The Tattoo thread

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
I think this is required because a. Although I am un-inked I am interested in what people decorate themselves with and what it means to them. b. A lot of forumites are impressively coloured in and may wish to share. c. I have a specific question. I guess a lot of the Q and A may fall onto a certain well known member and I apologies if this turns bad for anyone.

Now as for the question. My daughter and her friends got a 'graduation' tat recently. They all had the same little icon behind the ear. Turns out a lot of tattooists won't do behind the ear. Eventually they found someone who would and the deed was done. Is there any good reason for that does anyone know?

So lets see what you've got and why you got it.

David R Ferguson

Stratoholic Blues Noodler
I have tattoos all over.
Started going them done when I was 16, or 17. Like a dumb ass.
So, a lot of them need to be touched up that I am 33.
Here is a newer one. This was taken the night I got it done.

It is a self portrait..... Just joking! That is SRV!

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
Nice. Those big portrait jobs - Impressive but you really have to put a lot of trust into the artist.
a. That they can do it a portrait at all
b. That they can do it how you want it.
I don't think I could trust someone enough.

SchecterPT

Turning into a crabbit old bastard.
I know that I want ink of some kind, been thinking about it for 6years, but I just don't know what I want. Been thinking about band names, video game logos and some art of some kind. Even thinking about a Grim Reaper seen as my dad "keeps away from him somehow" (his words, not mine).

There will be a day when I finally settle on something. I'm just lucky that in my area there are some great tattooists.

Chelseaem8

I want to get one that I designed, but I have to convince my husband first. I'm aiming to put it somewhere that is easily hidden for work, but yea....

We need more pictures to be posted. Tattoo art is quite amazing! :)

Blind Prophet

i'm hopefully getting my first one later this year. the artist that's done my wife's tattoos was booked until november but he's really good and since he did my wife's i want him to do mine too. it's going to be a painting my wife did a couple years back. there are actually two - eventually i think i will get one on each forearm.

I used to have a lot of tattoos, pretty ones came free with bags of crisps!

In all fairness I am not badass enough to be able to have one. IMHO you need a certain persona to be taken serious, by me at least.

Now funny tattoo art, is this debatable here? Lots of those around. Especially the epic failed spellingchecked ones!;)

Qinnyan

Dave, just Dave
I know what I want, just a matter of finding an artist who can take what I have created in my mind and put it on my skin. Is it difficult to tattoo small text? I want a treble clef on my left forearm about 4" tall. Rather than simple lines creating the shape, I want words...so as to look like lines from a distance.

MABLUNG

Ain't nobody like me but me.
I know what I want, just a matter of finding an artist who can take what I have created in my mind and put it on my skin. Is it difficult to tattoo small text? I want a treble clef on my left forearm about 4" tall. Rather than simple lines creating the shape, I want words...so as to look like lines from a distance.
There is a level of difficulty in small letting. But the biggest concern would be the longevity of the tattoo.
Over time and exposure to the sun tattoos fade/stretch/blur (because over time your skin gets older, thinner, and in some cases heavily sunburnt)
Doing a clef 4" is easy peasy.
Lettering that small... Can be done. But no guarantee on how long it will last (which is a bit counterproductive as ot is supposed to be a permanent mark on the skin)

Out of interest- what are the words you are thinking of having?

Qinnyan

Dave, just Dave
There is a level of difficulty in small letting. But the biggest concern would be the longevity of the tattoo.
Over time and exposure to the sun tattoos fade/stretch/blur (because over time your skin gets older, thinner, and in some cases heavily sunburnt)
Doing a clef 4" is easy peasy.
Lettering that small... Can be done. But no guarantee on how long it will last (which is a bit counterproductive as ot is supposed to be a permanent mark on the skin)

Out of interest- what are the words you are thinking of having?
It is sort of a tribute to my son. somehow incorporated in the clef, I would like the words "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" and the date October 6th, 1993

I may need to re-think the design with the lettering, Thanks for your input.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Alright, I've shared this before but well, since there's a THREAD about it?!! It'd be churlish not too...;)
Mitch and I have been through some difficult and, on occasion, life threatening situations due to the utter b*llocks of mental illness - which we battle both in our chosen careers and in a much more ordinary, painful everyday-in-our-own-heads kind of way too.
One of the most "challenging" times was in 2008 when I had to spend just under 7 months in a psychiatric ward - my longest ever stay. That was hard enough on both of us - enforced separation is never easy - and when you add to that that Mitch's Mum was dying (and died) of cancer and that our wedding date had to be pushed back three times because the doctors and nurses kept telling us to postpone (because I was really, really ill and we were being repeatedly told that the chances of a meaningful recovery were slim at best)...well...it was a TOUGH time.:(
Anyway, before you all get your hankies out, that was 7 1/2 years ago and Mitch and I have been so-very-happily married for 7 of those since then. A FAB wedding was had too but that's another story for another time.:)
Mitch is 16 years older than me (but such a boy at heart!) and I do sometimes worry that I might find myself alone again later in life. So, a couple of Xmas's ago we thought of an idea to make sure that we will always "be with" each other. Like most (all?) married couples our top priority is always each other's welfare and happiness; especially when we are apart - whether that's because of a hospital admission or something more mundane, like a work meeting or a trip to the supermarket . So the idea was for a tattoo to remind us as individuals that even when we feel a little stressed, vulnerable or alone that we will always be there for each other and that love is a wonderful and enduring thing.
The only fly in the ointment was that, because I can get a little paranoid at times, permanently etching a picture or words onto my skin that could in anyway be twisted by my unwell brain required a LOT of thought and pre planning! How could we make a tattoo completely "unthreatening"? Tricky, huh?
And then we had a GREAT idea. We contacted a tattooist that had been recommended to us and asked if would be possible to have a phrase written on our wrists in each other's handwriting? The tattooist said "Yep" and instructed us to each write out what we wanted, size it on our individual wrists and then bring in the written piece so he could trace over it. Boom, sorted! It didn't even hurt - just a teeny scratch. And here they are...

Mine says "Keep you safe, BM (and then there's the flowers Mitch uses to sign off instead of xx)" and his says "Keep you safe, WBx"...in each other's (scrawly) handwriting.:) Yes, BM and WB are the initials of our personal nicknames for each other and no, I am not going to reveal what they are!:D The tattooist did a terrific job; mine might look a little faint in parts but he actually managed to perfectly represent the heaviness of our pen strokes - I continue to marvel at the detail!
Anyway, we're chuffed to bits with them and they're brilliant as if I (or Mitch) is ever feeling a little nervous or whatever, we can just pull back a cuff and glance down at the tattoo. Instant LOVE!:dance:
So, there you have it. Romance is not dead.
Well, not as long as we have anything to do with it...
:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dj_host

Out To Lunch. Missing, presumed fed
I'm uninked at the moment too, but am hoping to get a tribute tattoo for my grandma at some point. She was a massive influence in my life, but sadly passed away when I was 16. Thinking of something Viking related, as she was a big lover of Norse mythology and history, and passed that on to myself.