The Car Thread

mirage2101

Awesome!

I did the same with an old Astra a few years back, some things defeated me, but it was quite enjoyable in a way to learn about things, and I always do my own servicing now (oil, oil filter, pollen filter, air filter, and coolant), even found spark plugs to be quite simple! Found the Haynes manual very helpful. Will still see a mechanic for complex jobs, but it's good to have some idea what's going on.
i fixed up a ford galaxy a couple of years ago and the haynes manual was above my head for most things.
YouTube on the other hand is great.
I changed breaks, fixed the fan control and engine, we replace a lot of coolant ducts..

fixing a car is great fun if you don’t need it to get to work

mirage2101

I had a long day of driving! I started out with the Leon and it's a very good car.
It starts out sporty, the car feels luxurious, the steering wheel has weight to it.. In comfort mode the suspension wobbles a bit after bumps, but putting it halfway between comfort and normal solves that.
I put the gas pedal in sport mode to get a bit more response and that was nice.
The mood lighting in the door and dash is fantastic. it flashes orange when a car is in your blind spot, and when the navigation is on it moves the way you need to steer.
If you want a more sporty looking golf look no further. It's young it's fresh and really nice.
It's not cheap as such. It's a bit below the golf, but the problem is that most options aren't expensive. Between the normal "style" and the "FR" package it's only €900. the technology and dynamic packages that you really want are another €2000 combined. So sneakily the price creeps up.

On a whim I stopped by the mercedes dealer. I hadn't driven the A series yet, only the CLA and I figured why not. At the same price..
The mercedes has a better on board system. It has a number of physical knobs that the leon only has as touch screens. But mostly, the materials in the interior are much much nicer. It radiates luxury and class. The same goes for the design. It's not boring like toyota or golf but it is less sporty and more classy then the leon.
Driving wise well you do notice it has less power (at the same price, more power is available). But it does have enough power to do whatever you like in traffic. With the kickdown system it gets more noisy but eh..
Just cruising along it's more comfortable then the leon. It keeps really well in corners.. It's an amazing car.
There is a bit of vibration present that the Leon / golf don't have but that might be down to the tires being pumped up harder. I've noticed that with other cars too.

At the same price, the "entry level" mercedes wins out for me over the top line Leon.
Entry level being between quotes because that's with heated leather chairs, two large 10" screens, augmented reality, a camera that helps you see traffic lights easier etc etc. It's just a 116hp engine instead of the 150 of the leon.

Neilybob100

Popped to my local Toyota showroom today for a quick look.

I asked to see the Camry, in case it looked different in the flesh. They didn't have one and I can see why.

They had a yellow Supra which looked eell tasty but out of my league.

I've come away liking the RAV4 a lot but also the Corolla GS sports. Just need to work out if I can afford the RAV4 or not. We'll see.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

mirage2101

I asked to see the Camry, in case it looked different in the flesh. They didn't have one and I can see why.

I've come away liking the RAV4 a lot but also the Corolla GS sports. Just need to work out if I can afford the RAV4 or not. We'll see.

I've been trying to get my wife to upgrade her car so I can get a toy like this. Maybe a second hand audi TT.. But she's not biting so I need to save up myself for a while :)

But what a car..

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.

Dear god, look at it! Super tasty.

mirage2101

I drove the id3 today..
PLOT TWIST!! It's an amazing car.
Ok it looks like a boring family car. That's true.
But it's fast, comfortable, rear wheel driven, much more relaxing to drive then the tesla 3. AND they can deliver this year so I'll get 8% added tax instead of 12%. Making it cost half of the mercedes..

I'm currently waiting on a quote of the lease company so I can put things in motion at the company.

Magnus Pym

AKA - Two Kettles
The mercedes has a better on board system. It has a number of physical knobs that the leon only has as touch screens.
This really annoys me about many new cars. You need a co-pilot to control anything because every basic operation (radio/heater etc) is too many pushes of touchscreen button away. I was passenger in a rental Citroen C4 a while back and it was a nightmare to change the anything because the satnav (which wasn't very good), the radio, and the heater controls are all the same touchscreen. Changing the radio station meant closing the satnav momentarily. Ridiculous. And don't even get me started on the damn thing playing music from your phone as soon as you sit down - Back into the touchscreen modes to switch it off. Aaaaah!

Chili Hobbes

The Dr Venkman of Hospital Lab Science.

Its too yellow.

mirage2101

Well it took some talking. With covid no new leases are signed so my boss asked me to convince him why he should make an exception for me.
I told him the car is cheaper for me this year because of tax but that honestly he probably shouldn’t make an exception.

he agreed and signed the lease.

so in a couple of weeks I’ll have an id3 in front of the house

DrHankWanfordSnr

That's not new, its always been there.

The Supra is 'the daddy'

DrHankWanfordSnr

Finally.........

Goodbye old friend*.... fast, economical, quiet, comfortable, and....starting to rust.
2020-10-24 13.27.19.jpg
Hello Catmobile.....
1603557862168.jpg
Back to the world of pillarless doors and standard Mercedes head-units that refuse to connect to my phone. But also comfortable, and I imagine also fast.

*though trying to stay by flattening your battery and throwing every fault code you could muster wasn't going to save you.....

Attachments

DrHankWanfordSnr

Everything is black on a black background.........
When you get out of it at night....you have to shield your eyes from the glare !

Plan for the first dry day is to paint the calipers silver, hit any scratches with Meguirs ScratchX, and fit a reversing camera (I have a camera that'll look stock, a fakra connector, and the instructions to enable it..... wish me luck prying all of the trim).

[update. after giving it the 'clean of its life' I've found all of the scratches and dents I missed the last time i saw it (not too bad), and found the locking wheel nut missing. Pants. I've left a message to get it send to me if its found, and watched some very interesting youtube videos on how to remove them.) I have a spare set of these so its not a huge deal but.......... painting the calipers is on hold for a while]

[update update.... the head unit which refuses to see m y phone accepts a 500GB fat32 formatted usb hard drive..... yippee huge musc library in the car !!!11...... I've bought a breaker bar and have a number of spare sockets (and hammer) to help me swap the locking nuts.]

Last edited: