The Pro Wrestling Thread

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Nothing like setting the timer on your VHS to record WCW on ITV at 3 in the morning, and pray you got the entire episode in the end.
:D Good times. WCW Worldwide is what hooked me on wresting, I remember the run up to Superbrawl 2 and being utterly gutted they didn't show it on ITV. I had no idea what a PPV was back then.

alonious_monk

Permanently Tired
:D Good times. WCW Worldwide is what hooked me on wresting, I remember the run up to Superbrawl 2 and being utterly gutted they didn't show it on ITV. I had no idea what a PPV was back then.
I remember as a youngster, being legit afraid of Big Van Vader lol, was a fantastic time in wrestling. Scott Steiner was awesome in a time when he could still move his joints properly.

Wuzza

long time lurker
Nothing like setting the timer on your VHS to record WCW on ITV at 3 in the morning, and pray you got the entire episode in the end.
I wasn't the only one!! :D
Remember seeing Sting around that time (WOOOOOOO) Sid Vicious, Legion of Doom et al.
Saw nothing after that until 2000, when Royal Rumble was on TV. Hardys/Dudleys + Cactus Jack/HHH MSG in the street fight blew my mind. Bought quite a few bootleg vids after that, including the Foley/Funk Japanese death match. Attitude era was where it was at imo. Heat was on Channel 4 every Sunday. Lita debuted with Essay Rois? Remember King going mental for Lita.
The one thing that I always find amusing, especially with women, (no offence) is I often got berating for watching that stupid, fake wrestling. They'd then go on to wax lyrical about what happened on EastEnders/Corrie last night...… Really?

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Yep. TBH it wasn't as "amazing" as it was made out to be imo. I actually got a bit bored after about an hour. Watched it all for bragging rights, but it kinda showed how much story and commentary brings to a match.
You know what you're going to get with that type of wrestling for sure. I was still pretty new to the whole hardcore style at the time as I'd only just found my first tape trader.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Double Or Nothing was officially awesome! I can't remember the last time I enjoyed watching wrestling that much. Wow!
I found some short clips of matches on YouTube and some promos. It totally surprised. It felt like WCW or TNA in their top days. Very cool. I might try and find the whole show online.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I found some short clips of matches on YouTube and some promos. It totally surprised. It felt like WCW or TNA in their top days. Very cool. I might try and find the whole show online.
It took me right back to when ECW held their first ever PPV, the stakes were high but they pulled it off. The show genuinely excited me, it seems AEW is a company that wants the wrestlers to be themselves and be the best they can, I'm really looking forward to seeing where that takes them.

The Rhodes match an old school story driven classic, the surprise highlight of the night for me.

Production had a couple of kinks to iron out (nothing that would spoil the card) but it was the first show so I have no doubt it'll get slicker.

There was a lot of impressive talent on display and crazy moves, the crowd were also on fire for the whole show. AEW have a very real chance of changing the game, a genuine paradigm shift in my eyes. It's early days but it's re awoken the wrestling fan in me and that's pretty cool.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
It took me right back to when ECW held their first ever PPV, the stakes were high but they pulled it off. The show genuinely excited me, it seems AEW is a company that wants the wrestlers to be themselves and be the best they can, I'm really looking forward to seeing where that takes them.

The Rhodes match an old school story driven classic, the surprise highlight of the night for me.

Production had a couple of kinks to iron out (nothing that would spoil the card) but it was the first show so I have no doubt it'll get slicker.

There was a lot of impressive talent on display and crazy moves, the crowd were also on fire for the whole show. AEW have a very real chance of changing the game, a genuine paradigm shift in my eyes. It's early days but it's re awoken the wrestling fan in me and that's pretty cool.
Sounds good! I caught the whole segment where Jon Moxley debuted. I always like him as Dean Ambrose in WWE, but this new character seems to Ambrose on steroids (bad pun not intended). Very cool. It felt like a megastar making an impact.

Like most tv shows, I have a hard time getting used to new characters, so when I look at the card and don't recognize most, I have a hard time investing in it, but AEW has sparked my interest, especially now that WWE has put the MITB contract on Brock Lesnar. I am so sick and tired of seeing him in the main event picture. He can't wrestle. He has 3 moves. He's boring. And he's never there!

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Sounds good! I caught the whole segment where Jon Moxley debuted. I always like him as Dean Ambrose in WWE, but this new character seems to Ambrose on steroids (bad pun not intended). Very cool. It felt like a megastar making an impact.

Like most tv shows, I have a hard time getting used to new characters, so when I look at the card and don't recognize most, I have a hard time investing in it, but AEW has sparked my interest, especially now that WWE has put the MITB contract on Brock Lesnar. I am so sick and tired of seeing him in the main event picture. He can't wrestle. He has 3 moves. He's boring. And he's never there!
From what I see it looks like Moxley has had the restraints Vince put on him removed and AEW are allowing him to realize what he always wanted his character to be. I never saw him in the WWE so I can only go by what I've heard from others but knowing what he got up to in CZW I'd say he has a fair amount of crazy to let loose!

You're right about him becoming a star in AEW, if the PPV is anything to go by I'd keep an eye on Hangman Page, MJW and possibly Kip Sabian too. It's cool that Omega will get the exposure he deserves in the West now too, he did so well in NJPW.

I think I know who will be the first world champ but I won't say anything if you haven't seen Double Or Nothing yet.

There's a lot of new faces for me too but we'll get used to them soon enough, it's going to be cool to see them develop with the company. I think we're in for a wild ride, I'm looking forward to the TV show later in the year.

alonious_monk

Permanently Tired
Sure we'll see great stuff from Moxley, Dustin said being in AEW is like he's finally got out of prison. I think many ex-WWE guys would shine there and given a new lease of life, as well as already established guys like Christopher Daniels, Kip Sabien et al.