The Official RCF members YouTube video uploads thread!

AdiHughes

Sessions, Lessons & Shred
All about the fretting hand in this lesson. Starting to get used to talking to a camera, basically by imagining a student sat there ha! Still feels weird being a one way conversation mind.

AdiHughes

Not the most exciting, but probably one of the most useful techniques I teach. As an insight; in lessons I'd usually swipe scale diagrams away from students as part of this exercise, both for my own sadistic enjoyment of seeing the fear on their faces that they don't have the cheat sheet to hand, but also to prove that they really don't need it. I've heard people saying they spend up-to an hour working on scales, but life is too short so save some effort, 3-5 minutes is plenty!

AdiHughes

Some modal theory for anyone brave enough! I've used Dorian in the example, but this applies to all the diatonic (church) modes too. TLRD: What Dorian is, the intervals, compared to Natural Minor Scale (Aeolian), utilising Minor Pentatonic (because everyone knows it) with additional Maj6th interval to develop initial Dorian phrasing...

ed lespaul

Some modal theory for anyone brave enough! I've used Dorian in the example, but this applies to all the diatonic (church) modes too. TLRD: What Dorian is, the intervals, compared to Natural Minor Scale (Aeolian), utilizing Minor Pentatonic (because everyone knows it) with additional Maj6th interval to develop initial Dorian phrasing...

I'm sorry, but I always wonder why people teach modes like they are separate entities from the Major scale. They are all based on their major scale. When teaching modes, the first thing I tell them is if you know the major scale, you are already playing all the notes in that mode. The only thing that changes is where the first note in the mode starts.

I did a quick overview of this a few years ago, with the title "Modes - don't make it overly difficult on yourself", located here: http://www.robchapman.tv/forum/threads/modes-dont-make-it-overly-difficult-on-yourself.38106/

AdiHughes

Hey @ed lespaul , that's ok, I only really referenced to it in the lesson, but you're right. What you describe in your post is known as "derivative" or "relative" modal theory. You describe it well, and it warrants its own (longer!) YouTube lesson.

If I was working with a student, I would have covered the derivative approach first. This video is a few lessons on, and rather than looking at where modes come from, it's about exploring the individual mode in greater detail, and you can only do that by understanding it's individual qualities, in this instance utilising "parallel" modal theory, where everything is referenced in relationship to the key centre (A in the example). It's not a case of choosing sides (eg CAGED Vs 3NPS - a ridiculous argument for another day!), it's about expanding knowledge to focus on individual modal qualities.

Hope that helps explain the approach - I'm certainly not one of these snobby guys who says the derivative approach is wrong, this is more about developing beyond that foundation.

AdiHughes

Had a crack at some modding. I'm going to upgrade the components at a later date so had free range to experiment without being overly concerned about messing up. Need some more practise, but happy for now!