The Pro Wrestling Thread

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I know there are a few wrestling fans here so I was wondering if you are going to watch Double Or Nothing this weekend?

It's been a very long time since I followed a promotion, in fact the original ECW in the 90's was the last one but when I heard about the formation of AEW it got my interest.

I've been watching The Road To Double Or Nothing on You Tube and I'm looking forward to seeing what they have to offer.

It's first time ever bought a pay per view so I must have sparked something in me! It's going to be a bit if a challenge staying up to watch it though since I'll be at work for 12 hours before it starts, hopefully I can make it back home before the pre show starts!

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Lifelong wrestling fan here! I am not really planning on watching it. People are acting like AEW is the next big thing, but I personally don't see the starpower on their roster. I have been following the news updates. It seems like it could be fun, but WWE is still the promotion to watch I guess. It's too bad they keep shoving Brock Lesnar down our throats. I am so over that guy.

My wrestling watching schedule is usually order the WWE Network around the Royal Rumble time. Keep it until at least Wrestlemania. And the see from there. I usually end up cancelling it. If Summerslam seems interesting I may get it for 1 month again. In the Netherlands we can also watch slightly condensed versions of RAW and Smackdown on YouTube. It's geo targeted. I am going to a live show in Amsterdam in November. It will be my 5th time, and my first time not going alone as my wife has finally decided to join me and give it a shot. I did have to book a rather expensive vacation in return, though.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Lifelong wrestling fan here! I am not really planning on watching it. People are acting like AEW is the next big thing, but I personally don't see the starpower on their roster. I have been following the news updates. It seems like it could be fun, but WWE is still the promotion to watch I guess. It's too bad they keep shoving Brock Lesnar down our throats. I am so over that guy.

My wrestling watching schedule is usually order the WWE Network around the Royal Rumble time. Keep it until at least Wrestlemania. And the see from there. I usually end up cancelling it. If Summerslam seems interesting I may get it for 1 month again. In the Netherlands we can also watch slightly condensed versions of RAW and Smackdown on YouTube. It's geo targeted. I am going to a live show in Amsterdam in November. It will be my 5th time, and my first time not going alone as my wife has finally decided to join me and give it a shot. I did have to book a rather expensive vacation in return, though.
I've considered getting the WWE Network a few times but never got around to it. To be honest though I'd have more interest in the old stuff that's on there than what's going on at the moment, or initially at least. I'd probably start watching the up to date stuff eventually.

One thing that bothers me about WWE these days is they don't seem to refer to it as wrestling any more for some reason. Maybe I just haven't heard them say it, I've seen very little of it recently. That seems a bit weird to me.

I saw WWE live in the 90's, the heat from Kane's pyro felt like it was melting my face! It was a fun night.

I'm familiar with a few names on the AEW card, I did track down the NJPW Jericho v Omega match so it'll be cool to see them go at it again. I've seen a few of the others on indy cards here and there but I'm looking forward to seeing what the ones I've never seen before can do.

I've heard AEW will be tracking win-loss records, that's a new one for me when it comes to pro wrestling.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
WWE is trying to make their product seem more real. Storylines are usually more realistic and they want to get on the MMA-hypetrain it seems. They often refer to matches as fights nowadays. I don't mind. There are some great characters like Seth Rollings, AJ Styles, The New Day, Braun Strowman and Bray Wyatt. I'm especially excited to see where the new Bray Wyatt gimmick is going.

Speaking of AJ Styles, I used to watch TNA from 2004 up until Sting left in 2014. TNA was great. I think it's sad to see what it's become now. I've stopped following them.

The first month of WWE Network is free by the way, so you can try and see if you like it. The original programming is pretty cool. The classic shows are awesome to watch. I rewatched the whole rise of the NWO. And of course you get to watch monthly ppv's live or on demand.

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
I was really into it in the mid-80s. I lived on the Mississippi Gulf Coast at the time and we got a lot of Southern area territories come through for shows -- NWA, UWF, sometimes WCCW from Texas -- but I got out of it for a lot of years. Got back into it around 2005 or so and was into until about four years ago and lost interest again. I was very fond of Bray Wyatt, so I'm glad to hear he's still around. So, there's a recently revitalized promotion -- Major League Wrestling -- out of New York and they seem to have a lot of really good talent. I'll be interested to see what they come up with in the future.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I was really into it in the mid-80s. I lived on the Mississippi Gulf Coast at the time and we got a lot of Southern area territories come through for shows -- NWA, UWF, sometimes WCCW from Texas -- but I got out of it for a lot of years. Got back into it around 2005 or so and was into until about four years ago and lost interest again. I was very fond of Bray Wyatt, so I'm glad to hear he's still around. So, there's a recently revitalized promotion -- Major League Wrestling -- out of New York and they seem to have a lot of really good talent. I'll be interested to see what they come up with in the future.
I checked the MLW roster and I am seeing a lot of guys who are also active in Impact Wrestling as well as some in AEW. What's up with that?

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
WWE is trying to make their product seem more real. Storylines are usually more realistic and they want to get on the MMA-hypetrain it seems. They often refer to matches as fights nowadays. I don't mind. There are some great characters like Seth Rollings, AJ Styles, The New Day, Braun Strowman and Bray Wyatt. I'm especially excited to see where the new Bray Wyatt gimmick is going.

Speaking of AJ Styles, I used to watch TNA from 2004 up until Sting left in 2014. TNA was great. I think it's sad to see what it's become now. I've stopped following them.

The first month of WWE Network is free by the way, so you can try and see if you like it. The original programming is pretty cool. The classic shows are awesome to watch. I rewatched the whole rise of the NWO. And of course you get to watch monthly ppv's live or on demand.
I like they are going for a more real vibe, I know kayfabe is long dead but it really did add to the experience. I'm familiar with AJ Styles and Sting, Sting was being pummelled by The Dangerous Alliance in WCW when I first started watching wrestling and I saw some of AJ Styles in TNA when I could get Impact. There was some good matches in TNA, I enjoyed watching Bobby Roode and Austin Aries.

I didn't know the first month of the network was free, I really don't have an excuse not to check it out!

A lot of guys from that era of UWF ended up in WCW during the time I stared watching after Crocket bought the UWF and eventually sold to Ted Turner - Sting, The Fabulous Freebirds, Terry Taylor etc. That's a great era of wrestling, I used to get all sorts of wrestling from tape traders back in the day (before the internet was a thing!) so I saw plenty of UWF, USWA, Mid South.

Most of the stuff I bought was 90's though - ECW, Smoky Mountain Wrestling, IWF Japan, AJPW, NJPW, W*ING, FMW.

I'll check out MLW.

I checked the MLW roster and I am seeing a lot of guys who are also active in Impact Wrestling as well as some in AEW. What's up with that?
They are probably not tied down to one company and work the independents.

Hosenbugler

Effervescent quality
Man, I grew up repeatedly watching late 80s/early 90s WWF on VHS - mostly Survivor Series '87 (still my favourite Survivor Series), Royal Rumble '91, and a show that my parents went to at the London Docklands in '89, when I was about 3 months old I think. That was a large part of my childhood - that, and playing Mega Drive and N64 (not all that different to these days, to be honest :p).

I keep up with wrestling these days via YouTube videos and podcasts mainly. Though I always reactivate my WWE Network subscription just before the Royal Rumble (which has always been my favourite match of the year), and cancel it again as soon as Wrestlemania is done - been doing that since Wrestlemania 32, it works out nicely.

I haven't bought the main Double Or Nothing show (partly because I'm not entirely sure what ITV Box Office even is really), but the 'pre-show' is on ITV4 for free for I've got that set to record. Honestly, that's mainly because of the battle royal - I'm a sucker for a Rumble match. I am very intrigued by AEW in general though, I'll definitely be keeping track of it.

One thing that bothers me about WWE these days is they don't seem to refer to it as wrestling any more for some reason. Maybe I just haven't heard them say it, I've seen very little of it recently. That seems a bit weird to me.
They've been calling it "sports entertainment" instead, for years now. One of many fairly baffling decisions Vince McMahon seems to increasingly be making.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Man, I grew up repeatedly watching late 80s/early 90s WWF on VHS - mostly Survivor Series '87 (still my favourite Survivor Series), Royal Rumble '91, and a show that my parents went to at the London Docklands in '89, when I was about 3 months old I think. That was a large part of my childhood - that, and playing Mega Drive and N64 (not all that different to these days, to be honest :p).

I keep up with wrestling these days via YouTube videos and podcasts mainly. Though I always reactivate my WWE Network subscription just before the Royal Rumble (which has always been my favourite match of the year), and cancel it again as soon as Wrestlemania is done - been doing that since Wrestlemania 32, it works out nicely.

I haven't bought the main Double Or Nothing show (partly because I'm not entirely sure what ITV Box Office even is really), but the 'pre-show' is on ITV4 for free for I've got that set to record. Honestly, that's mainly because of the battle royal - I'm a sucker for a Rumble match. I am very intrigued by AEW in general though, I'll definitely be keeping track of it.

They've been calling it "sports entertainment" instead, for years now. One of many fairly baffling decisions Vince McMahon seems to increasingly be making.
Here you go: https://www.itvboxoffice.com

Go to the link and you'll have three choices on how to watch the card, I downloaded the TV Player app on our X Box One and bought the show for that.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Watching Professional Wrestling is my guilty pleasure (besides Anime and Manga). Like many fans, I've grown sick of WWE and the fucking stupid shit they have done over the last 6 years. Roman Reigns getting pushed as "The Big Dog" and having his image protected so heavily, even when they made him lose a few matches in order to stop fans rioting at shows.

For me, "The Undertaker" and"Hulk Hogan" have always been my favourite wrestlers ever since I was a young kid in the 90's. In more modern times, when I got to know the more current wrestlers, I actually like "Star Dust" without knowing it was Cody Rhodes and since he left, I followed his amazing rise through the Indies , New Japan and ROH (I don't/didn't like ROH). I watched "All In" last year and was blown away, as it was a PPV event like I remembered watching when I was a Tween in the early 90's. I'm really looking forward to "Double or Nothing" and now we know AEW has a big TV deal and has the ability to take it to the WWE over the next 5 years or so.

I know a few of the other AEW talent, such as PAX aka Neville and naturally, Chris Jericho and Kenny Omega. I am hoping that they will turn the clock back and try to uphold Kayfabe like the oldschool wrestlers did. Heck I am happy they are calling it "Professional Wrestling" rather than "Sports Entertainment" like the WWE have been since the mid 00's.

On YouTube, I am subscribed to What Culture Wrestling, Wrestletalk and Cultaholic , as I found trying to watch WWE too painful and made me feel dirty, and not in a good kinky way either! It would be cool if we can ask one of the Admin/Staff if we could get a wrestling section/sub section made on the forums, so we can all nerd out and talk about our obvious shared love for the "Sport".

@Wade Garrett (sorry I can't remember how to spell your RL name dude, now it's not in your sig/avatar text) Nice one in creating this thread dude. I hereby nominate you to be our new mod for the wrestling subsection! :D

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
Watching Professional Wrestling is my guilty pleasure (besides Anime and Manga). Like many fans, I've grown sick of WWE and the fucking stupid shit they have done over the last 6 years. Roman Reigns getting pushed as "The Big Dog" and having his image protected so heavily, even when they made him lose a few matches in order to stop fans rioting at shows.

For me, "The Undertaker" and"Hulk Hogan" have always been my favourite wrestlers ever since I was a young kid in the 90's. In more modern times, when I got to know the more current wrestlers, I actually like "Star Dust" without knowing it was Cody Rhodes and since he left, I followed his amazing rise through the Indies , New Japan and ROH (I don't/didn't like ROH). I watched "All In" last year and was blown away, as it was a PPV event like I remembered watching when I was a Tween in the early 90's. I'm really looking forward to "Double or Nothing" and now we know AEW has a big TV deal and has the ability to take it to the WWE over the next 5 years or so.

I know a few of the other AEW talent, such as PAX aka Neville and naturally, Chris Jericho and Kenny Omega. I am hoping that they will turn the clock back and try to uphold Kayfabe like the oldschool wrestlers did. Heck I am happy they are calling it "Professional Wrestling" rather than "Sports Entertainment" like the WWE have been since the mid 00's.

On YouTube, I am subscribed to What Culture Wrestling, Wrestletalk and Cultaholic , as I found trying to watch WWE too painful and made me feel dirty, and not in a good kinky way either! It would be cool if we can ask one of the Admin/Staff if we could get a wrestling section/sub section made on the forums, so we can all nerd out and talk about our obvious shared love for the "Sport".

@Wade Garrett (sorry I can't remember how to spell your RL name dude, now it's not in your sig/avatar text) Nice one in creating this thread dude. I hereby nominate you to be our new mod for the wrestling subsection! :D
Being around for the birth of Hulkamania, Hulk Hogan has been an important pop culture figure in my life, but I found myself much more drawn to Roddy Piper and his death hit me harder than any other celebrity death.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Being around for the birth of Hulkamania, Hulk Hogan has been an important pop culture figure in my life, but I found myself much more drawn to Roddy Piper and his death hit me harder than any other celebrity death.
I enjoyed watching him and didn't really like or hate him as a wrestler. I would cheer for him if he wasn't fighting someone I liked.

Next to Hogan and Taker, I guess I liked Sting and Scott Hall/Razor Raymone (I didn't know what Scarface was at the time naturally). When I was in my late teens during the "Attitude Era" I got to see snippits of WWE/WCW and I did like Stone Cold and really liked Chris Jericho, because of the way he just showed up Goldberge with his comedy. I liked the Hardy Boy's because Jeff was awesome to watch and Lita was the type of Alternative girl I really lust after.

Finally I was always a big fan of William/Steven Regal, even though he was typically a Heel. The American's thinking because he was British, he could Kayfabe being of the Upper Class, even with his thick Lancashire/Blackpool accent lol! Let's face it, Regal possibly is one of the greatest wrestler the UK has produced with ability and talent. Also, while talking about great Heels, I always like Ravishing Rick Rude, as that dude knew how to get supernova heat and in my eyes is one of the best heels the industry has ever had in my lifetime.

For Tag-Team stuff, I liked the Legion of Doom (Road Warriors?) , When Taker and Kane paired up, it was like wrestling wet dream for me, even more than the Mega-Powers (Hogan and Macho Man). I did like the Hart Foundation, but was not the biggest fan Brett the Hitman Hart.

The one wrestler I really didn't like at all was fucking Doink the Clown, as clowns are creepy, but creepy Heel clowns deserve to experience the deepest depth of hell!

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Can't we just turn this thread into the Official Pro Wrestling Thread? Let's go for it! I missed this. I used to run a Wrestling forum from 2005 to 2007 that actually did really well with a few hundred quite active members.

I grew up watching WCW, because that's what we got on tv. We did not have a channel that aired WWF. I knew of it's existence only because a friend of mine had the video games on PS1 or N64, I can't remember which.

The first match I remember seeing was Hulk Hogan vs. Ric Flair on PPV. I loved it, immediately. It was amazing. They were like superhuman to me. I got some of Nitro, but for some reason it wasn't always aired in my region. Channels would magically appear and disappear. I would watch WCW Saturday Night. This show featured the under- and midcard but also some summary's of Nitro. It's through this that I could follow the whole rise of the NWO and after that the rise of Goldberg. I absolutely loved this era. Then Thunder came, and I had another show to watch weekly. I watched WCW up untill the last Nitro when they got sold to WWE. Well, actually, I sat down to watch Thunder that week, and it didn't air. A few weeks later I discovered the sale and got to watch the final Nitro somehow.

My absolute favorite WCW stars were Crow Sting ( I never liked the look of surfer Sting), Goldberg, Kevin Nash (the whole Wolfpack really), I loved the cruiserweights like Rey Mysterio, Juventud Guerrera, Psychosis, Billy Kidman. I always thought Raven and Vampiro were cool characters.

From 2004 I discovered TNA Wrestling's Impact airing on Fox Sports and there were some familiar faces from WCW there so I watched that up until 2013-14. TNA had so many amazing shows and in my eyes really had the potential to be a quality alternative for WWE until they had the idea that they should compete head to head with them. the whole second half of the 2000's was awesome and the Aces and Eights angle was one of the best I've ever seen. It all went downhill from there.

I've watched WWE since 2005, when I moved to the Netherlands and was able to watch Raw and Smackdown on tv, or by download. I don't watch every week anymore, although I do watch some of the YouTube content and every now and then a whole episode. The only thing I try to keep up is going to the live shows every year. I've only missed one of them.

Felix

Addicted to Grunge
Aces of Eight was Bully Ray Dudley right?

Also TNA gave us Broken Matt Hardy and the final deletion mini film?

As a kid, my best friend and I would hire out the WWF PPV's from this local VHS store on a Saturday afternoon. He was Chinese and his mum would make us a massive pile of these huge mince pork fried/grilled dumplings. Some of the very few good memories I have during my school years.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Aces of Eight was Bully Ray Dudley right?

Also TNA gave us Broken Matt Hardy and the final deletion mini film?
It was Bully Ray fighting them for a long time until a cage match againt Jeff Hardy for the title. Devon who already revealed as a member of A&8's threw Bully a hammer which he used to knock out Hardy and win the title revealing himself to be the leader of A&8's all along. It was amazing. It was like the whole NWO storyline with Hogan being the secret 3rd member all over again.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Can't we just turn this thread into the Official Pro Wrestling Thread? Let's go for it! I missed this. I used to run a Wrestling forum from 2005 to 2007 that actually did really well with a few hundred quite active members.
Done. This is kinda cool, I never had anyone to talk to about pro wrestling back in the day, most of my friends had the usual "you know it's fake right" attitude.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Done. This is kinda cool, I never had anyone to talk to about pro wrestling back in the day, most of my friends had the usual "you know it's fake right" attitude.
Woohoo! I can talk about wrestling again!

People in my environment always feel the need to be hurtful when it comes to Pro Wrestling. They completely bash it in stead of respecting the fact that I like it and they don't have to. I don't force anybody to watch it.