the g.a.s thread.

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
I find this a little disconcerting. The intonation adjustment is pretty maxed out. Probably would make no difference at all, especially with my cloth ears, but it worries me nonetheless.
View attachment 37174
I saw one recently with the A, D, B, and high e all completely forward and the low E and G both completely back, and I was just thinking "... Nah, I don't want to deal with that. I'm good.", cause I had a feeling the neck had been "ill-adjusted".
That one doesn't look too bad, to me, though. That's almost exactly how my buddy's LP was setup, so I can't say it's too out of the ordinary for a TOM, but far from perfect, yeah.

Although, my ESP is a bit more of a... Stairway to Heaven, scenario.

So my TOMs are all over the place.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
I saw one recently with the A, D, B, and high e all completely forward and the low E and G both completely back, and I was just thinking "... Nah, I don't want to deal with that. I'm good.", cause I had a feeling the neck had been "ill-adjusted".
That one doesn't look too bad, to me, though. That's almost exactly how my buddy's LP was setup, so I can't say it's too out of the ordinary for a TOM, but far from perfect, yeah.

Although, my ESP is a bit more of a... Stairway to Heaven, scenario.

So my TOMs are all over the place.
My 4 are all over, with one close to maxed out on the E.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find this a little disconcerting. The intonation adjustment is pretty maxed out. Probably would make no difference at all, especially with my cloth ears, but it worries me nonetheless.
View attachment 37174
The amount of guitarists I’ve encountered who don’t know how to adjust intonation is staggering. I bought my LTD Viper from one, because it was bad in his view. Just needed a setup and pot switch...! :p

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
1565251081224.png
I guess those fixed combined bridges PRS do are probably how the bridge on a properly built guitar should look. I just don't see it very often on adjustable bridges. I just don't trust lack of adjustment.

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
Like the compensates saddles on a Tele bridge. You can get the intonation close enough but rarely perfect in IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
Intonation is something I've struggled with at times, mostly with down tuned guitars.
With downtuned guitars, especially with thinner strings, you tend to compress the string more than you normally would, throwing off the note, even when the guitar has perfect intonation, because the strings are floppier and easier to push down below the fret. Thicker strings make it happen less often, but if you're gonna downtune and want perfect intonation, you need the right set of strings for your guitar, and tighter technique, and it just gets super finicky, sometimes. Some guitars also just don't like it, heh.

Intonation is something I've struggled with at times, mostly with down tuned guitars.
I am not now, and not likely to ever be, a 'musician' or 'guitarist' ..... and still trying to learn that bloody fourth chord.

My inherent heavy-handedness now that jumbo frets are involved has been playing havoc with any 'intonation' of what is (to me at least) an expensive and otherwise bloody lovely instrument. I am, slowly, getting a little more delicate.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I am not now, and not likely to ever be, a 'musician' or 'guitarist' ..... and still trying to learn that bloody fourth chord.

My inherent heavy-handedness now that jumbo frets are involved has been playing havoc with any 'intonation' of what is (to me at least) an expensive and otherwise bloody lovely instrument. I am, slowly, getting a little more delicate.
There's a fourth chord? :D

I played in a band with a guy that pressed really hard on the strings. A certain chorus always sounded out of tune but neither of us were out of tune and the intonation was spot on, I couldn't understand it. When we recorded the song we were having the same problem so I tried playing his part over mine with his guitar and it sounded fine. That's when I realized he was strangling his guitar!

He's one of the best guitarists I've ever played with (shred master!) but those chords always got him!

beans & rice

Still have GAS for an Ibanez AZ. Just sold an EMG HetSet and my Jim Root Terror. Things are moving. Now I have to wait for the two models I like to arrive at the end of the month.

The great thing about selling the Jim Root Terror, which I honestly didn't want to sell is that I sold it to my Bass player who is also our studio guy. I only use this amp in the studio. So now I will end up using it just as much, it's just not mine anymore.

There's a fourth chord? :D

I played in a band with a guy that pressed really hard on the strings. A certain chorus always sounded out of tune but neither of us were out of tune and the intonation was spot on, I couldn't understand it. When we recorded the song we were having the same problem so I tried playing his part over mine with his guitar and it sounded fine. That's when I realized he was strangling his guitar!

He's one of the best guitarists I've ever played with (shred master!) but those chords always got him!
It’s those small things of imperfection that make music or a group of fellas or fellatets click or not click.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
View attachment 37186
I guess those fixed combined bridges PRS do are probably how the bridge on a properly built guitar should look. I just don't see it very often on adjustable bridges. I just don't trust lack of adjustment.
Actually My PRS SE has the same kind of bridge. You can adjust intonation at the posts. By intonating the low and high E that way the other strings actually are intonated as well because of the construction of the bridge. Honestly, it works really well and it's a lot more comfortable to play that those TOM-style saddles.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
It's my understanding the fret positions on the neck are mathematically calculated as a fraction of the scale length. The twelfth fret is exactly half the scale length so as to half the wave length and double the frequency. This gives the octave note. The mathematics are calculated on a theoretical 'perfect vibrating string' moving along it's whole free length between the nut and the bridge. In the real world the stings actually curve away from from the fixed points and this affects the real vibrating length of the sting. Thicker stings and lower tensions have more of a curve and so need more compensation. The simple mathematics is flawed and strings are imperfect. The whole design is a compromise based on what is easy to make and easy to play. The actual movement of the string will also change dependent on how hard it is hit, it's age, temperature and humidity. The further you stray from what the manufacture designed the more the compromise breaks down. The better your ears, the less happy you will be with the compromise. Fan frets, stepped frets and other weirdness are an attempt to attain perfection.

Perfection is an atomic clock tuned tone generator in a atmosphere controlled clean room and nobody wants that.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
Actually My PRS SE has the same kind of bridge. You can adjust intonation at the posts. By intonating the low and high E that way the other strings actually are intonated as well because of the construction of the bridge. Honestly, it works really well and it's a lot more comfortable to play that those TOM-style saddles.
I played a guitar with a roller bridge that had curved edges and was much more comfortable. I don't know why TOM bridges need sharp edges.