The Helix Strand

AngusWolfe

Likes red things.
Split > Dynamic, Line 6 original. This new Split block type lets you dynamically route signals to Path B, depending on how hard you play. For example, you could roll your guitar's volume back a bit and play clean chords through a Grammatico on Path A and then roll it back up and dig in to blend in a searing Revv Gen Purple lead on Path B
  • Knob 1 (Threshold)—Signals below the Threshold are routed to Path A; signals above the Threshold are routed to Path B
  • Knob 2 (Attack)—Determines how fast the signal routes to Path B once reaching the Threshold
  • Knob 3 (Decay)—Determines how fast the signal returns to Path A once falling below the Threshold
  • Knob 4 (Reverse)—Swaps dynamic path routing. When set to "On", signals below the Threshold are routed to Path B and signals above the Threshold are routed to Path A
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Part me think OMG OMG OMG I miss my HX Effects....another part of me thinks...I'm glad I sold it so I don't have to update and program everything again. :p

DrHankWanfordSnr

That's not new, its always been there.
Part me think OMG OMG OMG I miss my HX Effects....another part of me thinks...I'm glad I sold it so I don't have to update and program everything again. :p
Program everything again..... Line 6 don't change anything that already exists - so your existing presets stay as they are. (there was that one time they changed the existing reverbs and everyone flipped out). Its a good system as although I'd like stuff to get updated..... people rely on the FX blocks to stay as they are as they're a working tool.

The Grammatico and Revv amp models are particularly good.
The Jumpered Grammatico has a really nice edge to it.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Program everything again..... Line 6 don't change anything that already exists - so your existing presets stay as they are. (there was that one time they changed the existing reverbs and everyone flipped out). Its a good system as although I'd like stuff to get updated..... people rely on the FX blocks to stay as they are as they're a working tool.

The Grammatico and Revv amp models are particularly good.
The Jumpered Grammatico has a really nice edge to it.
Nah, I'm good. I hated making presets on the unit, which led to the band not being to play songs sometimes when I did not have the right effects programmed. Or they would have to wait for me to make a preset. At home, I couldn't be bothered connecting everything, unpacking everything so I could run the HX Edit software to make that easier. Then I make them at home, the levels didn't match with band etc etc.

Long story short, I'm lazy. I don't want the hassle. I've got a small board with some pedals that I can turn on and off when I want, and turn knobs when I want.

But to be clear, I did love the sounds I got out of the HX. It was very good. If I were to go back to using such a unit, I would definitely think of the Helix family first.

AngusWolfe

Likes red things.
I wonder about this one - its a pretty cool tool with alot of potential.

Multiple dynamic splits so as you're playing gets more 'heated' you keep changing FX path.....

also - I'm pretty sure the boot time has gone down alot.
Does it work with the smaller splits or is it only from the top chain to the bottom? I was assuming the latter, but if it does the smaller splits as well, that could get very interesting. I haven't updated it yet so I haven't played about with it.

Update Edit: I have downloaded the update. The Revv is very nice, although I'm still waiting for a Diezel to be put in there for my metal dreams. I could probably tweak one of the many metal amps in there to be pretty close, but I don't know how much patience I have for that. Maybe I'll google someone else's attempt and copy that.

The problem I'm having with the dynamic split is, I assume, the LT's processing power. as soon as I've put two amps+cabs on one path, even split, I can have one of the less powerful delays, and that's about it. I haven't even tried but I guess it's going to hate me trying to use an impulse response. I can do two heads in to one cab, but even then if I try to have reverb and delay I'm limited to the mono effects and even some of the legacy ones are blocked out. By the looks of it I may be able to do what I originally thought I could, where the input has a gate, so I can have separate chains on route 1 and 2 and they change dynamically, but that may have even been a pre-update feature I never noticed. There are still a load of uses for it, but my dreams of having riffage and ambience controlled dynamically are currently taking a bit of a hit... I will not give up yet though!

Not getting on with either of the two OD's, but if you've been looking for those sounds they might be up your alley. The Pebble is lush though, really enjoying that.

Last edited:

DrHankWanfordSnr

Does it work with the smaller splits or is it only from the top chain to the bottom? I was assuming the latter, but if it does the smaller splits as well, that could get very interesting. I haven't updated it yet so I haven't played about with it.

Update Edit: I have downloaded the update. The Revv is very nice, although I'm still waiting for a Diezel to be put in there for my metal dreams. I could probably tweak one of the many metal amps in there to be pretty close, but I don't know how much patience I have for that. Maybe I'll google someone else's attempt and copy that.

The problem I'm having with the dynamic split is, I assume, the LT's processing power. as soon as I've put two amps+cabs on one path, even split, I can have one of the less powerful delays, and that's about it. I haven't even tried but I guess it's going to hate me trying to use an impulse response. I can do two heads in to one cab, but even then if I try to have reverb and delay I'm limited to the mono effects and even some of the legacy ones are blocked out. By the looks of it I may be able to do what I originally thought I could, where the input has a gate, so I can have separate chains on route 1 and 2 and they change dynamically, but that may have even been a pre-update feature I never noticed. There are still a load of uses for it, but my dreams of having riffage and ambience controlled dynamically are currently taking a bit of a hit... I will not give up yet though!

Not getting on with either of the two OD's, but if you've been looking for those sounds they might be up your alley. The Pebble is lush though, really enjoying that.
The dynamic split looks just like the normal split - when you click on the split point you get 4x choices for itys behaviour now, Y, A/B, Split crossover, and Split Dynamic. The control are threshold, attack and decay - I suppose its going to trigger like and act like a compresser - but routing signal instead of applying a transformation.
I think it has a lot of potential. [update, you'll only be having 2 at a time - you can only split each processor path once.]

If you're running out of DSP - I understand ! The newer models are all a bit processor intensive - i try to put everything post amp on the lower path 2 - to keep it uncluttered and avoid the "wtf I can't have a carvin legacy, a grammatico, and a reverb !!!" (you can, but not much else as i found last night)

mirage2101

The biggest thing keeping me from buying one again is how noisy it was with my other pedals. If I knew for sure that was solved...

DrHankWanfordSnr

Eric K. was chit chatting aboot 3.0 on Facebook.

Looks like there'll be some of peeps who downgraded to a PodGo griping about missing out on the mythical new feature.... but it sounds like theres still a chunk of waiting to be done.

118275971_792488508221899_4231282867522409100_n.jpg