The Helix Strand

Tankman

I spoke to a guy who is using the EV-30 with his HX Effects and he says it works, so I pulled the trigger, got a 20% discount and bought one. Fingers crossed.

mirage2101

I spoke to a guy who is using the EV-30 with his HX Effects and he says it works, so I pulled the trigger, got a 20% discount and bought one. Fingers crossed.
You're going all in :)

I've been working on reproducing the drone Rob had in that recent andertons video. The drone is pretty doable. I'm struggling a bit to have it continue on while being able to play clean through B track.

Tankman

You're going all in :)

I've been working on reproducing the drone Rob had in that recent andertons video. The drone is pretty doable. I'm struggling a bit to have it continue on while being able to play clean through B track.
Well, yeah! It's all or nothing, right?

Could you link to that video? I'm curious to hear it.

Tankman

The EV-30 works like a charm. You just need to do a few things:

• Set the minipot on the back of the output you're using to max
  • use a TS cable, even though the EV-30 manual states you need to use TRS.
  • Set the polarity on the HX-effects to reverse
Awesomeness in a box. Bam!

Tankman

Why is the Helix Thread dead. The Helix is still very much alive! I am still loving my HX Effects and still have no desire to buy any other effects anymore. I played my HX with the band last week. What a dream. Editing effects on the fly. Bassplayer asked to use an octofuzz, bam! octofuzz programmed. So easy. No need to scour Reverb to find a good deal.

Why is the Helix Thread dead. The Helix is still very much alive! I am still loving my HX Effects and still have no desire to buy any other effects anymore. I played my HX with the band last week. What a dream. Editing effects on the fly. Bassplayer asked to use an octofuzz, bam! octofuzz programmed. So easy. No need to scour Reverb to find a good deal.
It's not dead, it's just that there's not a lot going on here in general. The Helix thread on <the other forum> is ripping along quite nicely with 222 pages and counting :)

For what it's worth, I've just spend six months building up a couple of amp-based rigs, only to sell the lot again because it's all a lot of hassle and weight for what I can more easily achieve with the Helix and a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170. Done this way, my entire rig is a guitar case, a rucksack (Novation 25, with the Helix and the Powerstage in it) and my Matrix 2x12" cab.

The whole rig - including the guitar and cables - weighs around 22kg, and (to me, at least) sounds indistinguishable from an amp full of hot glass bottles.

Tankman

I wouldn't mind an ampless setup going over inears, but then the whole band needs to do it and honestly, I don't feel like overhauling my rig again. I'm happy now. Guitar into Mini Crybaby, Tuner and HX Effects. The HX has a Wampler Catapulp in the loop for my main drive sound. I added a Boss EV-30 for expression. This is all going into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III with a Celestion Neo Creamback for weightreduction and sound improvement. If I can't use my own amp, I just use whatever is available, as long as it's clean.

Paul Wickham

Oh no you didn't!
Not dead just sleeping, and now you've gone and woken it up. :p
Just ordered a HeadRush FRFR-108 to go out jamming with the Helix. Not expecting too much from it, but I am fed up with dragging out my Marshal Jubilee, it is I swear made out of black holes it's that heavy.

I wouldn't mind an ampless setup going over inears, but then the whole band needs to do it and honestly, I don't feel like overhauling my rig again. I'm happy now. Guitar into Mini Crybaby, Tuner and HX Effects. The HX has a Wampler Catapulp in the loop for my main drive sound. I added a Boss EV-30 for expression. This is all going into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III with a Celestion Neo Creamback for weightreduction and sound improvement. If I can't use my own amp, I just use whatever is available, as long as it's clean.
I tried both FRFR and ampless, and if I'm honest...even though the Helix sounds great and it's a brilliant way to record stuff, I don't think it works as well as the oomph you get from a real cab at band volume.

I sold my Helix and now have the AxeFx 3. I’ve also sold my 5153 and only have my Dmoll left.

The helix is a great platform. Really enjoyed mine with OH IRs.

Keen to know more about the powerstage 170. I assume it’s more than loud enough through a 212 at lower tunings?

If so, I’ll get one and flog my last amp