The what are you watching on TV? (or iplayer or 4od etc.) Thread

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Oh if you have Netflix, Mindhunter is just as good as Chernobyl. It's about how the FIB profiling deparment is formed and the research serial killers. Based on true people and stories.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Good Omens.
6/10
This is one of my favourite fantasy books so it’s fair to say I’ve been looking forward to this for flipping AGES but...
It fell a bit short of my expectations.
Martin Sheen and David Tennent were great - although Crowley’s snake eye contacts were a bit distracting - but I felt it kinda dragged when they weren’t on the screen and it defo lacked the ebullient fun and charm of the book.
I get that a lot of the footnote style detail in the book was ditched - although to see the whole Hell’s Angels bikers section getting binned was a big disappointment - and I wonder if part of that was because the book makes a lot of “in jokes” about the UK which might be lost on on an Amazon Prime global audience?
*sigh*
Maybe I just need to accept that it’s a rare feat to capture everything about a book that you love in a TV series?
Ah well.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
Good Omens.
6/10
Maybe I just need to accept that it’s a rare feat to capture everything about a book that you love in a TV series?
Ah well.
I haven't seen it yet but as a general note it bugs me when someone makes an adaptation of a favourite film/book/tv and it appears they just didn't 'get' the original at all. I liked the Wallander with Krister Henriksson, The Rolf Lassgård version is different but good too. But for me the Kenneth Branagh version was changed from a glum guy in a difficult job to relentlessly miserable. I tried to like Dirk Gently but couldn't. Hoping Catch 22 will be ok.

Chili Hobbes

So much time, and so little to do.
I recently finished the previous episodes of Black Mirror, so I was happy to see a new season come out.

3 episodes? What kind of bullshit GoT style reduced episode number nonsense is this? I know previous seasons have fluctuated and never had that many episodes, but c'mon man.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
I finished the HBO mini-series Chernobyl. It has to be one of the best things I've watched all year long.

Next thing I am looking forward to is season 2 of "Mind Hunter" , which is meant to come out this August on Netflix.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Maniac (Netflix)
Emma Stone, Jonah Hill, Justin Theroux and Sally Field
Based in a world not too different from our but defo with a Terry Gilliam spin where Stone and Hill take part in a psychiatric pharmaceutical trial and massive levels of weirdness/drama/personal reflection happen. The show as a whole asks a ton of interesting questions about how we humans deal with the stuff life throws at us and who we are on the inside versus the external person we’ve become to cope with that shit.
Loved it!
:)
Side note: I doubly loved it because that I could watch this at all is a sign of how well my head is keeping at the moment.
:dance:

ed lespaul

I finished the HBO mini-series Chernobyl. It has to be one of the best things I've watched all year long.

Next thing I am looking forward to is season 2 of "Mind Hunter" , which is meant to come out this August on Netflix.
Chernobyl was absolutely fantastic. I wish I kept the entire series recorded. I would definitely binge watch it from start to finish anytime.

ScutMonkey

Good Omens.
6/10
This is one of my favourite fantasy books so it’s fair to say I’ve been looking forward to this for flipping AGES but...
It fell a bit short of my expectations.
Martin Sheen and David Tennent were great - although Crowley’s snake eye contacts were a bit distracting - but I felt it kinda dragged when they weren’t on the screen and it defo lacked the ebullient fun and charm of the book.
I get that a lot of the footnote style detail in the book was ditched - although to see the whole Hell’s Angels bikers section getting binned was a big disappointment - and I wonder if part of that was because the book makes a lot of “in jokes” about the UK which might be lost on on an Amazon Prime global audience?
*sigh*
Ah well.
William Goldman (of Princess Bride fame among so many, many, many others) wrote two books on screenwriting and explains a ton about why this happens and how it's just impossible for it not to happen. Considering he's adapted several of his own books into movies, it's a great insight.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I gave Chernobyl a go but it seems I'm very much in the minority, I just wasn't feeling it. I watched two (or three, I can't remember) episodes then gave up, for whatever reason it just didn't grab me at all.

Last edited: