The bedroom machine that does it all, which one would you choose?

First post here, would love to hear your opinions, so I started playing guitar when I was 13 or something but by the time i was 15 I stopped, my setup was a chinese LP knockoff by Starsun running into a Fender Frontman 65R, but for the last year this passion of music has came back. But as a student I find myself unable to play because that fella roars too loud for an apartment.

I'm know looking into relatively cheap solutions that would allow me to play silently...

I was looking at a THR10 or an Amplifi TT, because they both take up little space, right now I'm more leaning towards the TT for one simple reason, I don't have any pedals and can't afford them at the moment, and the TT seems MUCH more versatile.

What's your take on my situation? Which one of these would you choose? Is there an alternative I'm missing?

Also I have a drummer friend, to jam with him when I'm back home I'd need to plug that fella into the Frontman, would that work alright?

Many thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

cat-the-odd

On the other side of your screen
Welcome.

I own a THR10 and I love it. Straightforward controls. No wireless BS. I practice and record e.g. my Forum jams with it. The extended editor capabilities are rarely used as plug-and-play is priority. It also has its own speakers and gets use when I watch a movie on the laptop. The fact that you can run it on batteries is a nice plus when having a session with some other musicians at a BBQ. I even take it with me when taking lessons, so I know how to dial in the sound I need.

The THR likes also a drive pedal in front of it. You'll learn a lot how each amp model reacts differently to gain/volume/pedalgain/pedalvolume and you'll be able to prepare for a "not-at-home" rig.

Someone else shall now hail the Amplifi TT.

That being said you may find yourself wanting to play via the computer entirely. So an Interface (e.g. Focusrite Scarlett) and a software (e.g. Jamup or Bias) will sort you for the same kind of money.

Cheers!

Looks like there are no TT hailers after all hahaha

Nevertheless I just tried a THR10 at a store and fell in love with it, brought it home, but as I'm recording through the USB port it just feels like something is missing, I don't know...

Is it my admitedly shite guitar that seems like it has in-built distortion? It sounds so muffled, is it technique? Because I don't notice it when playing through the amp only after I've recorded it...

Last edited:

cat-the-odd

Ahoi!

Download doesn't work. Convert it to an mp3 and attach it to a message here.

However, my shout would be the balance of gain vs. master and EQ.
The "lead" model should resemble something like a Plexi, Crunch an AC30. I pull up the model volume to 3 o'clock as well as the EQ. Then the gain until I feel it's pushing enough. Then I revisit the EQ to cut/boost as I need it. Even the Modern (Mesa inspired) amp model runs best for me when I get past the 1 o'clock mark for volume and gain around 10:30.

Other than that: New strings and Pickup height adjustment will do their part to the clarity.

Cheers!

Edit: Depending on your recording software you may have made a small mistake I did as well: Feeding the THR modeled track into an amp sim. For example GarageBand offers you to "record guitar" when creating anew track. By default there will be an amp sim enabled and it's not in plain sight. Just opt for microphone type recording.

Last edited:

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
Congrats on your THR. Regarding levels I've found that because the 'master volume' also adjusts the level on the USB interface you sometimes have to record quite loud or put some kind of flat amp sim between the input and the DAW to get a decent input level. You can also 'normalize' the track after recording (a step I forgot to do on the last jam) to get the level up. That said I've found that the sound in the room is captured pretty well on the USB interface.

Edit: As Cat said: download didn't work.

Last edited:
I was a bit tired last night... Thanks for all the tips... It was recorded on flat just so I could hear the guitar without (presumably) any modelling on Adobe Audition, but as I listen to it today it doesn't seem as bad...

I also forgot to check the pickup volume (may have been on max). Seems like a the thickest E string may have ringed a few times by mistake which might have contributed to my feeling of a muffled sound :/

The attached file is mp3 VBR 0 normalized to -1Db on the bridge+neck (in between position of the selector), it doesn't sound the cleanest but I'm 99% sure it is not any problem with the amp. I'll have a few more goes this afternoon.

Again thanks :)

Attachments

Last edited:

cat-the-odd

Oh, you play clean. Nevermind, then. :p

Both pickups in combination will give quite the mellow tones, anyways.
Try the Crunch model and with a portion of amp volume and some EQ boost. The "Clean" is not sparkly.

Yeah I play mostly clean, if not clean then with a little bit of crunch/fuzz to get sort of a Kooks / Cage the Elephant sound. But when I want some more punch I definitely prefer pumping up the master and EQs than feeding it gain.

But if I knew what I know today I wouldn't have picked this guitar, but I was young and she looked sexy as **** hahaha

Next thing I'm gonna do when I come by some money is probably get something along the lines of a Gretsch, like http://www.gretschguitars.com/produ...osewood-fingerboard-white-with-gold-hardware/

Attachments

Those pickups sound awesome and for that price I almost have nothing to lose but...

In all honesty she needs a make-over not just a change of pickups, the volume and tone knobs make a "scratch" sound, all strings past the 7th fret make a buzz as if the string rubbing up against another fret, the b string particularly starts doing that at the 3rd fret, the input jack is iffy, the electronics must be all messed up in there...

I don't feel like investing money into her, I feel like getting her to the point I want, will eventually pay for a new one so why not have both, granted no other guitar I've played quite feels like her, the weight, the resonance, that vibration that you can almost tell 99% sure what chord you're strumming by your stomach.

/rant

Thanks for your help :)

Wuzza

long time lurker
Just an addition from me.

When you listen back to a recording of yourself, you will find what you are hearing is normally not what you heard when you played it. Quite often when I'm playing something it will sound perfect, but when I listen back I can hear loads of mistakes and often "sounds" worse.

I guess part of that is learning and when it starts to sound better, you know you're improving. Also, compare some live recordings with the album versions, there is usually quite a difference.

Keep on rocking dude :)

I guess it's the same as singing, when you hear yourself back on tape it's not quite the same, I guess that factor is also the same when playing guitar, I tend to think of things very rationally and I guess when I'm playing I'm partially hearing what I want to hear because that's what the brain's expecting my playing to sound like. Good point!

I will man, there's not a single day (lately) I don't pick up my guitar to practice a tune or two at the very least :D

Wuzza

long time lurker
Apologies for linking this again, but when I was playing it, it sounded pretty much bang on. Listening back there are so any mistakes it's not even funny.
But if you'd had a few ales in a club, would you really notice? (I do, cos I'm my own worst critic, but I've got o a stage where I'm ok with people hearing me playing less than great, cos you know, if you can string a few chords together, it's more than 99% of the population can do ;))

cat-the-odd

Those pickups sound awesome and for that price I almost have nothing to lose but...

In all honesty she needs a make-over not just a change of pickups, the volume and tone knobs make a "scratch" sound, all strings past the 7th fret make a buzz as if the string rubbing up against another fret, the b string particularly starts doing that at the 3rd fret, the input jack is iffy, the electronics must be all messed up in there...

I don't feel like investing money into her, I feel like getting her to the point I want, will eventually pay for a new one so why not have both, granted no other guitar I've played quite feels like her, the weight, the resonance, that vibration that you can almost tell 99% sure what chord you're strumming by your stomach.

/rant

Thanks for your help :)
That is hopeless - sorry. We have to shoot it.
Just send the guitar to me and I'll properly dispose of it.

:p

More seriously, though: Go to the Youtube and learn how to set up your instrument. Your easy-to-adjust things are: Trussrod, Intonation, Action. They can get you quite far.

Cheers!

Stevethulhu

The Riffgrinder General
Apologies for linking this again, but when I was playing it, it sounded pretty much bang on. Listening back there are so any mistakes it's not even funny.
But if you'd had a few ales in a club, would you really notice? (I do, cos I'm my own worst critic, but I've got o a stage where I'm ok with people hearing me playing less than great, cos you know, if you can string a few chords together, it's more than 99% of the population can do ;))
That's actually pretty damn awesome.