The 'Quick question' Thread

I got a Toms'line Plexion a month ago which I guess is similar; I think they are all based off a Carl Martin Golden Plexi?

Anyway, killer little pedal for very, very cheap cheap. A bit noisy, but then, so is a real valve stack ;)
Ah yes the Plexitone.

Definitely thinking about it, only heard the Golden Plexi in the front of an amp rather than how I'm intending on using it. May give it a punt.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Ah yes the Plexitone.

Definitely thinking about it, only heard the Golden Plexi in the front of an amp rather than how I'm intending on using it. May give it a punt.
I’ve fortuntate enough to own both the Tone City Golden Plexi and the Carl Martin Plexitone in my pre Helix days
IMO the Golden Plexi has a good bit more gain available than the Plexitone.
Not sure that’s necessarily relevant here but I thought it worth mentioning nonetheless...
:)

I’ve fortuntate enough to own both the Tone City Golden Plexi and the Carl Martin Plexitone in my pre Helix days
IMO the Golden Plexi has a good bit more gain available than the Plexitone.
Not sure that’s necessarily relevant here but I thought it worth mentioning nonetheless...
:)
All relevant, I'm defo thinking the Model M with a gate afterwards...Pedalboard-Only Rig GAS is giving me a headache :D

Someone from Facebook Marketplace wants to try out, and potentially buy, my Peavey C30.

Anyone had someone come to their house to try out/buy something? Am I right to feel uneasy about that? Any tips?

Tankman

Someone from Facebook Marketplace wants to try out, and potentially buy, my Peavey C30.

Anyone had someone come to their house to try out/buy something? Am I right to feel uneasy about that? Any tips?
Yes! It's always highly uncomfortable, you will always fear them backing out of a deal (it's happened to me) and you will always want them out of your house ASAP. Same goes the other way around. Went to a guy's house twice. Once to trade a guitar, once for my Hot Rod Deluxe. I just want to get out of there ASAP.

I had one guy come over for a Strat I was selling. He placed a bid. I accepted and he said, I will come in an hour. He did. He was a big guy who smelled like gymsocks and cigarettes. He grabbed the guitar, looked at it for 10 seconds and said: 'Nah. I won't take it for the agreed amount.' He gave it back and left.

15 minutes later I get a notifications that he removed his initial bid. That made sense. He didn't want it. 1 minute later I get another notification from the same guy for a lower bid. I told him that I thought he didn't want it. He did, for the lower amount. So I thought, screw you. Why didn't you just say that when you were in my house. Out of principal, I did not sell him the guitar. Good thing too. I sold it for €100 more than his initial bid a few days later.

Yes! It's always highly uncomfortable, you will always fear them backing out of a deal (it's happened to me) and you will always want them out of your house ASAP. Same goes the other way around. Went to a guy's house twice. Once to trade a guitar, once for my Hot Rod Deluxe. I just want to get out of there ASAP.

I had one guy come over for a Strat I was selling. He placed a bid. I accepted and he said, I will come in an hour. He did. He was a big guy who smelled like gymsocks and cigarettes. He grabbed the guitar, looked at it for 10 seconds and said: 'Nah. I won't take it for the agreed amount.' He gave it back and left.

15 minutes later I get a notifications that he removed his initial bid. That made sense. He didn't want it. 1 minute later I get another notification from the same guy for a lower bid. I told him that I thought he didn't want it. He did, for the lower amount. So I thought, screw you. Why didn't you just say that when you were in my house. Out of principal, I did not sell him the guitar. Good thing too. I sold it for €100 more than his initial bid a few days later.
Cool I didn't know if I was just being stupid thinking that way. Selling the USA C30 for £200, I think that's fair, if he wants to play silly buggers then he ain't getting it, and stand firm on my price.

I've had people come over many times when selling things in the past, only one from Facebook though but that was when I sold my Chapman. You can usually tell beforehand if the person is someone you wouldn't like to do business with and in most other cases it's just fine. The only thing to worry about is if you're easily persuaded regarding the price, some people seem to have a hard time standing their ground on a good price in fear of losing the sale.

mirage2101

I've bought and sold a lot of stuff second hand.
When selling I sell nothing under a certain amount because I don't think it's worth the hassle. I don't like sending stuff by mail so I just don't do that. If anything isn't on my conditions, fine don't buy it.
If at all possible I put the stuff in the living room or kitchen so buyers don't have to go through the entire house.
As an exception I have met people at work or the train station to sell stuff but honestly I don't like to do it. It generally means long cold waits and bullshit about the price. If someone argues about the price that's it. Goodbye.
On the bright side. I've also had a guy in his early 20s come over for something and it turned out he walked to my place from the train station. So I gave him a lift there. If it was me or my kid I'd want someone else to do the same.
I spend an hour jamming with a guy who bought a pedal of me.

On the buying side I've walked away from deals I didn't trust, conditions different then advertised etc.
But I've also been to great people who offered me a cup of coffee and all the time in the world to test an amp and had great chats with.

It really depends on what you're selling and what price. The cheaper stuff tends to attract a bit more dodgy people while more expensive and music stuff tends to attract enthousiasts and great people.
I've had psychopats buying an old couch for 200 euro.. A great guy buying an old hifi amp for 1200 eurowho came with a bottle of wine the next day because he was so happy.
It's all sorts really.

I've sold a couple of guitars recently, and three people came to see them at my home. This is a bit different because I had placed an advert at work, so they are all professional people and I didn't have any fears about them casing the place for future robberies or anything. The one who didn't buy a guitar instead invited me to go and have a look at his collection, and then he invited me to play bass with him and a drummer friend, so I've now gone and jammed with them a couple of times which has been cool. It looks like it will be a regular thing, and it's the first time that I've played instruments with other people (have done a lot of singing in am dram but that's a bit different).

Thanks all for the input, nice to hear all kinds of positive experiences as well, this guy messed me around something chronic so the deal is off for him. But I feel better about putting it up for sale again via other means.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Some people I've sold guitars to have been great, some stayed for a chat, others were in and out. If they come to my house they know the price and I won't budge because I priced to sell and any more money off is just a piss take. There's been some misunderstandings e.g the guy that thought the guitar I was selling (no hardware or pups) was useless because it had Buzz Feiten but not the bridge. I had to explain several times that it had nothing to do with the bridge, any bridge would do the job. He was a decent enough chap but he did start to get a little annoyed for a bit before I just went looking for the bridge. I gave him the bridge for free and he bought the pups too when he realized I still had them (I used them in different guitars for a while).

I've been to a couple of other peoples houses too and they were cool.

I always send my messages in full text, no unnecessary abbreviations and formal or well written like I would do for work. I put my stuff out in the living room so they don’t have to bounce around all the bits. I let them check the stuff however they want and stay at their side to help or answer whenever needed.

In turn I expect a more or less normal message back, so slightly respectful/formal. I only give out my exact details after we’ve agreed on a definitive price, date and time, before that only my general name and town is known.

mirage2101

I always send my messages in full text, no unnecessary abbreviations and formal or well written like I would do for work. I put my stuff out in the living room so they don’t have to bounce around all the bits. I let them check the stuff however they want and stay at their side to help or answer whenever needed.

In turn I expect a more or less normal message back, so slightly respectful/formal. I only give out my exact details after we’ve agreed on a definitive price, date and time, before that only my general name and town is known.
Good tips. It never hurts to be polite, adult and careful.

I tried to buy a Mesa mark v:25 a while ago. She wanted to get more for it. So I said I get it and you know where to find me if you change your mind. A month later I was near the place she lived by coincidence and the amp was still up. So I send her a message saying that I was near in case she changed her mind but no hard feelings if she didn’t.
She proceeded to call me insane and that it was a great deal etc. so I should be ashamed..
It gave me great pleasure when she sent me a message a while after that asking if I was still interested for the price I offered earlier.
No I am not.. I’d rather pay the full price to someone else thank you very much.

Let’s say she didn’t respond well.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Good tips. It never hurts to be polite, adult and careful.

I tried to buy a Mesa mark v:25 a while ago. She wanted to get more for it. So I said I get it and you know where to find me if you change your mind. A month later I was near the place she lived by coincidence and the amp was still up. So I send her a message saying that I was near in case she changed her mind but no hard feelings if she didn’t.
She proceeded to call me insane and that it was a great deal etc. so I should be ashamed..
It gave me great pleasure when she sent me a message a while after that asking if I was still interested for the price I offered earlier.
No I am not.. I’d rather pay the full price to someone else thank you very much.

Let’s say she didn’t respond well.
:D