The 'What are you Playing now' Thread

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I couldn't find a similar thread and looking at threads like what are you listening now, or watching on tv etc, I thought this would be nice. So I'll start it off!

I usually play original songs by my band and have not focused on covers a lot. But because of the acoustic gig we did last weekend, we decided to include You Oughta Know by Alanis Morisette in our set, so I've been playing this version recently. Capo on the 2nd fret and pay attention to dynamics and you're good to go! I really enjoyed playing it. It's simple, yet fun and our vocalist nailed it!

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Cool idea for a thread @Tankman - nice one.
I rarely play covers and as such I know embarrassingly few songs written by other people!
But that’s okay as my own reasons for playing the guitar very much stem from getting the vast majority of my enjoyment out of writing riffs and songs for myself.
This has progressed into writing songs for my band and that’s what I’m doing a LOT of.
Also, I’ve found that by FAR the easiest way to communicate ideas for how I envisage a song sounding is to record GBand demos (with drums and bass included as a general guide - I’m always keen for my bassist and drummer to bring their own ideas to our songs #band) otherwise I end up standing another for much too long trying to explain what I hear happening which is especially tricky when none of us have a huge grasp of theory!:facepalm:
I defo need to practise some lead playing though.
I feel a weak area for me is soloing...
:cold:

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I used to write my songs with drums added already. Heck, I used to write complete songs and bring them to band practice. But that just doesn't work with my current band. So I usually bring a riff, or two riffs that fit after one another, without any drum and bass ideas and we just jam on them and see what happens. Sometimes a song is born. Sometimes we scrap it and try again a different day.

I've also had bands where I bring one riff and they say cool. Let us hear it again when the song is complete. I don't like that way of working, because it doesn't feel like a band. We currently write as a collective and that is so much fun! Sometimes we just jam with no riffs in minds and songs are born on the spot as well. It's awesome.

I've been wanting to get back into sitting down and learn some covers that I like. I can get quite inspired by doing that and you learn a lot from playing other people's songs. If I can find the time, this thread should become pretty busy with what I'm playing.

Sustainerplayer

On the edge of breakup
I've done the occasional cover through the times. But lately I actually done several.
I released this a little while ago:

And I've have just finished a cover of Killing Joke's "Love Like Blood" and one of the rather infamous U2 song "Love Comes Tumbling". Both will be released at some point - together with a cover of Visage's "Fade To Grey" - but that is entirely without guitars :D

More will come. :)

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
I'm actually taking a step back from thinking I know literally anything about guitar, for a bit, and trying to focus on some technical aspects of my playing (and lack thereof), so I can get myself to a level I'm comfortable with, and be more "useful" as a player, both in guitar as well as bass.
So... I'm playing scales... and learning various exercises.
Exciting, I know.

Buuut, I'm also trying to get an Andrew WK song down, so I can bother my friend with it, every time I visit him.
Andrew's songs are relatively "simple", but always super fun to play, if not slightly exhausting (fun, but exhausting, much like Andrew himself).

And up next...

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
I've always liked early ELO (later they got a bit to Eurovision for me). Recently learned the riff in ma-ma-ma belle. It's addictive. It stops me doing proper practice. Is this just me or does anyone else have riffs that once started block out all chance of proper practice being accomplished?

Wuzza

long time lurker
I've always liked early ELO (later they got a bit to Eurovision for me). Recently learned the riff in ma-ma-ma belle. It's addictive. It stops me doing proper practice. Is this just me or does anyone else have riffs that once started block out all chance of proper practice being accomplished?
My go to atm is Van Halen Summer Nights. I finally learnt the intro on acoustic some time ago. Never thought I would, it blew me away in my teens. (it possibly, maybe, not be note for note. :D)
Maybe I'll upload a vid sometime. (oh you lucky people you :p)

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Last weekend at band practice I found myself listening to a song we haven't played in a while and tyring to figure out what the hell I was doing. I figured out the riffs and chords quickly, but I apparently went crazy with an octave up whammy with delay on the solo. I could not recreate it, so we shelved the song for the night and I will be spending the next few weeks trying to figure out what the hell I was doing that day. Yay me!

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
Last weekend at band practice I found myself listening to a song we haven't played in a while and tyring to figure out what the hell I was doing. I figured out the riffs and chords quickly, but I apparently went crazy with an octave up whammy with delay on the solo. I could not recreate it, so we shelved the song for the night and I will be spending the next few weeks trying to figure out what the hell I was doing that day. Yay me!
Gotta love when you get that bit of emotion and inspiration to do something awesome, and you get it recorded and all, but then realize... you have NO idea what you actually did, or how you're going to do it again... I get that a lot.
I need to get everything on camera, so I can figure out what went right/wrong.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I was looking at my Ibanez K7 and felt sorry for not ever really playing it. Thinking of relearning a bunch of Korn songs and jamming out to them. As a kid I would home from school, turn on a Korn Live DVD and play along with the whole concert front to back. Good times.

beans & rice

I don't necessarily learn a whole song to play it for anyone or play along, since I don't have any intention to perform. I pick them because they make me work on something.
I recently added Long Cool Woman... by The Hollies. It might be simple, but it's got some naked swagger to it that makes it sound so good.
And that intro gets me every single time.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Not a song, but I've been playing with a different tuning. I tuned my acoustic to Open C yesterday, so low to high CGCGCE, and it is awesome. I then tried transcribing all of my bands songs to Open C as well. For some it worked really well. Others I had to figure out some new chords, which changed the voicing of the song a bit, but it sounded better in my opinion. We also have some songs in E, so for those I just tuned the low C up to D. The result is that every song is dropped 1 whole tone. I made some quick recordings and sent them to our singer to see if she can sing them a bit lower. I hope she can. I'm feeling very inspired by this tuning.

mirage2101

Can't go wrong with the classics. My teacher did a lesson or two on the song and I was really struggling with the first part back then. By magic and years of practice I can suddenly use the way he held the chords so it's a lot easier for me to play now.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck

Can't go wrong with the classics. My teacher did a lesson or two on the song and I was really struggling with the first part back then. By magic and years of practice I can suddenly use the way he held the chords so it's a lot easier for me to play now.
It's funny how that works. I remember plenty of songs I struggled with as a kid which I can now play. On the other hand, there are also some complicated songs I can still play of which I have no clue how I ever found the time and patience to figure the riffs out.