The what are you watching on TV? (or iplayer or 4od etc.) Thread

beans & rice

Episode 1 of Ozark just ended. Holy poops.
And every single thing that happens, the mountains of shit that pile on Marty, and he just reacts like Tommy Lee Jones in Men In Black. Says, "Alright" and moves the fuck on. Coldest character out of a big cast of monsters.

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
finished IF2

was good - very good in fact. much better choreography in the fighting, characters much more developed, the plot was more compelling

i also though 10 ep rather than 13 made the pacing and thread better

only downside was the very last scene - no spoilers. i just felt it a bit cheap looking fx wise.

all over - another NF/marvel hit

side note - if Defenders, Iron Fist and to a lesser extent Luke Cage had been released first, they would have been universally liked imho. they all suffered by comparison to Jessica Jones and especially Daredevil

Chili Hobbes

So much time, and so little to do.
side note - if Defenders, Iron Fist and to a lesser extent Luke Cage had been released first, they would have been universally liked imho. they all suffered by comparison to Jessica Jones and especially Daredevil
I agree. I generally think the first thing you see of something tends to be your favourite.

My favourite Marvel TV show is Punisher, by a long way, but from reading reviews it doesn't seem as highly regarded as others (JJ and DD). Guess what I watched first. Conversely the character of DD started getting on my nerves in season 2.

AngusWolfe

Likes red things.
I'm trying to learn Norwegian at the moment, so I looked in to some Norwegian TV to improve my listening skills. As much as the 12h as live footage from a boat sounds extremely exciting, I don't think it'll help my grasp of the language, so instead, I watched the first series of Dag. If you like your dark comedies and don't mind subtitles, it's very funny.

I still needed the English subtitles though.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Blacklist. I started watching this a couple of years ago but only got a few episodes in, I can't remember why I didn't carry on with it. We've been watching it solidly every day for over a week now because the first two seasons are about to disappear off Now TV so we needed to get through 44 episodes quickly! James Spader is great as a master criminal. If you like the usual FBI type dramas I'm pretty sure you'll like this.

ed lespaul

Blacklist. I started watching this a couple of years ago but only got a few episodes in, I can't remember why I didn't carry on with it. We've been watching it solidly every day for over a week now because the first two seasons are about to disappear off Now TV so we needed to get through 44 episodes quickly! James Spader is great as a master criminal. If you like the usual FBI type dramas I'm pretty sure you'll like this.
A fantastic show. Enjoy!!!

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Killing Eve (BBC1)
If attractive female psychopaths are your thing* then this is for you
A great story and fantastic characters.
:)

*Luther Season1 still wins this genre though...

We binged this Netflix show called Maniac (I think?) and it was pretty OK. Good in fact. It mixes retro-futurism with a sort of surreal fiction about possible worlds and transcendence (think a TV-friendly Borges), and has a good dose of absurd, almost campy sci-fi humor (think Douglas Adams). The acting is great too.

Regarding Iron Fist, I'm looking forward to starting season 2. It's silly and tacky in a comic book kind of way, and I kind of like it for what it is. I don't think the whole "protector of Kun-Lun" could work any other way.

beans & rice

We binged this Netflix show called Maniac (I think?) and it was pretty OK. Good in fact. It mixes retro-futurism with a sort of surreal fiction about possible worlds and transcendence (think a TV-friendly Borges), and has a good dose of absurd, almost campy sci-fi humor (think Douglas Adams). The acting is great too.

Regarding Iron Fist, I'm looking forward to starting season 2. It's silly and tacky in a comic book kind of way, and I kind of like it for what it is. I don't think the whole "protector of Kun-Lun" could work any other way.
The main thing that drew me to want to watch Maniac was seeing Jonah Hill wearing a Warren Moon football jersey. :D And it also looks good.

S2 of Iron Fist is much stronger in writing and acting, and more dramatic. It very much still is campy and comic booky, but solid.

@ssinine

Professional noodler
Bojack Horseman Season 5!

In case anyone's wondering - it's a horribly dark show with some incredibly nuanced characters. Plenty of episodes where the credits started to roll and I just had to sit there reeling from the punch to my emotional gut.

Only watched a couple of episodes but I'm hoping this season wrecks me even more...

AngusWolfe

Likes red things.
So, Doctor Who. What are our initial thoughts?

I'll prefix my following statement with this: It's the first Episode, I'm going to give it a fair shot, If I judged Peter Capaldi's tenure by the first episode I would have missed some of the best episodes of Doctor Who ever, imo. Starting with a new showrunner too, it's going to take a bit of an adjustment period.

It's also worth noting Capaldi was my favourite portrayal of the Doctor since the show came back and is in good running to be my favourite ever.

Firstly, I think it looks amazing. The new logo is cool, the cinematography is gorgeous, it's very nice to watch. The new version of the theme song is awesome, very old school, but also distinctly different. I'm a big fan of that.

The actual plot of the episode was... fine. Miles better than the aforementioned first episode of Peter Capaldi, but still pretty safe, and mostly uninteresting. I guess Chibnall is not wanting to go mad on the first episode, but it also felt a hell of a lot more aimed at the kids. It reminded me a bit of the Sarah Jane Adventures, if anyone remembers that. I believe he said during production it wasn't going to be as dark as the past few series, but this feels completely flipped the other way. Not necessarily bad, just different. Doctor Who is essentially a kids show at the end of the day.

Unfortunately, I thought the acting in this episode was BAD. When the best performance came from Bradley Walsh, there's a bit of a problem. Unfortunately, I have to include Jodie Whittaker in this section. I was looking forward to her take on it, I thought she could do a lot of interesting things with the character, just as Michelle Gomez did awesome things with The Master, but they seem to have gone back to the Tennant/Smith type portrayal, which I don't think fits her acting style. She seems to be acting alien rather than BEING alien, if that makes sense. They made a point of saying she's basically still mid-regeneration, and all Doctors evolve as the series goes on, but at the moment I'm not sure. I think Jodie is a fantastic actress and has been very good in other things I've seen her in, but I'm not yet convinced she was right for this part. I will say, she was better in some scenes than others, so I have no doubt she'll improve as she finds her Doctor, but for me, it was just a bit hammy. The rest of the cast suffer from this as well, if not worse. It's just got a CBBC with a big budget feel for me.

It is a completely new show though, we do have to remember that. New writers, new cast, I think most of the directors are new too. I look forward to seeing how they grow in to the show and make it their own, but this was a safe start, with areas that are much improved, and areas that need to be improved. I managed to sit through the worst of Matt Smith/Steven Moffat, so I'm a long way from abandoning the show, but it's definitely going to take some getting used to.

bad alice

So, Doctor Who. What are our initial thoughts?

I'll prefix my following statement with this: It's the first Episode, I'm going to give it a fair shot, If I judged Peter Capaldi's tenure by the first episode I would have missed some of the best episodes of Doctor Who ever, imo. Starting with a new showrunner too, it's going to take a bit of an adjustment period.

It's also worth noting Capaldi was my favourite portrayal of the Doctor since the show came back and is in good running to be my favourite ever.

Firstly, I think it looks amazing. The new logo is cool, the cinematography is gorgeous, it's very nice to watch. The new version of the theme song is awesome, very old school, but also distinctly different. I'm a big fan of that.

The actual plot of the episode was... fine. Miles better than the aforementioned first episode of Peter Capaldi, but still pretty safe, and mostly uninteresting. I guess Chibnall is not wanting to go mad on the first episode, but it also felt a hell of a lot more aimed at the kids. It reminded me a bit of the Sarah Jane Adventures, if anyone remembers that. I believe he said during production it wasn't going to be as dark as the past few series, but this feels completely flipped the other way. Not necessarily bad, just different. Doctor Who is essentially a kids show at the end of the day.

Unfortunately, I thought the acting in this episode was BAD. When the best performance came from Bradley Walsh, there's a bit of a problem. Unfortunately, I have to include Jodie Whittaker in this section. I was looking forward to her take on it, I thought she could do a lot of interesting things with the character, just as Michelle Gomez did awesome things with The Master, but they seem to have gone back to the Tennant/Smith type portrayal, which I don't think fits her acting style. She seems to be acting alien rather than BEING alien, if that makes sense. They made a point of saying she's basically still mid-regeneration, and all Doctors evolve as the series goes on, but at the moment I'm not sure. I think Jodie is a fantastic actress and has been very good in other things I've seen her in, but I'm not yet convinced she was right for this part. I will say, she was better in some scenes than others, so I have no doubt she'll improve as she finds her Doctor, but for me, it was just a bit hammy. The rest of the cast suffer from this as well, if not worse. It's just got a CBBC with a big budget feel for me.

It is a completely new show though, we do have to remember that. New writers, new cast, I think most of the directors are new too. I look forward to seeing how they grow in to the show and make it their own, but this was a safe start, with areas that are much improved, and areas that need to be improved. I managed to sit through the worst of Matt Smith/Steven Moffat, so I'm a long way from abandoning the show, but it's definitely going to take some getting used to.
I really enjoyed it - more than I expected tbh. First episodes with new Doctors aren’t usually fab; there’s always a trade off between having a plot/baddie and watching the new Doctor recover from regenerating.
I didn’t have the same issues with JW’s acting as you did @AngusWolfe - I thought she was great and got the whole “disoriented-as-feck but trying to hold it together to save lives” balance down pretty well. That said, I always feel a certain disconnect/“this isn’t right” with a new Doctor as everything is crashingly at odds with the familiarity of what (or Who;)) came before.

Stuff I liked: The new Doctor, the new background music - felt more minimal and less epically bombastic, no shit effects, the whole programme looked gorgeous, “Tim Shaw?”, the Doctor MAKING things again! #machineThatGoesDingTHROWBACK, good pacing, longer episode without the sudden rush to an ending that has happened over the last few series, WHERE is Ryan when he’s filming that vlog? Looks like a space ship. The Doctor is back to being a slightly haphazard space traveller with a time machine (currently missing) who helps where she can rather than the “demi God feared by all” Moffat had built him up to be. Sheffield piss head chucking the salad from his kebab at the alien:D, charity shop trip for clothes, fried egg sandwich FTW, huge spread of emotions across the first episode, Bradley Walsh not being an annoying twat, looks like the team joins the Doctor in the Tardis due to a fuck up by the Doctor! It’s increasingly been a bother to me over the last few years that theRevival companions (mostly female) have either died, been left stranded somewhere shit, had their memory wiped or...it doesn’t really end well for any of them tbh and yet the Doctor continues to beckon them in the door in a manner that reminds me more of Hansel and Gretal’s Candy House nightmare than anything else! Plus that conflicts to a CRAZY degree with the “never go anywhere with a strange man” message we roll out in schools and elsewhere so...yeah...GOOD TO SEE A NEW APPROACH!:D Still not much idea of what’s ahead. Spoiler free for once!:dance:

Stuff I didn’t like:
The Doctor not appearing to give a shit about the train driver dying, the brother of the missing girl or the old bloke being murdered in the warehouse and crane yard respectively. Or that Tim Shaw’s planet had a trophy room of humans kept in a state between alive and dead. WTAF to all of those?
Grace dying? Genuinely felt unnecessary.

I’m not going to make my mind up either until I’ve seen a good few more episodes but I have to say, based on Episode One, I’m really looking forward to seeing where this goes next.

Last edited:

bad alice

Slight tangent:
Have any of our Muricaland brethren watched the first episode of Dr Who Season 11 yet?
If you have, I’m wondering how you managed with the Yorkshire accents on display?
I fear that there may(?) be some communication *issues*...

:D