*The* Pedalboard Thread

mirage2101

absolutely a ton of PSUs' out there nowadays. Any recommendation on a PSU that would fit with a PedalTrain Classic 2? One that has outputs capable of supporting 300mA strymon units.
Actually not planning on using strymons on this board for certain reasons. Will instead be using a Duncan Darksun to cover multiple jobs which I believe is 150mA, but I would like it to still be compatible with the strymons. Also planning on using a GigRig QMX6 which will need the higher current.
There was a thread on this recently.
http://www.robchapman.tv/forum/threads/educate-me-on-power-supplies.39441/

There's some great stuff out there, I think Dan has a gigrig branded powersupply too? Pricey but I'm sure it'll be awesome.

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
OK, I need help.

I currently have a Pedaltrain Metro 24. It's full and there's at least 1 more pedal and a MXR Tap Tempo incoming. I had ordered a T-Rex Tonetrunk 56 to solve this problem, but I didn't like it when I received it. It's going back. The size is good, though. It's 56cm's wide and has space for two rows of pedals. I ordered it because it was only €59 at Thomann. Does anybody have any suggestions for cool and sturdy pedalboards in this pricerange? I'm seeing things like the Palmer Pedalbay, which I know are good, but not sure how durable. I saw Harley Benton sells the exact same board for €10 less. That makes me sort of doubt the durability for some reason. I do really dislike the power mounting thing with elastic bands though.

Another option would be something like the Fame Spaceboard Pro, which is basically the Gator G-Tour pedalboard for a fraction of the price. It's just a plank in a flightcase. I have worked with bags for years and it's fine, but for some reason, I feel myself wanting a case. I know that's a stretch with the budget, but still, I'm curious to hear your experiences on what's out there.

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
@Tankman

i had a gator board - this one, admittedly massive

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0018SJGPI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it was very robust, but once it had pedals on it, it was like carting round a 4x12 cab. any dense wood board is going to be unreasonably heavy

i quite like the look of the harley benton spaceship 60xl. its a little bigger and more expensive, but it would give you more space. and Thomann will take it back if you don't like it when it arrives

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
@Tankman

i had a gator board - this one, admittedly massive

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0018SJGPI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it was very robust, but once it had pedals on it, it was like carting round a 4x12 cab. any dense wood board is going to be unreasonably heavy

i quite like the look of the harley benton spaceship 60xl. its a little bigger and more expensive, but it would give you more space. and Thomann will take it back if you don't like it when it arrives
That's what's holding me back from the Gator Clone by Fame. Without pedals it's already almost 10kg's. That's a bit much.

The Harley Benton Spaceship seems to be exactly the same as the Palmer Pedalbay. I wouldn't go for the XL, though. I don't need the extra row. I just have 2 rows of normal sized pedals.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
latest board update

View attachment 37984

off

Echo Puss. its awesome, but...

on

Foxgear Echo Sex Baby - to replace the Puss took an awful lot of pedal, and this is it

added

Proanalog Manticore - amazing drive pedal. could not bring myself to sacrifice any of the ones on there, so a bit of fiddling and daisy chaining and its threr

i am in smugmode V3.0
I almost pulled the trigger on the Echosex Baby, but I was afraid it would be too similar to my Carbon Copy. I went for a Flashback 2 in stead. What's your thoughts on the Echosex Baby and Foxgear in general?

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
@Tankman

you can see - mine is a bit of a overboard mess. but i dio use all the pedals. promise :)

this is all powered of a single MXR Iso Brick, with a 9V output left going spare

the board is a pedal train 3 - 2nd hand, lightweight metal, easy to carry and the PSU fits easily underneath

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
@Tankman

the echosex baby is astonishing. its similar to the carbon copy, but more extreme when you push it. the aging and modulations on the delays are brilliant. and because its trying to ape a Binson echorec rather than ana or tape echo, its different enough to work nicely.

the DM2-W handles my "normal" echo, the Foxgear does the crazy stuff

their other pedals seem good - mainly copies of other designs (like everyone else, including the boutique brands) and definitely a good step up from the Mooer, Tone City, etc. also tried their compressor and flanger - i am incredibly impressed

and that is not to sh1t on the Mooers and TCs of the world. the only thing i don't like about their pedals is form factor. mini pedals are great, but they are very top heavy on a board, so easy to rip off with over enthusiastic stamping

other thing - get yourself 3M dual lock if you don't have it.

this is my living room small board - i use the CC on this as it covers a lot of ground very capably.

you can see in front on the right hand side where i dropped my iron. #rocknroll ;)

IMG_20200102_125615252.jpg

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
@Tankman

the echosex baby is astonishing. its similar to the carbon copy, but more extreme when you push it. the aging and modulations on the delays are brilliant. and because its trying to ape a Binson echorec rather than ana or tape echo, its different enough to work nicely.

the DM2-W handles my "normal" echo, the Foxgear does the crazy stuff

their other pedals seem good - mainly copies of other designs (like everyone else, including the boutique brands) and definitely a good step up from the Mooer, Tone City, etc. also tried their compressor and flanger - i am incredibly impressed

and that is not to sh1t on the Mooers and TCs of the world. the only thing i don't like about their pedals is form factor. mini pedals are great, but they are very top heavy on a board, so easy to rip off with over enthusiastic stamping

other thing - get yourself 3M dual lock if you don't have it.

this is my living room small board - i use the CC on this as it covers a lot of ground very capably.

you can see in front on the right hand side where i dropped my iron. #rocknroll ;)

View attachment 37985
Sounds cool! And it also sounds like I made the right choice going for the Flashback. I think I would have loved the Echosex, but it would be too similar. Now I have epic, shimmery delays en crystal clean digital repeats.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
@Tankman

i had a flashback mini - liked it a lot, but i prefer the darker sounds from analogue
I generally prefer the darker tones which is why I am keeping both the Carbon Copy and the Flashback on my board. I just noticed the Carbon Copy is too dark for certain songs. The 2290 setting really works well for those. And I also think the Crystal setting will be a welcome addition.

Brandon Adams

You've got red on you.
I think I have the pedal board more or less planned out to how it will be now. a few things to aquire to build it and it should be all good. Not sure how I feel on the Flashback being the choice of Delay in front of the amp, and also am not sure if I would want to replace it with a Fuzz or not. But that is a question for when it is build.
EDIT Picture removed.

This is the new main board. Will rebuild my current to be the at home off board to function as the second amplifier. That will have the timeline, mobius, and bigsky on it. So I can go full wet/dry, stereo crazy at home. along with things like a tumnus, octavio, DS-2, Ditto etc etc. Figure that out when we get there

I REALLY wanted to get the EVH channel switcher on this board. But it's just too damn big...

EDIT new picture with the wiring rough drawn and some notes made about how I can improve based on drawing signal paths. I swear it makes sense in my own head.
Pedal planning.png

Attachments

Last edited:

DrHankWanfordSnr

That's not new, its always been there.
Do you get some interesting things happening using the synth and Freqout together?
yes, you do.
I'd say that the freqout, sy-1* (with Exp pedal), hog, and whammy all go together as a 'fun sound maker' set of pedals. Overtones, pitch shifting, envelope, harmony, arpeggiator and synth sounds (then off into the Helix for delay and echo). Its a set of toys you'd never tire of playing with.

*if the new Sy-1000 had had pcm sample synth - I'd have sold the Sy-1 and Gr55 on the spot to buy one)

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I pulled the trigger, mostly based on the price. I had a small store credit at Thomann and they dropped the price over the weekend as well, so I got a good deal on a Pedaltrain Classic Junior with Softcase. I decided at that size a hardcase is not a must. Also, the price difference was so huge now, that it didn't make sense to me spending all the extra cash on a hardcase. I will look into that again once we start gigging frequently.

beans & rice

I'm thinking of splitting things into 2 or 3 smaller complimentary combos that I can more easily use with my setup. Or, just get one small board that can fit 3 or 4 pedals and swap them out for each thing I'm doing, and store the pedals loose. Sometimes I get lazy and default to the effects settings in my recording apps because I don't want to drag out the board just to use 1 of the pedals, and I don't want to go through the hassle to disconnect a pedal.

This thought coming after I've strongly considered adding a Blurst and a Freqout to the mix at some point. :bounce: