*The* Pedalboard Thread

DrHankWanfordSnr

That's not new, its always been there.
Incremental changes. The Pinnacle is a great pedal - instant 80s rawk. Cleans up quite well. I have a V1 version in the post () - whichever one I like the most....stays, t'other goes on ebay (but for a while there'll be alot of drive pedals on the board.
[update - v1 vs v2.....fight] drive - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
So. Trying to make the underside of pedalboard neater/more organised....... its still a rats nest :( View attachment 37229
In other news - both Pinnacles are staying (the V2 replicates the V1 perfectly, and has a really good boost (modelled on a TS ? The V1 is just too cool to sell on.)
How's that power supply working out for you? I've got 2 under my board and I'm finding there's a fair bit of a weird hum.

DrHankWanfordSnr

How's that power supply working out for you? I've got 2 under my board and I'm finding there's a fair bit of a weird hum.
Its ok so far. I use it to power the-non digital pedals* as it has a shared ground** - but I've used it to power everything on the board (including the 300Ma Whammy, and 500mA GR-55 all at once and its been fine. As it was so cheap to buy (£20) I look at it as being disposable.

* When I had 'everything' connected to it there was hum. The whammy (fine running on 100mA), GR-55 (definitely need 500mA) and Hog (100Ma but needs a centre positive cable) are all bastards which put alot of noise to ground -the Hog putting noise to the ground and +9v line too for extra fun & hum. So they all get powered by wall warts hidden away in the rack - via really long DC cables.

** I have a DC to DC isolator ordered to maybe solve this - as i like the idea of having one power supply to the board. Plan is to run the isolator from the 18v DC output and use it for the 'problem children'. The Caline has enough oomph to do this - just need to combat the noise.

Try pulling each pedal out of the chain to see who the problem child is. If you have 2x.... I wonder if you're getting some kind of interaction between the 2x wall warts powering them as you'll have the ground being shared between them - like a ground loop -

Last edited:

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Its ok so far. I use it to power the-non digital pedals* as it has a shared ground** - but I've used it to power everything on the board (including the 300Ma Whammy, and 500mA GR-55 all at once and its been fine. As it was so cheap to buy (£20) I look at it as being disposable.

* When I had 'everything' connected to it there was hum. The whammy (fine running on 100mA), GR-55 (definitely need 500mA) and Hog (100Ma but needs a centre positive cable) are all bastards which put alot of noise to ground -the Hog putting noise to the ground and +9v line too for extra fun & hum. So they all get powered by wall warts hidden away in the rack - via really long DC cables.

** I have a DC to DC isolator ordered to maybe solve this - as i like the idea of having one power supply to the board. Plan is to run the isolator from the 18v DC output and use it for the 'problem children'. The Caline has enough oomph to do this - just need to combat the noise.

Try pulling each pedal out of the chain to see who the problem child is. If you have 2x.... I wonder if you're getting some kind of interaction between the 2x wall warts powering them as you'll have the ground being shared between them - like a ground loop -
Interesting, I never considered an interaction between the wall warts. I'll add "sort out pedalboard" to my ever growing "need to do" list. Thanks dude.

I use the friedman powergrid 10 for standard 9v 300ma pedals, and then I have a cioks dc7 for the funny voltage/high-power pedals - and I have them both connected to a Y split kettle lead - so the entire board runs off one mains socket.

Both PSUs are fully isolated and I don't get any noise from the pedals caused by power.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I use the friedman powergrid 10 for standard 9v 300ma pedals, and then I have a cioks dc7 for the funny voltage/high-power pedals - and I have them both connected to a Y split kettle lead - so the entire board runs off one mains socket.

Both PSUs are fully isolated and I don't get any noise from the pedals caused by power.
I've heard good thing about the Cioks units.

DrHankWanfordSnr

The Caline 5 that Wade and I use has a common ground from the DC outputs to the DC input.
As the pedals all share a ground via the patch cables - this is fine. However with two of these power supplies -that ground is shared between both wall warts powering the the units. So a noisy pedal/bad connection shares its noise with everything - all of the other pedals, and both wall warts. Or if the ground of one of the wall warts (the DC side - not the AC side) is at a different voltage relative to the other wall wart - this could make hum - a ground loop.

Your power supplies are completely isolated - greatly reducing the chance of hum.

The Cioks units get good reviews - as do the Friedmans !.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
The latest incarnation. My amps are a Vox AC15 with pushing the internal speaker and a Peavey 112-6 set to a crunch, a JTM45 mkII pushing and open back Avatar 212 cab and a Fender Bandmaster closed back 212 set very clean.

Chain is Guitar ->Friedman Wah ->SUF Demogorgon ->JHS Morning Glory -> Radial ABY

From there output A goes to a Laney BCC Tony Iommi Boost into the Top Boost of the Vox AC15.

Output B goes Radial ABY ->RedRox ->Tate FX Booster ->Wraith Reverb ->MXR Micro Chorus ->Digitech DL-8 Delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
The latest incarnation. My amps are a Vox AC15 with pushing the internal speaker and a Peavey 112-6 set to a crunch, a JTM45 mkII pushing and open back Avatar 212 cab and a Fender Bandmaster closed back 212 set very clean.

Chain is Guitar ->Friedman Wah ->SUF Demogorgon ->JHS Morning Glory -> Radial ABY

From there output A goes to a Laney BCC Tony Iommi Boost into the Top Boost of the Vox AC15.

Output B goes Radial ABY ->RedRox ->Tate FX Booster ->Wraith Reverb ->MXR Micro Chorus ->Digitech DL-8 Delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Epic setup dude.