/won’t deal with that role. It’s no rocket science documentary, quite low key even, and a lot of it didn’t really surprise me, but overall it should be mandatory to every user to understand the background stuff more and better.