The Chronicles of Me

peachy901

Priest in the Church of Fender
I'm always lacking behind on updating this, but I finally feel like I have something big enough to report on.

So after an insane year of musical work (I think over the summer I did 87 gigs in 90 days at the peak) I've bizarrely arrived at a conclusion that I never thought I'd get to: I want to get out of music performance.

I arrived at this through a few trains of thought. The first was just basically being away all summer, and playing a lot. It's exhausting, and not to sound like a smug arse-hole, but you really don't know just how exhausting it is until you do it. I always thought 'Yeah, it must be tiring, but surly no more than a three hour work out at the gym, right?'... oh, it's worse. Just complete physical and mental exhaustion, constantly getting home at 6am and a sporadic sleeping and eating patterns. It's not even so much about being fun - playing to a great crowd is always going to be fun, it just felt like I was knocking years off of my life. It suddenly occurred to me that even in the best case scenario I could hope for, say playing for Nile Rodgers, this would still be what my life is like. Sure, better pay, fancy hotels... but still just as much time away and physical drainage, and that's not how I want to live my life. The guy I replaced in the band I currently play with is now the side man for a big-ish pop star. He's never in town, and constantly away.
I understand that some of you may read that and think it sounds like the life, but read on to the next paragraph where I might just crush your dreams.

There's a great documentary on Netflix about the Wrecking Crew. These are the guys I idolize and have always wanted to be - just amazing session musicians. In the documentary, one very subtle theme all of the musicians bring up is relationships. They all say something along the lines of 'I'm a better grandfather than I was a father' or 'If I had to change one thing it would be that I would have spent more time with my kids'. It sounds so stupidly obvious, but being a musician is very lonely. Your work hours are totally opposite of 99% of people which makes it hard, and in some cases impossible, to maintain relationships. This is going to sound a little tragic, but since coming to NYC I haven't made a big circle of friends because of focusing efforts on work, and ever since I really became a musician the circle has gotten even smaller. Simply due to the fact I just can't see some people. I didn't see my brother-in-law and his wife and child for 7 months, and they live a 30 minute walk away, simply because of my schedule. Much like what I said about the exhaustion: you just do realize how much of an impact it has until you're in that situation. I suddenly realized that all of my remaining friends are musicians, and I'm lucky enough that the guys I play with have become close friends... but other than that all bets are off.
Over the summer I got pretty depressed from not seeing my wife, and we live together! We would only see each other sleeping: I could come home at 6am - she would be asleep. She would wake up at 7:30am and I would be asleep... and then repeat. It just sucked.

The last thing was one night I ended up going to a gig and met up with a lot of the Broadway players who I know. There were a good handful of them there and we all got to hang out and drink. It was fine and all, but there was one guy there who I know, and he know's me. He plays on a very successful show, and when I actually got to hang out with him I just thought he was a total arse hat. I just don't like him - plain and simple. I just could not shake the feeling that I just have to chum up to him and try to impress him because he's super connected, and dishes out some good gigs. This might just be me being stubborn, but I HATE sucking up to people. I just can't, out of respect for myself - I hate it. I'd rather go alone and figure it out than give into to someone I don't like for no reason. Unfortunately I can't go and start my own Broadway show, and those are the guys with the gigs... so if they don't like you, you're out.

So what's my plan now? I'm staying with music, and I'm sure I'll still perform, but I'm just not shooting to play with a big act for the rest of my life. I want to get back into composition. My degree is in composition, I've done a good handful of jingle work and I've always enjoyed it. I can pick my own hours, work from home and (potentially) earn a lot more money. I don't know how I ever got off of this track... I think I might have just been so focused on getting on a Broadway show, or having a full time gig I just lost sight. Anyway, I called a bunch of music houses earlier this week and had some promising phone calls - also on a side note: there are a LOT of music houses in the US, so the chances of getting work is much greater, and someone is always going to need some music written for something so I don't see what harm it can do.

So that's my new angle from now on. I've gotten a real taste of being a professional musician: constant up-hill struggle for gigs, long hard unsocial hours and no guarantees. There are a lot of good things too, but I just want a little more stability in what I'm doing, as well as being able to stay home.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I'm always lacking behind on updating this, but I finally feel like I have something big enough to report on.

So after an insane year of musical work (I think over the summer I did 87 gigs in 90 days at the peak) I've bizarrely arrived at a conclusion that I never thought I'd get to: I want to get out of music performance.

I arrived at this through a few trains of thought. The first was just basically being away all summer, and playing a lot. It's exhausting, and not to sound like a smug arse-hole, but you really don't know just how exhausting it is until you do it. I always thought 'Yeah, it must be tiring, but surly no more than a three hour work out at the gym, right?'... oh, it's worse. Just complete physical and mental exhaustion, constantly getting home at 6am and a sporadic sleeping and eating patterns. It's not even so much about being fun - playing to a great crowd is always going to be fun, it just felt like I was knocking years off of my life. It suddenly occurred to me that even in the best case scenario I could hope for, say playing for Nile Rodgers, this would still be what my life is like. Sure, better pay, fancy hotels... but still just as much time away and physical drainage, and that's not how I want to live my life. The guy I replaced in the band I currently play with is now the side man for a big-ish pop star. He's never in town, and constantly away.
I understand that some of you may read that and think it sounds like the life, but read on to the next paragraph where I might just crush your dreams.

There's a great documentary on Netflix about the Wrecking Crew. These are the guys I idolize and have always wanted to be - just amazing session musicians. In the documentary, one very subtle theme all of the musicians bring up is relationships. They all say something along the lines of 'I'm a better grandfather than I was a father' or 'If I had to change one thing it would be that I would have spent more time with my kids'. It sounds so stupidly obvious, but being a musician is very lonely. Your work hours are totally opposite of 99% of people which makes it hard, and in some cases impossible, to maintain relationships. This is going to sound a little tragic, but since coming to NYC I haven't made a big circle of friends because of focusing efforts on work, and ever since I really became a musician the circle has gotten even smaller. Simply due to the fact I just can't see some people. I didn't see my brother-in-law and his wife and child for 7 months, and they live a 30 minute walk away, simply because of my schedule. Much like what I said about the exhaustion: you just do realize how much of an impact it has until you're in that situation. I suddenly realized that all of my remaining friends are musicians, and I'm lucky enough that the guys I play with have become close friends... but other than that all bets are off.
Over the summer I got pretty depressed from not seeing my wife, and we live together! We would only see each other sleeping: I could come home at 6am - she would be asleep. She would wake up at 7:30am and I would be asleep... and then repeat. It just sucked.

The last thing was one night I ended up going to a gig and met up with a lot of the Broadway players who I know. There were a good handful of them there and we all got to hang out and drink. It was fine and all, but there was one guy there who I know, and he know's me. He plays on a very successful show, and when I actually got to hang out with him I just thought he was a total arse hat. I just don't like him - plain and simple. I just could not shake the feeling that I just have to chum up to him and try to impress him because he's super connected, and dishes out some good gigs. This might just be me being stubborn, but I HATE sucking up to people. I just can't, out of respect for myself - I hate it. I'd rather go alone and figure it out than give into to someone I don't like for no reason. Unfortunately I can't go and start my own Broadway show, and those are the guys with the gigs... so if they don't like you, you're out.

So what's my plan now? I'm staying with music, and I'm sure I'll still perform, but I'm just not shooting to play with a big act for the rest of my life. I want to get back into composition. My degree is in composition, I've done a good handful of jingle work and I've always enjoyed it. I can pick my own hours, work from home and (potentially) earn a lot more money. I don't know how I ever got off of this track... I think I might have just been so focused on getting on a Broadway show, or having a full time gig I just lost sight. Anyway, I called a bunch of music houses earlier this week and had some promising phone calls - also on a side note: there are a LOT of music houses in the US, so the chances of getting work is much greater, and someone is always going to need some music written for something so I don't see what harm it can do.

So that's my new angle from now on. I've gotten a real taste of being a professional musician: constant up-hill struggle for gigs, long hard unsocial hours and no guarantees. There are a lot of good things too, but I just want a little more stability in what I'm doing, as well as being able to stay home.
I went through similar times experiences mate, it can be tough, its never what you expect is it?!

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
I'm staying with music, and I'm sure I'll still perform, but I'm just not shooting to play with a big act for the rest of my life. I want to get back into composition. My degree is in composition
THAT is a good plan. And the part about still performing, but not aspiring to do something "greater", something over-the-top in a Broadway show or something... that'll add a few more years back to your life, man.
Something a former Bluegrass and Country star (who, because he doesn't like people to know where he went, won't be named...) who lives in our area said one time, was that he was a lot better off when he played in the background, played small gigs with friends, and did charity events, then got his money from being a Session musician in Nashville, than when he started touring with a bigger band and got famous, living his dream. He had a kid he never saw, a wife that decided to leave him (and take the kid), and later, grandkids that he rarely got the chance to see... and it was killing him. He had to basically drop everything and VANISH from the music scene (and his public social life) just so he could have some time with his family and friends.
It happens, and it's not fun, and I'm glad you're considering that MAYBE there are better options.
Also, from what I've seen and heard, you're an awesome guy, and I don't wanna hear you telling the same sob stories that this guy tells... cause it's painful.

Much luck to you and please do keep performing, cause you're great. Just don't let some crazy band with dreams of "making it big" drag you out of your happy place, eh? Even if it's your band... and you're the crazy guy dreaming of "making it big."

peachy901

Wow, it's been a while.

I was thinking about how I abandoned y'all, and basically just wanted to post something to you all in the spirit of complete shameless self-promotion... as well as potentially shine some light on what I've been up to.

I haven't really touched my guitars at all since January of this year. As far as I'm concerned, I'm basically done with music (I'll happily post details if people are interested in the nitty-gritty).

Art is now my latest endeavour, and I'm currently trying to go full time as an illustrator. If you're interested in following me down the rabbit hole you can find everything here:

Patreon - for those of you who are interested in really keeping up to date and getting custom content (starting at $1.00 per month)
Etsy - Buy a print/poster!
Twitch - I've already been streaming my drawing/creative process and I find it a lot of fun! Aiming to do it a lot more, so follow along to watch in real time!
YouTube - I condense my streams down to 'speed paintings' so you can watch the process in a few minutes (would seriously appreciate a subscribe, if you're so inclined!)
Video example:
Facebook - Just another place to post my work :)
Twitter/Instagram - @ODeathCreative ... I announce all live streams, and things, via twitter.

... and here are a few of my pieces, for those who are curious:

Thanks guys + girls!

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Wow, it's been a while.

I was thinking about how I abandoned y'all, and basically just wanted to post something to you all in the spirit of complete shameless self-promotion... as well as potentially shine some light on what I've been up to.

I haven't really touched my guitars at all since January of this year. As far as I'm concerned, I'm basically done with music (I'll happily post details if people are interested in the nitty-gritty).

Art is now my latest endeavour, and I'm currently trying to go full time as an illustrator. If you're interested in following me down the rabbit hole you can find everything here:

Patreon - for those of you who are interested in really keeping up to date and getting custom content (starting at $1.00 per month)
Etsy - Buy a print/poster!
Twitch - I've already been streaming my drawing/creative process and I find it a lot of fun! Aiming to do it a lot more, so follow along to watch in real time!
YouTube - I condense my streams down to 'speed paintings' so you can watch the process in a few minutes (would seriously appreciate a subscribe, if you're so inclined!)
Video example:
Facebook - Just another place to post my work :)
Twitter/Instagram - @ODeathCreative ... I announce all live streams, and things, via twitter.

... and here are a few of my pieces, for those who are curious:

Thanks guys + girls!
Hey @peachy901
Good to hear from you bud -
You utterly talented bast*rd you!
Now...
Send me all your guitars as I'm pretty sure they'll be needing a string change by now...
;)
:D

doctorpaul

Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.
Staff member
This stuff is amazing dude (loved the video) but I'm confused ...
It doesn't take MUCH to confuse me though.
Did I dream the bit that you'd found a high-rank job somewhere and were 'Director of SomeShit', wearing a suit to the office and saving for that house on the lake?
My mind plays tricks on me sometimes ...

peachy901

This stuff is amazing dude (loved the video) but I'm confused ...
It doesn't take MUCH to confuse me though.
Did I dream the bit that you'd found a high-rank job somewhere and were 'Director of SomeShit', wearing a suit to the office and saving for that house on the lake?
My mind plays tricks on me sometimes ...
Thank you! And yep: Head of Music & Voice for North America. Still at that job and I hate it.

I even feel quite embarrassed because I was so excited when I got the job, and that it was my golden ticket to better things. The company even did a great job in getting my super excited about it and distracting me with things like a free laptop, VIP ticket to Lollapolooza (spelling?) etc. Long story short: the company is full of shit and lie through their teeth to clients and employees alike. I know this sounds like fairly typical 'oh, that's just a job' type stuff... but I just do not want to be a part of that company. I refuse to just settle and be miserable for a paycheck.

I could go into a lot more detail, but just know that I've been perfectly level heard, open minded and hard working about the job but it's done nothing but expose itself to be somewhere I don't want to be.

So with all of that being said, I've turned back to art/illustration/design. It's been a huge part of my life since day one - my dad is an artist. With the work that I've been doing if feel overjoyed with it. I've never felt that happy doing any music work... not saying that I didn't enjoy it, but I had no idea how much I was predisposed to art.

This is all just 'life' I guess, haha. You never know what forks in the road you'll encounter.