The RCF Kemper Profiler Thread

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
If it's a studio profile opposed to a merged profile then that may well be the case. But if it sounds as good as a great sounding amp then it's mission accomplished. I like the part where Rob states that it's a profiler, not an amplifier and Lee replies that it is an amplifier as it takes a guitar and makes it loud. That it can sound much like many amps, in a small, light weight chassis packed full of other features is a bonus in my mind.

I've seen videos aplenty where people do certain, specific things to analyse the sound, listening to the fade of a bent note repeatedly for example to try to identify a digital device. I think there's a sense of achievement for some that they want to be able to find it. I've no issue with those that do but I can't see a relevance. I'm not interested in the science, i want the art.

Am I playing guitar? Yes. Does it sound amazing? Yes. Does it sound different to another amp? Er, of course.
Though I like him, Chappers has rarely—possibly, never—been especially articulate in an Andertons video.

I am certainly “guilty” of having devised ways to distinguish digital modeling/profiling (and analog, solid-state circuits) from tubes, only in the face of a challenge; it is vaguely insulting when someone says “no one can tell the difference” because I have not been fooled once (in maybe a dozen infrequent tests). The implication is that I am lying to myself and others, and that has been stated explicitly more than once.

As I have stated previously, my problem with the adage “if it sounds good, then it is good” is that function matters. A nontube amp which sounds good to someone can became a source of frustration when it does not interact with other gear in the manner expected. Though various digital modeling/profiling amps and preamps have improved substantially with regard to taking pedals well, I do not know of any which respond to increased output the way a tube preamp will. This does not matter for most guitarists, for precisely the same reason that “Jimmy Page wiring” is still unusual and most Teles still do not have four-way blade switches. Hell, most of the top-tier digital modelers/profilers do not have public input limit specifications (e.g. Kemper).

I have resigned myself to settling for a modeler in the relatively near future, and I certainly hope that I will lose myself in tweaking rather than continually lament having lost of one of my passions.

Chu

Yeah I don't really care too much where the sound comes from but I am bit of a gear nerd so I like to know what's happening when I like the sound.

As for amp/profiler I call it an amp just for ease.

At any rate this video goes to show that pedals can stand toe to toe with the big heads.
I agree entirely and I think we're all gear nerds here to an extent. I've no beef at all with anyone that wants an all-valve signal path, I can see the appeal both for the audio and psychological reasons. I'm by no means uneducated regarding technology, it's more that I am willing to take something at face value.

Though I like him, Chappers has rarely—possibly, never—been especially articulate in an Andertons video.

I am certainly “guilty” of having devised ways to distinguish digital modeling/profiling (and analog, solid-state circuits) from tubes, only in the face of a challenge; it is vaguely insulting when someone says “no one can tell the difference” because I have not been fooled once (in maybe a dozen infrequent tests). The implication is that I am lying to myself and others, and that has been stated explicitly more than once.

As I have stated previously, my problem with the adage “if it sounds good, then it is good” is that function matters. A nontube amp which sounds good to someone can became a source of frustration when it does not interact with other gear in the manner expected. Though various digital modeling/profiling amps and preamps have improved substantially with regard to taking pedals well, I do not know of any which respond to increased output the way a tube preamp will. This does not matter for most guitarists, for precisely the same reason that “Jimmy Page wiring” is still unusual and most Teles still do not have four-way blade switches. Hell, most of the top-tier digital modelers/profilers do not have public input limit specifications (e.g. Kemper).

I have resigned myself to settling for a modeler in the relatively near future, and I certainly hope that I will lose myself in tweaking rather than continually lament having lost of one of my passions.
If you can hear it, you can hear it. As valves and signal path tech is a passion of yours, I believe you'll be trying to hear it. That's not a slight, it's just the logical result of your interest. My approach is different, despite having physics and music tech qualifications I find the theory can quickly steal the enjoyment from a subject and so I avoid getting in too deep. That's probably why I enjoyed the video, I took it as entertainment demonstrating differences in gear. That said, with most guitarists I have contact with in the flesh I usually have full on nerd type knowledge in comparison!

I think it's unfair to say that a non-tube amp can become frustrating when it doesn't interact as expected. The same applies to all-valve amps too. If you buy the wrong thing, it will likely frustrate you; that's the way I see it. You say that it is vaguely insulting to say that no one can tell the difference and I'm not going to disagree, I'd probably say the same. But this comes across very condescending :

I will have to see whether it was his same problem recognizing headroom.
I respect your interests and I know that you respect mine. There are reasons to enjoy both sides. For example, I can appreciate why a four way Tele switch would be beneficial but if you don't use position four, that switch becomes a source of frustration when trying to find position two in a hurry.

I will get round to recording a video sometime soon, demonstrating just what I do with my Kemper, Liquid Foot +12+ and Famc LT100. It would need some editing to show all the things going on at once but yet so easy to do whilst playing. My rig is crazily over the top, the midi commands chains get longer and longer....For example press a footswitch it activates a slow change in the Kemper moving from high gain rhythm to cleanish with delay and reverb. Press same switch again and it activates the looper to record. Press it again it plays back the loop, triggers a long, held string sample, dwells for 1 second so the loop sounds natural, gradually moves the clean tone to a high gain lead.... There's more that happens on the fourth time too......

Robstafarian

But this comes across very condescending:
Sorry, I could not think of a better way to write that. In two recent videos, I think they were the two most recent times Chappers was challenged with a Kemper, the key distinction I could find in the sounds demonstrated was the difference in power-amp headroom; in both videos, it was quite clear that Chappers did not hear what I was hearing. My purpose in mentioning that was to clarify how close the Kemper can sound, in typical usage, to an experienced guitarist: I suspect that an experienced bassist or sound engineer would catch the difference. After all, I learned to hear such differences due to my bass and PA gear research. More to the point, I wonder whether Chappers's continued usage of a Kemper has informed his ears.

Chu

Sorry, I could not think of a better way to write that. In two recent videos, I think they were the two most recent times Chappers was challenged with a Kemper, the key distinction I could find in the sounds demonstrated was the difference in power-amp headroom; in both videos, it was quite clear that Chappers did not hear what I was hearing. My purpose in mentioning that was to clarify how close the Kemper can sound, in typical usage, to an experienced guitarist: I suspect that an experienced bassist or sound engineer would catch the difference. After all, I learned to hear such differences due to my bass and PA gear research. More to the point, I wonder whether Chappers's continued usage of a Kemper has informed his ears.
FYI I have a degree in music tech and have been sound technician in a number of venues across a selection of arts/genres. I also play bass through my Kemper and have done more than a few gigs as such (pre KPA).... My point being, I'm not looking for a difference. I'm certain that if I did, I might hear one but then which is better? My work recording and live engineering with guitarists taught me that their hard earned tone may not be the best thing for the situation. High pass filter activated.... Low pass filter activated.... Parametric EQ on....

It's entirely subjective and there never, ever will be a 'best'.

ed lespaul

Like anything else, some Britt profiles are great, others not so much. When I first bought some Brit profiles, I just didn't "get it". I hated ALL of them. I routinely revisit profile packs every few months, because my tastes seem to change, or the sound I'm looking for has changed. I now have about 10 Britt profiles as my favorites. But, my favorites change from time to time.

A-D-L

Northern Monkey
Like anything else, some Britt profiles are great, others not so much. When I first bought some Brit profiles, I just didn't "get it". I hated ALL of them. I routinely revisit profile packs every few months, because my tastes seem to change, or the sound I'm looking for has changed. I now have about 10 Britt profiles as my favorites. But, my favorites change from time to time.
I've only tried the free pack and they do seem quite good. Especially having decent volume without clipping. I won't buy high gain packs from him though. Mostly because they're not high gain enough and are more evocative of the 80s high gain sound vs say the more modern metal that I play.

If he's got good profiles for blues and jazz i'm in.

Chu

I struggled a little until I started focussing on profiles made with similar guitars to what I use. I found that many M Britt profiles were created from amps dialled in for single coil equipped guitars. Ones made for LPs got me closer but most of the ones on RigExchange made for PRS guitars are very close. I have a stack of TAF stuff and a small amount of Britt profiles but barely any of them are used frequently.

ed lespaul

I struggled a little until I started focussing on profiles made with similar guitars to what I use. I found that many M Britt profiles were created from amps dialled in for single coil equipped guitars. Ones made for LPs got me closer but most of the ones on RigExchange made for PRS guitars are very close. I have a stack of TAF stuff and a small amount of Britt profiles but barely any of them are used frequently.
Most packs come with multiple profiles for different pickup types. I usually play humbuckers but haven't had a problem. Are you changing your clean sense when you use different/lower output pickups?

Chu

Most packs come with multiple profiles for different pickup types. I usually play humbuckers but haven't had a problem. Are you changing your clean sense when you use different/lower output pickups?
Nope. Two of my guitars have twin humbuckers, the other two have a humbucker in the bridge and p90 in the neck, so I don't need to adjust it per guitar as they're all very similar. One of the large TAF packs I bought was split into Strat, Tele and LP folders. Unsurprisingly, the Strat ones sounded complete garbage to my ears and the Tele not much better. The LP folder was the one that had useable tones but still hit and miss. I quite liked a Friedman model from it but not the Marshalls. I bought a 30th Anniversary Marshall 6100 pack, it is one of my favourite Marshalls ever and didn't like anything from it at all.

The first M Britt pack I bought stunned me as to how bad they sounded, upon reading I could see that few had been dialled with a humbucker. I found a pack created from modern pickup guitar and thought they sounded better.

It's not a gain issue, they would sound like the cabinet was covered with blankets, very muddy or boxy. I'd found a few profiles that I loved and once i realised that a common factor was the pickup model, I went down that route; hence my advice.

I should point out to non-KPA owners, the pickup has no relevance to the profile capture as such, there is no guitar plugged in to the amp when profiling. It is how the amp is dialled in to start with. If you plug a Strat into an amp, you will likely set it differently than you would a PRS Custom.

ed lespaul

In reference to an ADA-MP1 thread, I posted that I was having ADA-MP1 G.A.S., and that I found a couple in my area for around $200-$250 range. I was looking up everything about it, and was contemplating getting one.

I decided against buying the ADA-MP1 and purchasing the ADA-MP1 profiles from Big Hairy Profiles. Let me just say WOW, F'ing WOW. These profiles are leaps and bounds beyond the other ADA-MP profiles I have used, and I actually liked those. I am just completely floored by these. So much so, that a couple of these may end up being my "go to" sound (along with my Lynch profiles).

In the end it was an easy choice: Buy an ADA-MP1 and learn a new, but really old, system, or try the profiles. $200 vs $15 made it an easy choice. I am totally thrilled with these profiles.

I can't recommend these profiles enough for anyone into 80's "hair bands". Just fantastic.

ed lespaul

[Originally posted in smile thread]

I just bought Top Jimi's Brown Sound Kemper Profiles. Holy S, I am blown away. I can 't get passed the Van Halen I profile. It is totally dead on. It even makes me sound good :p:D

This video was the one that made me purchase it.

Robstafarian

I thought there was an unwritten rule that you had to be an active participant in the forums to hock your wares on this forum. ReAmpZone has 8 posts, all about their profiles.

Is that allowed now?
Nope! Of course, you have missed me pointing that out for more than a year because you ignore my posts.