The RCF Kemper Profiler Thread

A-D-L

Northern Monkey
Hey everyone. There's a few of using this thing on the forum and it seems to be gaining more main stream popularity. So I thought I'd create the one stop shop for hot Kemper content and Q&A. I love mine and I know the others do too. So here we can share some profiles we found, clips of us playing it and answer any questions our lovely forum folk may have. Interested?

Chu

All of this software update talk....

It's rather sexy. In a very kinky way. Kemper, where have you been all my life :heart:
Tread carefully there young man.... :p

Still, would you be upset to be told that you could spend 10 minutes connected to the internet and receive a Strymon Timeline free of charge? :cool:

Lone Star

Tread carefully there young man.... :p

Still, would you be upset to be told that you could spend 10 minutes connected to the internet and receive a Strymon Timeline free of charge? :cool:
Within 10 minutes of being online I could..... mmmmm, better not mention boobies here. No, I mustn't.

To answer your question though... no, I think I'd end up spending most of my playing time setting up my tone from the heinous variety of options. I'm too straight forward to get into this stuff mate. It's obviously a wonderful piece of kit but it's not me.

Chu

Within 10 minutes of being online I could..... mmmmm, better not mention boobies here. No, I mustn't.

To answer your question though... no, I think I'd end up spending most of my playing time setting up my tone from the heinous variety of options. I'm too straight forward to get into this stuff mate. It's obviously a wonderful piece of kit but it's not me.
I always say it when talking about Kemper but it definitely isn't for everyone. If you play at home with a good amp and a couple of pedals, the only real benefit would be the option to try new amp models out. But then as you mention, it can become a rabbit warren of spending time trying out new profiles instead of playing.

For me it's been about what the Kemper can replace. I use mine as my bedroom amp, my recording amp to my PC and for band practices and gigs. I've always been happy to forgo effects pedals and go straight to my amp but I've come to realize that the style of music I play does benefit from some judicious use of effects, if only to avoid the live renditions sounding too far removed from the heavily multitracked recordings.

If I was to play a typical 2 channel amp, I'd need a wah, two ODs, a programmeable delay (or three delay pedals) a tremolo, rotary speaker simulator and a programmeable reverb. I'm a set and forget type guy, I don't want to have to dial in effects settings between songs so I'd also need a loop/switch controller (gigrig type as tap dancing is beyond me when singing), PSU and hardcase to ensure it all survives. That not only costs a lot, weighs a lot but has a tendency to cause reliability issues unless very well built. My midi board recalls everything with one press and weighs nothing.

Another benefit is that after a band practice, I can leave the midi controller in the cupboard and still play with all the great tones I'm used to, either to the cab or headphones. I used to end up playing at home with a really basic sound/unplugged because I couldn't be bothered to unpack everything but that's no longer the case, the Kemper is always plugged back in and ready to go.

Also it saves me needing to rely on the soundman when I'm using my in ear monitors at gigs as it goes straight to my rack and I get the same sound every time. And it's very light and fairly small.

Strangely, I spend very little time fiddling with the controls and menus. When I had my Line 6 HD500 & DT25 setup I'd spend more time tweaking than playing (probably because I never felt the tone was what I wanted) but I think I spend less time tweaking than I did with proper amps!

doctorpaul

Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.
Staff member
I was looking at the rack version just last night.
A powered version has my interest; if the FX are decent then it could replace half of my rig, the other half would still allow my Marshall fetish to survive.
If cab emulation is disabled, can the output be dumped straight to guitar cabs?
Presumably so ...

Chu

You can globally disable the cabinet emulation or leave it on for the main outputs (and headphones) and switch it off on the monitor output. On the powered version (which I have) the speaker output copies the monitor ouput settings. So yes, you can switch it off but it is more advanced than that as you could run a cab without emulation and yet still feed something else with it on.

There are two types of profile, studio and direct. Studio are captured from a mic in front of the speaker and the Kemper uses an algorithm to remove the speaker from the profile. Direct are captured from suitable DI boxes from the speaker output of the amp and therefore are more accurate if you're using a real guitar cabinet. Personally I didn't find that either where universally better when I was using a guitar cabinet.

Last edited:

DrKarnivore

Browsing your web and SMS history
Staff member
I really wish they'd release a player only version. I've got not desire or facility to do my own profiling, but would love something I could just acquire or buy profiles for. If they did that for like 900 quid in a smaller form factor it would be killer.

Chu

I really wish they'd release a player only version. I've got not desire or facility to do my own profiling, but would love something I could just acquire or buy profiles for. If they did that for like 900 quid in a smaller form factor it would be killer.
That's what I would have bought if it existed and it is frequently requested on the Kemper forum. I suspect that those that buy a more expensive profiler would get rather annoyed that there are owners of cheaper player versions that can download their stuff free and never give anything back, despite people lime me doing just that anyway.

A-D-L

Northern Monkey
Select an effects block and turn the type knob until you find the delays (not the browse knob).
Will report back shortly.
Edit: Thank you, that was it. I am a moron.
Thing is though, it would only be removing a single I/O section in terms of hardware. Profiling is all software based. So even if they did I can't imagine the savings would be all that much.

Chu

Will report back shortly.
Edit: Thank you, that was it. I am a moron.
Are you running Rig Manager 2.0? If you are, connect the Kemper and check out the rig packs for the delays in 5.1

There're a bunch of profiles (all done with an AC30) created by the Kemper team to expand upon the presets.

Also The Amp Factory Friedman BE100 pack (purchase only) has become my favourite again. The Clean+ and Cranked profiles are simply marvellous.