Stu's Pedal Building Adventures...

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Sorry guys I've been away for a while! We had a baby and its been a busy time for me :)

Thanks to everyone that entered the Reverb.com competition !

I'll be updating with more build info soon in the mean time heres an awesome demo of the Fuzz !

Congratulations dude!

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Sorry guys I've been away for a while! We had a baby and its been a busy time for me :)

Thanks to everyone that entered the Reverb.com competition !

I'll be updating with more build info soon in the mean time heres an awesome demo of the Fuzz !

Congratulations on becoming a Dad again @Stu_T!
I hope everyone’s healthy and happy (if possibly a bit sleep deprived):)
Btw a FB friend of mine, Chris, just received his TateFX Antares and is BLOOMIN DELIGHTED with it.
Also kudos, you officially give the best free stuff with your pedals...
D668EFFC-43AA-4DD4-B57F-605A28CC7000.jpeg
Awesome stuff bud!
:clap:

Stu_T

Congratulations on becoming a Dad again @Stu_T!
I hope everyone’s healthy and happy (if possibly a bit sleep deprived):)
Btw a FB friend of mine, Chris, just received his TateFX Antares and is BLOOMIN DELIGHTED with it.
Also kudos, you officially give the best free stuff with your pedals...
View attachment 36453
Awesome stuff bud!
:clap:
Ahh yes! Chris is a good lad he has a Raise the Dead fuzz as well that he seems very happy with :)

Stu_T

So I've been away for a while I'd thought I'd add a bit more actual content to the thread!

Something that's very important for a pedal with low background noise is power filtering.

We will start with a 9V EHX adaptor, this is the 9V signal from the adaptor. The long spikes are high frequency noise which we do not want in the pedal. Have you ever plugged a pedal in that's instantly noisy? That's probably why!

In order for a nice low background noise pedal we need to remove these high frequency ripples from the supply line.

This is the very simple circuit I use in pedals. I also use protection against the wrong power supply but that's for a different post!

R1 47r resistor is in series from 9V feed, this with the 2 capacitors in parrel to ground acts as a a low pass filter which attenuates high frequency impulse noise.

There's a further discussion about the use and placement of decoupling capacitors around parts with a higher current draw like IC's etc but again that's another post.

This is the power signal after the filtering, you can see most if not all of the high frequency impulses have been removed. Giving a much lower noise floor in the pedal.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
So I've been away for a while I'd thought I'd add a bit more actual content to the thread!

Something that's very important for a pedal with low background noise is power filtering.

We will start with a 9V EHX adaptor, this is the 9V signal from the adaptor. The long spikes are high frequency noise which we do not want in the pedal. Have you ever plugged a pedal in that's instantly noisy? That's probably why!
I was thinking about this. Would it be worth making a power cleaner block to filter noise and possibly prevent voltage spikes for those of us who don't have a nice clean power supply? Just a 9v-in on one side and 9v(clean)-out on the other. Would the cost be worth it or would it be cheaper to buy a quality power supply?

mirage2101

I was thinking about this. Would it be worth making a power cleaner block to filter noise and possibly prevent voltage spikes for those of us who don't have a nice clean power supply? Just a 9v-in on one side and 9v(clean)-out on the other. Would the cost be worth it or would it be cheaper to buy a quality power supply?
Depending on the situation you might just want to get a small ups. They also work as power cleaner with the additional bonus that a short dip won't trigger a reset of all your digital stuff.

Stu_T

Yes and no! I can see a market for it but if people designed thier pedals properly there would be no need for it lol

Depending on the situation you might just want to get a small ups. They also work as power cleaner with the additional bonus that a short dip won't trigger a reset of all your digital stuff.
Not sold on that idea, seems like an effort for gigging, The strymon supplies are pretty quiet.

Invest in your power supply and it will pay you back thats for sure!

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
One day I might invest in a proper power supply instead of the multi-voltage wall wart and daisy chain cable I'm currently using. - one day.

I thought of two markets. Cheapskates like me who make do with whatever power supply they've got. They propbaly wouldn't buy anything extra anyway. Secondly people who like 'vintage' or 'original spec' pedals. Though I guess if they are willing to pay £££ for old circuits they have already purchased an ultimate super luxury power supply. So you're probably right in side stepping the issue.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
One day I might invest in a proper power supply instead of the multi-voltage wall wart and daisy chain cable I'm currently using. - one day.

I thought of two markets. Cheapskates like me who make do with whatever power supply they've got. They propbaly wouldn't buy anything extra anyway. Secondly people who like 'vintage' or 'original spec' pedals. Though I guess if they are willing to pay £££ for old circuits they have already purchased an ultimate super luxury power supply. So you're probably right in side stepping the issue.
I'm the same, my board is powered by two separate power supplies that cost £19 each including postage!

I'm not entirely convinced that I'll be staying with separate pedals so I don't want to spend on a nice power supply. I hear the siren call of Kemper / Helix etc. That new Mooer modeller looks pretty cool too.

Stu_T

So its been a while since I last did an update! I'll start with my recent collab with British pedal company Hello Sailor Effects.

It was a fun project with Joe from Hello sailor hand finished an Antares and Raise the dead enclosure. Both completed in his unique tattoo pin up style. These went down very well we might do something else in the future!

Next is a custom pedal I made for the Guitar nerds podcast, pink powder coat and bright white UV printing on the enclosure. SUPER happy with this pink beast!

Finally a couple of one offs, the first was a very custom order for a birthday with a face on it all about bacon. the second was a rat I made into a huge old school fuzz enclosure.