The Pro Wrestling Thread

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
It seems Paul Heyman's influence is already showing. He is supposedly a big fan of Ricochet because of him appealing to teens, which is a demographic the WWE has been losing on. Ricochet has won the US Championship and main evented 2 RAW's in a row now, defeating AJ Styles in the process.
It sounds like he's going to get a decent push. I've seen a few of his matches outside of WWE, very impressive.

alonious_monk

Permanently Tired
Cool. I'm finishing work about an hour before the pre show starts so I've got times to pick up a few drinks for Ker and I to have while watching it.
The only downside is I have to drink coffee instead of beer and patrols may land in the middle of a great match. I missed Cody vs. Dustin thanks to a patrol grrrrrrrrrr.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
The only downside is I have to drink coffee instead of beer and patrols may land in the middle of a great match. I missed Cody vs. Dustin thanks to a patrol grrrrrrrrrr.
Nooooooooooo! The Rhodes match was soooo good. I'm looking forward to see what they do with the Young Bucks tonight, it's got potential to go so many ways.

mirage2101

So I don't know if this is the same wrestling we're talking about. But as I'm watching GLOW with my wife.. I'm remembering bits and pieces of 90s show wrestling with the undertaker and that kind of guys..
So after getting excited again because of GLOW, where to start? What's a good show to watch?

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
So I don't know if this is the same wrestling we're talking about. But as I'm watching GLOW with my wife.. I'm remembering bits and pieces of 90s show wrestling with the undertaker and that kind of guys..
So after getting excited again because of GLOW, where to start? What's a good show to watch?
I've only just come back to regularly watching wrestling myself, the formation of All Elite Wrestling sparked my interest again. It seems a lot of their fans are made up of people that used to watch wrestling back in the 90's. The "Buy In" pre shows are available on their YouTube channel and the 3 pay per views are on the Fite TV website / app. There will be a weekly TV show starting later I'm in the year. Get in in the ground floor! There's been some great matches.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
The WWE posts slightly condensed versions of Raw and Smackdown every week on YouTube for the Dutch audience since we don't get it on any tv network. If you really get into it, you can subscribe to the WWE Network. Monthly PPV's, original documentaries and shows and a shitload of classic content, also from ECW and WCW. It's $10 a month and the first month is free.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
The WWE posts slightly condensed versions of Raw and Smackdown every week on YouTube for the Dutch audience since we don't get it on any tv network. If you really get into it, you can subscribe to the WWE Network. Monthly PPV's, original documentaries and shows and a shitload of classic content, also from ECW and WCW. It's $10 a month and the first month is free.
I saw a clip of Bray Wyatt returning last night to WWE. I'm not familiar with him but the mask and music made for a really creepy gimmick, I liked it. The first thing I thought when I saw him take out Finn Balor was they might have him do his demon gimmick when they face off eventually, demon v demon (is there an explanation of Wyatt's new look?).

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I saw a clip of Bray Wyatt returning last night to WWE. I'm not familiar with him but the mask and music made for a really creepy gimmick, I liked it. The first thing I thought when I saw him take out Finn Balor was they might have him do his demon gimmick when they face off eventually, demon v demon (is there an explanation of Wyatt's new look?).
Wyatt has always been a bit of a creepy guy, but it was always more of a cult/voodooish type vibe. He had his followers who usually wore some kind of sheep mask. They would take these off when wrestling. They lost their edge at some point. Wyatt became a babyface winnig the tag titles with Matt Hardy. When Matt got injured he was left with nothing to do. His career was in a rut and creative had nothing for him.

The reports have been that this whole new gimmick is completely his own idea and he gets to be creative with it. He has been appearing in pre-recorded segments for weeks now on RAW hosting something like a children's tv show. The scenery has a Blues Clues vibe. At first it seemed innocent. Then his sidekicks started appearing and those are pretty much creepy puppets of a buzzard and sister Abigail which are all parts of his previous gimmick. He also mocked his first WWE Gimmick Husky Harris as being a fat pig and that exercise helped him get rid of him. He also put a chainsaw to a cardboard cutout of the original Bray Wyatt gimmick. At some point he also started talking about the friend. When the friend was finally revealed, it was pretty much Bray in that awesome mask which is designed and made by the same guy who has been doing the Slipknot masks.

It's hard to explain really. You should really watch all the segments in chronological order. Bray Wyatt is awesome. I always liked him. In the ring, he's very good. He moves quite fast for such a big guy. His old gimmick did get stale. Also the movements of the Wyatt Family made things complicated. First it was Wyatt, Luke Harper and Eric Rowan. Then they added Braun Strowman. Then they split, everybody went single. Then they got put back together. Then half got put back together. It got too complicated to the point where nobody cared. Bray did have a short WWE Title run 1 or 2 years ago.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Ok...Lesnar is not the champ anymore. Time to start showing just a tiny bit of interest again.

I'm going to the WWE Live show in Amsterdam in November. It's going to be a RAW branded show. Excited to see Seth Rollins as champ (hopefully). Also, I started watching TNA in 2004 when they started doing Impact weekly on Fox Sports. It caught my attention because I recognized some old WCW guys there next to some new talent. One of the new guys that caught my attention was AJ Styles. I always wanted to see this man perform live. Last year, that came true as he was on Smackdwon as the champ and we got a Smackdown Branded live show in Amsterdam. He's on RAW now and I can't believe I will get to see him for a second time!