The Helix Strand

sidthekidlives

hi guys , so what do you all think of this video below ? Personally from what I've heard of the helix through the limited medium of youtube I think it looks very promising..... What you reckon dudes ?

MrDon

Owner of a heap of shit dentist guitars
I don't know...Im sceptical of it - Line 6 have promised a lot before and never really delivered. Its always been "meh" to me. (I use a PODHD500 quite a bit so Im not biased on this opinion)

Id like to hear one and compare to Axe FX and Kemper

sidthekidlives

I think Line 6 have very fairly gained a reputation for over-marketing their stuff of recent years which doesn't quite deliver so some scepticism is definetely warranted I agree. Conversely I think that they don't get the attention they deserve when they make an excellent product like the DT.

Beard

Was researching this yesterday but the YouTube reviews haven't really highlighted anything other than the amp modelling yet. At 1 grand the majority of the purchase price seems to have been sunk into the unit being used as a main controller.

From a signal processing standpoint it doesn't appear to offer anything better than the reverb/chorus/delay you could get from a cheapo unit. My feeling is that someone would be better off with a valve amp + effects unit for the same price (or less) than buying the Helix.

Steve91

Wannabe Superheroine.
I like it, but I still can't really see what it offers over cheaper stuff like the HD500 other than a shiny screen.

sidthekidlives

It's still modelling though, not the same as a real amp. I listened to the soundclips and idk man, it's not giving me the wow factor.
I suppose your definition of what modelling is there and whether it's good or bad depends on the environment and application of a sound or tone. As always subjectivity is there when listening to tones and music. I do find lee and chappers' reactions interesting on this video as I do value their opinions and find them to be generally pretty honest in their response on gear.

MrDon

It's still modelling though, not the same as a real amp. I listened to the soundclips and idk man, it's not giving me the wow factor.
This is debatable...axe fx/kemper modelling has got to the stage now where it sounds and feels like a real amp.

Beard

I've been wanting a pro effects unit for ages now, the modelling is better than the unit I have at home and living in flats I run direct into my hi-fi anyway so it would be ideal. But for £1000 it's pretty underwhelming considering what I could get with the money instead.

Would have to hear with own ears tbh.
That's basically how I feel, if I'm going to change my mind then I'd have to hear it live.

MrDon

Id love to try one ... why the hell not. For clarity, I like my HD500 just fine, so maybe I'm just easily impressed.
I like the effects on the HD...I think the amp modelling is average (I actually prefer some of the models from my POD 2.0)