Strap locks?

Rsx

Proprietary international, serial lurker.
Would not risk a stage without them!

For heavier guitars I would recommend the Schaller Strap Lock system. It's the one i find most comfortable and unobstrusive. For lighter guitars I prefer the Dimarzio Clip Lok Straps, they screw straight onto your guitar, and I've done various acts of guitar acrobatics with no issues with either form of lock :)

sted

Darth Sted
Staff member
dm.jpg schall.jpg straplocks.jpg
They are essential to anyone playing on stage mate, honestly, the times I've just caught my guitars by the neck with a worn strap.....
I use schallers, no other reason than I've always used them and can get in and out of them easy enough, of course you dont need full on strap locks, you can get rubber washer type of locks that go on after your strap over the buttons which work well, also I have a couple of dimarzio quick straps on some guitars which means the strap ends are screwed into the guitar and they have snap buckles on the actual strap, like a rucksack.
If you're thinking about your PRS then I would say get them, dropping that thing isnt an option!

DrKarnivore

Browsing your web and SMS history
Staff member
Never used them. I use rubber washers. You can get 10 for about 2 quid off eBay.

No screwing (and thus potential thread damage), unobtrusive, portable, no modification required etc.

Plus they last forever, I`ve had the same ones on my last remaining Ibanez for 14 years.

ten-foot-tryptych

half rock, half gas
I had the Schaller ones on my strat but they squeaked a bit so I just got a couple of rubber washers from the homecentre and locked the strap down on my LP.

DrKarnivore

Staff member
The other trouble I`ve found with cliplocks is that they scratch the shit out of the upper horn on certain guitars if they are fitted on the heel like on an SG.

Like this, admittedly this guitar is 18 years old and as gig hardened as they come, but that sh1ts through to bare wood! IMG_0955.JPG

bleifingerT

the not-fake german
i use metal washers. simply unscrew the strap button carefully, put the washer and the strap on the screw and carefully tighten it again. thing won't come off

Billyblunt

Sid the sexist
I noticed the locks on chapppers prs & wondered which ones they were? Using them on the prs is a no brainer really. It's the SG with the back fixing which is bothering me, don't want anything that would be too intrusive & anoy the feck out of me digging in etc. The rubber washers is an excellent idea, could even match the cherry red :)

sted

Darth Sted
Staff member
Yep rubber washers is deffo a quick fix that works well, getting them on though is worse than putting a johnny on, but at least you can re-use the washers eh!

I've never used strap-locks, never even entertained the idea. Every video I've seen of someone dropping their guitar has been of some tool trying to fling it over their head and the locks not holding :confused: I've been using the same two straps for 10 years and still get blisters trying to get them on and off :p

A mate of mine uses beer bottle tops

DrKarnivore

Staff member
Tell you what.

If I had a PRS. I wouldn`t take it out the case. I`d just take pictures and think about it while looking at them.

Billyblunt

Sid the sexist
SCRATCHED!!!!!! how vary dare you:). She's lovely mate, a very special lady. It is a stunning guitar & I have to pinch myself every time I open the case & realise she's mine, sad I know but it's the truth :)

adamski

Fretted Englandicana
I had an incident yesterday. Finished playing the SC and went to put it back in the rack only for it to slip slightly from my hand and knock into the upper horn of the 24! Of all the guitars I own, it had to be those 2! No real damage done - a slight mark about 2 mm wide on the bottom of the SC and a very slight decolouration of the green finish on the horn of the 24 - both you'd never notice without me pointing them out. Phew!!

I use washers for strap locks on both me fenders, the PRS' haven't been out the house yet!

sted

Darth Sted
Staff member
I know how you feel though guys, Im always wary of where my les paul is when we do rehearsal, its not been to a gig yet. Not bothered about it getting scratched and stuff, shit just happens, more bothered about some drunken fool making a lunge and me having to fend them off with a size 10 timberland, thats why Tele's are so popular, not because they sound good (Which they do) but because they are great in a scrap!