The Car Thread

Steve91

Wannabe Superheroine.
Go on then, what do you drive, any modifications, and anything interesting about cars you can think of.

I drive a VW Polo R Line 1.2. Its only the 3 cyl version, but its cheap to run and looks good with the R kit on it. Currently running a K&N air filter, upgraded break pads, Team Heko wind deflectors and LED numberplate bulbs. Plans are about to lower it when I have the money.

10629668_10202473464105392_6076970243959526625_n.jpg

Go on, I've showed you mine....

DrKarnivore

Browsing your web and SMS history
Staff member
I've got a 2011 Diesel Ford Focus that's been cleaned twice since I paid cash for it a couple of years ago.

For some reason I went off cars, which was weird as I had a phase of having some really nice cars in the early '00's. Including 2 BMWs, a C class Merc and an Audi A3 S3.

Owning cars is a different game when you do 20k+ a year though. They die pretty quickly.....

big bear kris

I had quite a few over the years - seat, fiats, vauxhall, rover, 3 BMWs, Mercedes 300CE - 3litre coupe, which was the closest to my dream car (apart from M3 Beemer I had).
Now I'm 30yo and slowly getting into all the boring stuff when it comes to the cars - economy, fuel costs, emissions etc. Currently I have 2012 vectra and 2003 Civic. Yaaawn ;)
images.jpeg

Billyblunt

Sid the sexist
I just can't seem to get excited about cars anymore which pisses me off somewhat. I've had my Astra for the last 6yrs which is unbelievable for me. Just hate losing money on cars these days, must have lost feckin thousands in the last 20+yrs. I now get excited when I see a VW van lol

Lone Star

Go on then, what do you drive, any modifications, and anything interesting about cars you can think of.

I drive a VW Polo R Line 1.2. Its only the 3 cyl version, but its cheap to run and looks good with the R kit on it. Currently running a K&N air filter, upgraded break pads, Team Heko wind deflectors and LED numberplate bulbs. Plans are about to lower it when I have the money.

View attachment 17103

Go on, I've showed you mine....
Face it... You only wanted to show us your pimped up granny mobile ;)

I'll take a photo of my car later if I can find a clean side worth shooting :D

Nathan25

Luthier at Blackthorn Guitars.
I may have mentioned this a few times before...

image.jpg

1991 BMW E30 318is. The one with the 16v M42 engine. It's got the M-tech suspension, brakes etc. and interior. The wheels are the original BBS cross spokes.

Plans are to restore it as true to the original spec as possible, including the factory M-tech kit (some of the body kit is missing). It's going to need a few new panels and other bits and pieces and then a respray, unfortunately the old girl has seen some abuse in the past.

After that, it's on to the engine. I'd rather keep the 4-cylinder if possible, because it has better weight distribution than the larger 6-cylinders, and we already have a 320i E30 convertible anyway. I'm aiming for 200hp, although 300hp might be possible, but a bit expensive. The idea is to get something reminiscent of the original E30 M3 in terms of performance (it already handles like one). The main area it lacks is the midrange torque, it's a very rev happy engine and gives a lovely kick at the top end, but you need to work the gears to keep it in the power band. Kinda reminds me of my old 2-stroke bikes.

Possible options include a stroker kit, supercharger kit, lightweight flywheel, re-map, and a few other tweaks here and there. Benefits from NA inlet/exhaust upgrades would be fairly minimal as the M42 already came stock with decent manifolds and exhaust. She has that gorgeous raspy cackle on the gear change ;)

I have been looking into something like an E36 or E46 ci to butcher into something wicked when I have the cash, as I want to keep the E30 as classic as possible. I might drop one of those V8s I had my eye on into it ;).

Tucked away in the back of the garage, we also have:

BMW E30 320i automatic, convertible, with the full cream leather interior.
VW Golf MKII GTi 16v, pre-facelift in blue
VW Golf MKII GTi 16v, post-facelift in green

All fantastic classics, which will be restored when I can as well.

And as a day to day runner, we also have an Audi A4 avant, 2.5 V6 TDi.

sted

Darth Sted
Staff member
Current ride......

Not my photo but exactly the same.

Eagerly awaiting the 3rd sept for the new LR discovery sport!

Adji

Not Enough Prog
Just spent £850 on mine replacing the clutch and fixing the gear box :(

VW Golf 09 model.
Don't know much about it, don't really care for cars but now it has the new clutch it drives like a new car.

Lone Star

Here's mine...

image.jpg

2003 Vauhall Vectra 2.0 Dti

Presented in anti theft Green, metallic of course. Goes from A to B quickly, decent size for a family and solid. I couldn't bring myself to spend more than £2000 on a car. I can't afford a new one and tbh I would never want to say I pay ££££ per month in repayments for something that could end up at a mechanics at any point even though it's "newer". As long as it's neat enough to look at and the basics work that'll do me just now. If I could afford it is love a Vauxhall Omega estate but until this thing literally falls apart I'm not sure I'll be selling any time soon. I guess I just don't care enough about cars while I'm doing up a house

House = investment
Car = ££££££££££££££££ pit

My other rides yer ma ;)

El Mazzo

My most recent wheels, SLK 350. This was taken when it arrived at the garage before they plated it up etc. Had it from new and it was great for the first few years. The last few years...well...it was a complete pile of shite on wheels! Total liability! It had so many things go wrong with it.

I finally got rid of it and sold it a few weeks ago! As much as I loved it when it behaved itself.... I would never get one again!! Not really practical for transporting guitar gear either!

SLK1.jpg

sted

Darth Sted
Staff member
My most recent wheels, SLK 350. This was taken when it arrived at the garage before they plated it up etc. Had it from new and it was great for the first few years. The last few years...well...it was a complete pile of shite on wheels! Total liability! It had so many things go wrong with it.

I finally got rid of it and sold it a few weeks ago! As much as I loved it when it behaved itself.... I would never get one again!! Not really practical for transporting guitar gear either!

View attachment 17112
Yeah, Mercs are well dodgy but seem to be improving, the new C Class looks really nice, I'd still be wary of them though, shocking reliability for a prestige brand.