Stu's Pedal Building Adventures...

Billyblunt

Sid the sexist
Couple of tips for you. You can tell me to feck off btw its cool. Looks like you're using too heavy gauge soldering wire & that's why you're getting a build up on the stomp switch. Use the lightest you can get away with as it will run freer & you'll get a better finish at a lower temperature. The lugs on a stomp switch can easily over heat. On the pots, just bend over the small I'm put tags to make a loop & use that to solder your wires in to rather than the holes. Again, pots are really sensitive to heat & doing it that way will keep the heat away from the main body sweepers.

Stu_T

Couple of tips for you. You can tell me to feck off btw its cool. Looks like you're using too heavy gauge soldering wire & that's why you're getting a build up on the stomp switch. Use the lightest you can get away with as it will run freer & you'll get a better finish at a lower temperature. The lugs on a stomp switch can easily over heat. On the pots, just bend over the small I'm put tags to make a loop & use that to solder your wires in to rather than the holes. Again, pots are really sensitive to heat & doing it that way will keep the heat away from the main body sweepers.
Not at all.man I'll take any advice people are willing to give! I have actually change my solder this week to a much thinner gauge =)

I can see what you mean about the pots I'll give it a go on my next build. I'm waiting for some PCB's to come back from OSHpark. Hopefully most pedals will be board mounted as plated through is a lot stronger than these home etched boards. Just the headache of learning Diptrace to contend with!!

Stu_T

Also got.my 1st CAD designed PCB back this week. As it was my very try I used an existing circuit to make sure I understood how the process works. Anyway I built it up and it bloody worked I couldn't believe it haha.

New ones. Will have a few changes and the pot mounted 180 degrees the other way so should fit into a 1590A easily enough. Also the underneath will have connections and a ground pour. IMG_20170223_100023.jpg 20170223_184624~2.jpg

Stu_T

Try Eagle, it's a steep learning curve but we'll worth it. The pcb look good, keep it up you're on the right track.
I've got it installed but it's just too hard for me to get my head round at the moment. I have just sent off a couple of double layer boards for a prototype fabrication. Just too see if I understand Via's correctly!