Strange high pitch resonance in ML3-RC

Massi

Hi guys, even though I put foam under the strings behind the nut and I checked my muting technique, I can hear this resonance when using moderately high gain (not so much I would need a noise gate to tame it).
I tried to furtherly mute the strings on the headstock, but the issue was still there, so I’n Assuming it should be something related to the bridge and the string through design.. did someone else experience the same problem? Is there a way to mute the strings past the saddles? It looks like there’s not enough space to do anything...

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Hi guys, even though I put foam under the strings behind the nut and I checked my muting technique, I can hear this resonance when using moderately high gain (not so much I would need a noise gate to tame it).
I tried to furtherly mute the strings on the headstock, but the issue was still there, so I’n Assuming it should be something related to the bridge and the string through design.. did someone else experience the same problem? Is there a way to mute the strings past the saddles? It looks like there’s not enough space to do anything...
Is the noise present when you play the guitar acoustically (not plugged in)?
And, I’m sure you’ve probably checked all this so I hope you don’t feel I’m being cheeky, have you checked your rig to make sure the noise isn’t coming from else where?
If you could make a vid or and audio recording of the noise that would be really helpful too...
:)

Massi

I’m using guitar amp sims only.. however as bad alice suggested, I’ve just tried it acoustically, and it was there. I tried to listen and find the source.. It seems more noticeable near the end of the headstock, although i’ve put the foam.. could it be the string trees?

ed lespaul

Tie a sock (hopefully a clean one) around the headstock and see if that helps. If not, it could possibly be a badly cut nut, or a simple string change is in order. A loose tuning peg, etc, could be the cause. Start diagnosing it step by step to start eliminating possible causes.

bad alice

Ok thanks, I’ll do it. Any tips on how to test if it’a nut problem?
If you hear a “plink” as you tighten/loosen the strings that can be a sign that the string is snagging in the nut.
A quick fix if it’s a minor issue can be rubbing pencil lead into the nut slots
The graphite that makes up the pencil lead will act as a lubricant which could help.
Failing that (and IF it is the nut) buying a new nut is simple and cheap.
But feel free to ask us for help on that if you’ve never done it before...

Chu

As @ed lespaul said, the step by step approach is absolutely key here. It's easy to chase the problem because you've overlooked something. I would really concentrate on identifying exactly when it happens. Is it every string? Every fret? I chased a similar issue with a guitar and it turned out to be that the G string nut slot was cut too low. It caused all sorts of strangeness that in hindsight I could have seen a lot sooner if I'd practiced what I preached for once!

Massi

Thanks guys for the help!

Actually I’ve got no noticeable “plinks” when tuning, but I’m experiencing intonation issues on the G string, so maybe there’s something wrong with its nut slot.. 6 months ago I adjusted all the slots because the were originally cut too high and that was making impossible to get good intonation. After the adjustment the intonation is good except for the lower 4/5 frets on the G string.. I double checked and the height of the nut slot of that string seems fine (pressing at the 2nd fret I see a very small gap over the first fret) and I’ve also put a small amount of nut sauce inside of it..

bad alice

Actually I’ve got no noticeable “plinks” when tuning, but I’m experiencing intonation issues on the G string, so maybe there’s something wrong with its nut slot.. 6 months ago I adjusted all the slots because the were originally cut too high and that was making impossible to get good intonation. After the adjustment the intonation is good except for the lower 4/5 frets on the G string.. I double checked and the height of the nut slot of that string seems fine (pressing at the 2nd fret I see a very small gap over the first fret) and I’ve also put a small amount of nut sauce inside of it..
Might be an idea to rub some graphite on the string tree edges too?
If the nut is fine (and following @Chu’s step by step advice is 100% the way to go!)
The high pitch noise you’re getting could be the string vibrating against a tiny rough piece of metal on the underside or edges of one of (or both) of the string saddles...
Keep us posted and I hope you get this sorted!

ed lespaul

If you did the nut filing yourself, did you make sure that the highest point is facing the neck?

You should be filing down towards the headstock.

Something like this:

_________________|\

Chu

I ruled out the nut being the cause of the weird resonance as it appeared to be the right height when doing the same as you.

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
Here are my thoughts, as an owner of an ML-3 Modern (legacy Korean one).
A list in order of most likely to least likely, judging by what I've read here and experienced.
ALL of these problems I've experienced personally, on various guitars.

- When I got the guitar (ML-3), I loosened the strings off, and the bridge was not fully tight to the body, so I tightened the screws under the saddles, on the plate of the bridge. That looseness could cause weird noises (and is just generally not helping anything).

- The little nut around the top of every tuner needs to be tightened up a bit. Don't get them stupid-tight to the point of trying to crack the wood or anything (no herculean strength required), just make sure none are jiggling around, cause that too can cause weird noises (and just generally isn't ideal, as they help keep the tuners stable).

- The truss rod could be loosened off and just "floating" inside the neck. That is a bad thing. Loosen the strings a bit, and see if you can loosen the truss rod, or if it's kind not tense at all. If it's not tense at all, tighten it a little bit until you feel it resist. And I mean like, a quarter of a turn at a time, not a big twist, you shouldn't be fighting with it.

- You've mentioned "adjusting" the nut slots and the nut has been brought up a lot, because, well, it's usually the problem with ringing and weird sitar-esque harmonic problems. The nut slots being too wide WILL cause a ringing at or above the nut. This is super common when you widen the slots to try to make the strings slip through easier, but you go too wide with the wrong file or whatever. I've done this... probably 4 times on 3 guitars, heh. A new nut from GraphTech or the like would fix that, if you know how to cut and shape it, but I doubt this is the problem, if you've already covered that.

- The very first fret, or the second fret may be just high enough to cause a ringing sound as the open string vibrates. The solution to this is usually a fret leveling job (kinda expensive, and not recommended to do yourself, unless you know your stuff REALLY well, but it's the correct way to fix it), and it's hard to get around it (just had to level the top 2 frets and bottom 4-5 of my buddy's Jackson, cause they were so outta whack, and it had a weird buzzing/ringing that went away after that).

Sorry if any of these have been fully covered and I missed it, cause I'm dumb.
Good luck, man.

*edit*
What uh-... What tuning are you in, by the by?
And have you tried a FretWrap behind the nut (they're made to go on the first fret area, for chugging and tight lead playing without the open strings ringing out, but people like shoving them behind the nut to fight buzz at low tunings, apparently)?

Last edited:

Massi

https://soundcloud.com/massimiliano-bianchi-7/ml3rc-resonance/s-sjc8P

In this clip I recorded the noise. I'm in Drop C, signal chain is ML3RC-Scarlett 2i2-Logic Pro X. The amp sim is BIAS 2, with the default noise gate on (threshold very very low, just to recuse the static noise when I coil-tap).
I recorded some muted strums on different frets as well as on single string. The resonance is the same in all cases.
I've wrapped the strings past the nut as well as past the string trees.

any clues?

ed lespaul

Have you started the process of debugging the issue? Have you followed the steps all of us have listed above? This can be anything from string ringing behind the nut, springs, or even a crappy setup.

ScutMonkey

Ok, this is a real long shot but it happened to me. Did you put strap locks on it? I have the Dunlop dual design strap locks on one of my guitars. Because of the way they work, the ring is very lose and now I get a sympathetic resonance on it. It's very weird, but if I put a piece of cardboard in there to tighten the ring up it mutes it.

Massi

No I don’t use strap locks.. I set up the guitar last Sunday, double checked the nut, the intonation, the truss rod, the action.. now I’ve got very good intonation on all the strings throughout the neck, no fret buzz, action is 1.75mm high E, 2.0mm low E, lubricated saddles pivot points, nut slots and string trees with the nut sauce. Also checked the screws on the brighe plate and on the tuners, as well as the height adjustment screws of each saddle, checking they were aligned. Unfortunately the resonance is still there! :-(
The only thing I can now think of is the vibration of the part of the strings going from the saddles to the back of the guitar were the ball ends are. But I don’t know how to fix it because there’s no space to put foam or tape unless I round each string with tape before putting them on... :-(