The Helix Strand

Into the 8 ohm Matrix NL212, it puts out about 90W - I had my concerns, honestly. I shouldn't have worried...it's simply astonishing - headroom for days. I thought I'd do a volume test, and I chickened out at the point where we could no longer hear the drummer yet it still had headroom to go, and it sounded great.

On top of that, the active EQ is something truly special. Imagine being able to turn the bass control all the way up (with the others at noon), and all it does is give you more bass and no mud.

And yes, it handles low-end and low tunings as well as any amp I've ever owned. I was mainly using the Friedman drive channel and the SLO clean.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I just want to say again how lovely it is to be able to program any effect I can think of on the fly during a jamsession with the band. I love HX Effects. I do still have the urge to check Reverb for some of the more out there effects. If I can get a good deal, they are nice to have for recording purposes. It's the only reason why I keep the pedals I still have around.

Into the 8 ohm Matrix NL212, it puts out about 90W - I had my concerns, honestly. I shouldn't have worried...it's simply astonishing - headroom for days. I thought I'd do a volume test, and I chickened out at the point where we could no longer hear the drummer yet it still had headroom to go, and it sounded great.

On top of that, the active EQ is something truly special. Imagine being able to turn the bass control all the way up (with the others at noon), and all it does is give you more bass and no mud.

And yes, it handles low-end and low tunings as well as any amp I've ever owned. I was mainly using the Friedman drive channel and the SLO clean.
Thank you :)

I’ll get one in the next couple of months to try. If I like it as much as I think I will then all my pedals and amps will finally go (they’ve been gathering dust for months).

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Anybody got some tips for some awesome John Frusciante sounds in the HX Effects? I know DS-1 and Micro Amp are important for the sounds. The DS-1 one was included in an update. I think I have it. I need to check if did that update. Otherwise, I have a DS-1 pedal. I don't think there is a Micro Amp Model, but I can solve this with some of the more transparent drive models.

Any other ideas?

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Anybody got some tips for some awesome John Frusciante sounds in the HX Effects? I know DS-1 and Micro Amp are important for the sounds. The DS-1 one was included in an update. I think I have it. I need to check if did that update. Otherwise, I have a DS-1 pedal. I don't think there is a Micro Amp Model, but I can solve this with some of the more transparent drive models.

Any other ideas?
Remind me what amp you’re running the HX Effects into again @Tankman?
:)

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Remind me what amp you’re running the HX Effects into again @Tankman?
My own amp is a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III upgraded with a Celestion Neo Creamback speaker. I also switched out V1 for a 12AT7 to make the volume a bit more controllable. So I usually have a loud and clean base for my pedals. I also tend to use the built in reverb, but just a little for some room.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
That’s an awesome amp!
I’d suggest using the Minatour (Klon) to get you a nice warm edge-of-break-up sound as your base JF tone.
After that this diagram is definitely going to get you into the RCHP ballpark...
2A73D4CD-4D72-451C-9B82-7E4E9BA1A84F.png
A DS2 is the DS-1 Modern on the HX Effects
The Ibanez WH10 wah is the Weeper with the frequency parameters set to 370k (low) and 2.1k (high). I set it at the beginning of the chain at about 60-65% mix.
The others are fairly easy to spot on the HX Effects - but don’t hesitate to ask if you get stuck!

If you want to get a bit more specific for particular RCHP songs there are a few Line6 Firehawk etc YT vids that’ll help you with effect selection
Dani California (FX start at 3.30)

Scar Tissue (FX at 2.13)

Hope that helps and have fun with it Bill!

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
That’s an awesome amp!
I’d suggest using the Minatour (Klon) to get you a nice warm edge-of-break-up sound as your base JF tone.
After that this diagram is definitely going to get you into the RCHP ballpark...
View attachment 36327
A DS2 is the DS-1 Modern on the HX Effects
The Ibanez WH10 wah is the Weeper with the frequency parameters set to 370k (low) and 2.1k (high). I set it at the beginning of the chain at about 60-65% mix.
The others are fairly easy to spot on the HX Effects - but don’t hesitate to ask if you get stuck!

If you want to get a bit more specific for particular RCHP songs there are a few Line6 Firehawk etc YT vids that’ll help you with effect selection
Dani California (FX start at 3.30)

Scar Tissue (FX at 2.13)

Hope that helps and have fun with it Bill!
Have I ever told you how amazing you are? Thank you so much! This should be fun!

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
What I think I''m going to do is just build 1 preset with the Frusciante essentials in it and play around with it. Maybe try it out in a song or 2 with the band. I've used humbuckers for the whole existense of our band. I did for a short while use the neck single coil on my tele, and that was kind of cool. Very curious to hear how our songs sound on a SSS strat with some Frusciante tones.

mirage2101

I removed my hx effects from my chain today. And my god my amp came alive!

The pod500 had that too, it needed about +4db on the output to compensate. I'm not sure why they're building it like that.
If you use helix stuff with a real amp, just try the difference between plugging in directly and through the box. You might be surprised.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I removed my hx effects from my chain today. And my god my amp came alive!

The pod500 had that too, it needed about +4db on the output to compensate. I'm not sure why they're building it like that.
If you use helix stuff with a real amp, just try the difference between plugging in directly and through the box. You might be surprised.
True, but when set up right, it's no issue. I still think it sounds great. I had the same with any analog pedal. I think it sounds best without pedals, but I'm an idiot when writing songs and keep relying on delays en modulation. Can't live without them. :D

My ultimate dream is just to plug straight into a Rockerverb 50 halfstack and have no effects, but that's not going to work in my current band.

ChrisACT

Anyone know when the next firmware update is coming out? All I can find is "Spring 2019".

It's supposed to contain some REVV amp channels and the King of Tone overdrive among a whole range of other really cool stuff like being able to control your computer as if your footswitches were qwerty keys. That means you can assign a footswitch to control any app on your computer.

Can't wait!!

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I have to do an acoustic gig next month and I'm thinking of making 1 patch for this with some delays and reverbs and maybe something extra if I feel it fits.

Does anybody have any tips on making acoustic patches in HX Effects? Is it possible to split my signal into 1 wet and 1 dry an go out the 2 outputs like that? Why you ask? Because I can...and because I saw Devin Townsend live last week doing that and I want that too!