Tele pickup comparison video - Alexander Pribora Blues Classic vs MiM Telecaster Standard stock

Naigewron

I swapped out the stock pickups in my Mexican Standard Telecaster a couple of days ago. Just before leaving to do the swap I recorded some very quick licks using all different pickup combinations and a few different gain levels. Then I recorded them again using the same pickup combos and gain settings to make the comparison as close as possible.

Disclaimer: This is just me sloppily playing the same 15 second simple lick over and over (before having some fun with an old favourite riff at the end), not a playing showcase. I figured it might be useful as a reference video for others who are out to upgrade their Teles.

In short: I really, really like these pickups. They're nice and glassy compared to the darker stock pickups, and really work well for anything from clean to at least medium gain. There are probably a lot of pickups out there that could sound even better, but I'm going to wager that they'll all cost at least twice as much, probably much more. These run for US$69 on eBay, brand new and shipped to your door. Can't beat that.

Video:

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
Firstly I wish all comparison videos were like this, actual like-for-like sounds.Secondly I don't expect to hear much difference but wow there really is and the new pickups do have a nicer, glassier, steelier sort of sound.

Naigewron

Firstly I wish all comparison videos were like this, actual like-for-like sounds.Secondly I don't expect to hear much difference but wow there really is and the new pickups do have a nicer, glassier, steelier sort of sound.
Thanks. Yeah, there aren't too many direct comparison videos out there so I figured I'd make one.

There really is a massive difference. The stock pickups are so much darker and duller. I love the Priboras; that glassy quality is just immense. The neck pickup with a bit of drive is just really sweet. Wide open, but also really dirty and crunchy, very different from a strat neck pickup (which I also love)