The Helix Strand

Remy

Middle Aged Newb
There's a reason polaroid is still a thing. Just sayin.
I got snapshots figured out and setup a trio for what will probably be one of my main rigs. Clean with a nice touch of delay and reverb. Lightly boosted, little less delay to keep it from getting muddy. Distortion added to the boost, even less delay. EQ adjustments along the way... All three sound good and consistent as a set. My longer cables to connect to the studio monitors arrive today so I'll try to balance my sound between cab emulation and straight into the Bugera. Right now I EQ'd for the Bugera with cab emulation bypassed. My thinking is that I'll just clone the existing snapshots then tweak the EQ with cab em on and going through the monitors. Rename them with "Bug" and "Stud" hehe.

Tankman

I got the electro harmonix one for 57 euro. I haven't used it long enough to form an opinion though.
If I'm not mistaken that one is the same size as a Crybaby which means it's too long for my pedalboard. I don't want it sticking over the edge, otherwise my bag won't close. The maximum lenght can be the size of the Line 6 expression pedal. I just prefer not to use plastic.

I think the best option is the Dunlop DVP4, but it's f'n €150. It's not something I will use a lot, but I do want to use it. Anybody have any experience with the grey Boss pedals?

Baggy

If I'm not mistaken that one is the same size as a Crybaby which means it's too long for my pedalboard. I don't want it sticking over the edge, otherwise my bag won't close. The maximum lenght can be the size of the Line 6 expression pedal. I just prefer not to use plastic.

I think the best option is the Dunlop DVP4, but it's f'n €150. It's not something I will use a lot, but I do want to use it. Anybody have any experience with the grey Boss pedals?
Line 6 ex1 £56 same size as an Roland rv 5 so will fit the metro

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sustainerplayer

On the edge of breakup
I just asked my colleague for advice and she specifically told me NOT to buy that very same Moog pedal. :p
My buddy Rasmus uses the EP3 with his Ax8 with great succes. He is playing a shitload of gigs and it holds up without problems. I have tried it a couple of times and can't see why it shouldn't fit the bill.

Chu

I modded my Dunlop Crybaby with a £10 audio potentiometer so it now works perfectly with my Kemper. And it's built like a fricking tank.

Of course, you've stated that a Crybaby would be too long so maybe you could find a used, smaller wah on Ebay and mod it. The only thing to bear in mind is that most wahs have a shorter throw than expression pedals. That's sometimes the reason why people struggle to use expression pedals as wahs but in reverse, the shorter travel makes using them for volume etc a bit more sensitive. I've no issue with it though!

Tankman

I modded my Dunlop Crybaby with a £10 audio potentiometer so it now works perfectly with my Kemper. And it's built like a fricking tank.

Of course, you've stated that a Crybaby would be too long so maybe you could find a used, smaller wah on Ebay and mod it. The only thing to bear in mind is that most wahs have a shorter throw than expression pedals. That's sometimes the reason why people struggle to use expression pedals as wahs but in reverse, the shorter travel makes using them for volume etc a bit more sensitive. I've no issue with it though!
I've thought about that, seeing as I have a regular crybaby collecting dust, but the size is an issue. Any experiences with the Boss expression pedals?

Tankman

FWIW, I saw a Line 6 employee posting his own personal pedalboard with an HX Effects and he is using the Boss EV-30. That one is steel and the right size. I might just try that.

Remy

Middle Aged Newb
If you haven't done it yet, dual track with two amps, two cabs and mixed mics. I watched a demo of it yesterday and tried it out last night. I use that system on Bias and it's just as nice this way. I am not talking about doing a stereo setup, though you could do that too. In my case I'm not doing stereo because half the time my output is mono anyway.

My only real suggestion is that once you get a base setup in place save it as a template rather than actually using that one. Copy it to another slot and setup the final version for each rig there. Oh, two suggestions. Do it on a computer rather than on the unit, much easier.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Thought I’d keep things simple
And go with a preset of just a TS8 (Scream 808) into a Fender Deluxe Reverb (Deluxe Norm) and an analogue delay (Simple Delay)
Plus Rogue
And some feisty blues.
Game on.
(The playing starts at around 1.28 if you want to skip the babbling)
Also worth noting it’s a NPJD but tbh I don’t feel qualified to comment on the potential impact that has on the tone...
;)
:)

Remy

Middle Aged Newb
I got distracted watching for the glasses to actually fall off. :dance:
Seriously though, sounds great. I need to set up something similar, maybe tonight, but I wanna get in some straight practice time in too. I felt like hell over the weekend and didn't do much.
The PJ's add a bit of a relaxed vibe and soak up some of the very highest highs due to the extra fuzziness in the room. :cool:

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
I got distracted watching for the glasses to actually fall off. :dance:
Seriously though, sounds great. I need to set up something similar, maybe tonight, but I wanna get in some straight practice time in too. I felt like hell over the weekend and didn't do much.
The PJ's add a bit of a relaxed vibe and soak up some of the very highest highs due to the extra fuzziness in the room. :cool:
Haha!
Yeah, is it any surprise that I have to ditch my glasses when I’m playing with my band?:facepalm:
Personally, I think it’s the tone vortex caused by the Helix SUCKING THEM OFF MY FACE.
Yep.
*finger guns*
Hope you’re feeling better @Remy
And PJs should be everybody’s go to home-from-work choice of comfiness...
:)

Tankman

By the way, I thoroughly tested the HX Effects last Sunday, unfortunately not with my Hot Rod, but with a smaller practice amp. Even on that small amp it sounded amazing! There are so many inspiring effects in that tiny box. It's going to bring our songs to a whole new level. I've started programming some presets on the pedal and with HX Edit. Both work great. I'm doing a preset per song with 4 snapshots each.