The Dorje / Toska / Clockwork Wolf & Co Thread

ChrisACT

I generally agree with this. Angst inspries a lot of great music. However, I also think it kind of depends upon what kind of music you're making. Prog can lend itself toward less of that angsty rock attitude. Floyd was making a lot of great music well into their comfortable years. Dream Theater, too.
I hear what you're saying but I'm old. I'm sick and tired of hearing teenage angst songs. It's just so easy to end up sounding like a cliche if you go there these days. It's been done to death. I want some party songs. Just because it's hard rock or prog, doesn't mean it has to be dark. Heavy music can be excited about the future too. Van Halen were masters of it. AC/DC too. Nearly all their songs were about getting pissed and/or laid. What happened to happy songs like that?

drittal

Nerd on the Prairie
I hear what you're saying but I'm old. I'm sick and tired of hearing teenage angst songs. It's just so easy to end up sounding like a cliche if you go there these days. It's been done to death. I want some party songs. Just because it's hard rock or prog, doesn't mean it has to be dark. Heavy music can be excited about the future too. Van Halen were masters of it. AC/DC too. Nearly all their songs were about getting pissed and/or laid. What happened to happy songs like that?
Even then, you have to live that life or it won’t show as genuine through the music. Those guys partied HARD! Motley Crue is another. Sex, drugs and rock n roll! Could you ever imaging Dorje making something like “Girls, Girls, Girls” ? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tankman

Apart from the sound, I think that they suffer from a lack of a strong visual identity. Dorje just looks like four guys jamming together without a group identity. They don't really make any effort with costumes, make-up or anything else to create a group brand - they seem to just roll up in whatever they throw on that morning. They also look very disparate - Dave and his dreads has a totally different look to Ben who is too....bland, I suppose. Rabea looks too nice, and Rob is ok but he's a bit advanced in years for a kick-ass, relatively young group (I mean the age of the group rather than the people in it).
I don't agree about the visuals. Look at Incubus. Each member has a very different personality and style and they were whatever each member likes on stage. It works for them.

Also look at Limp Bizkit. 4 HipHop skater looking guys and one crazy guy in a Halloween costume. Also works fine.

I personally really don't like planning what to where on stage as a band. I've had heated discussions about this with my old bands in the past. They wanted everyone to where a nice shirt. I hate nice shirts and I think they are quite uncomfortable to play and move in. We were a thrash metal band. So 3 guys put on nice shirts, one guy put on a polo and I put on whatever the F I wanted. It worked fine.

Secondary would be these guys are all comfortable. Great music is usually made by hungry and/or tormented artists. Consumers can tell when your bullshitting your lyrics. It’s about the connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Again I don't agree. I think a comfortable musician can make great music. You just have to mean what you say. Put your emotions into it, be it negative or positive. And if you do want angsty songs, everybody has been through something. Write about that. It's not that difficult, really.

We were a thrash metal band. So 3 guys put on nice shirts, one guy put on a polo and I put on whatever the F I wanted. It worked fine.
Forgive me for being blunt, but is your band a multinational recording artists selling out stadiums? My contention is that it worked fine for the audience that you wanted, but I'm guessing that your singles aren't hitting the top 10. If I'm wrong then I apologise, but otherwise I stand by my original remarks! :)

Tankman

Forgive me for being blunt, but is your band a multinational recording artists selling out stadiums? My contention is that it worked fine for the audience that you wanted, but I'm guessing that your singles aren't hitting the top 10. If I'm wrong then I apologise, but otherwise I stand by my original remarks! :)
Please re-read my post. I gave examples like Incubus and Limp Bizkit who are multination recording artists.

AngusWolfe

Likes red things.
Again I don't agree. I think a comfortable musician can make great music. You just have to mean what you say. Put your emotions into it, be it negative or positive. And if you do want angsty songs, everybody has been through something. Write about that. It's not that difficult, really.
Yeah, Financial security doesn't mean people are comfortable. Chris Cornell probably had money.

Not to mention, the likes of Eric Clapton and The Rolling Stones were hardly urchins on the street.

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
Yeah, Financial security doesn't mean people are comfortable. Chris Cornell probably had money.

Not to mention, the likes of Eric Clapton and The Rolling Stones were hardly urchins on the street.
Yeah, but Clapton and the Stones stopped making good music a very long time ago.

ADK

Number of lost picks (2019 Season) = 1
Dorje has so much potential, I love it. Just wish they'd stop treating it as a side project EP, EP, EP - do a f album already!
CW Wolf - Not for me.
Grinding Gears is fab.

Some of the old stuff is really cool, Holy Fire, Breathe, etc. Black Hand Gang was okayish.

Chu

I think it's very dependent on the style of music you play. Metallica doesn't dress up. GWAR does.
Exactly. In fact, of the bands that I am fond of, I reckon that only Queen put that much effort into 'costumes'. The DTP have sometimes worn themed shirts when putting on a special show but otherwise it's dress for stage. I much prefer it that way.