Stickers!

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.

cat-the-odd

On the other side of your screen

• I paid £10 for one earlier today. The one you mention is overkill dude, it looks amazing but so it should be for about £100! I hardly ever need to solder anything. Thanks for the suggestion though.
I hope it can deliver the heat. I had problems with a cheapo and had to invest a bit more - around 20 Euros, I think. It's adjustable in temperature and serves guitar wiring well. I wouldn't go for larger scale applications with that, though.

Note: You may experience issues with the ground connections on the pot enclosure as they transport the heat away quickly from your tip.

Happy sodderin!

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
That looks AWESOME @Wade Garrett
I just read through this whole thread
And the transformation is freakin EPIC!
Damn!:cold::clap::cold:
Be sure to give us a review of the Metal Machine (a mellow-jazz-type pickup?:D)
As, oddly enough, that was going to be my choice for my Jim Root tele
Before I decided to go with Fletcher Pickups "Purgatory" set\m/
HELLUVA good job there bud!
:)

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
That looks AWESOME @Wade Garrett
I just read through this whole thread
And the transformation is freakin EPIC!
Damn!:cold::clap::cold:
Be sure to give us a review of the Metal Machine (a mellow-jazz-type pickup?:D)
As, oddly enough, that was going to be my choice for my Jim Root tele
Before I decided to go with Fletcher Pickups "Purgatory" set\m/
HELLUVA good job there bud!
Thanks Suzy! I'm very pleased with how it's turning out. The glow in the dark stickers for the side dots arrived today.

IMG_20170407_143148950.jpg

If these work it then I'll be over the moon. I've been having fun shining the charging torch at the Salvo! Gloooooow! :D

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Thanks Suzy! I'm very pleased with how it's turning out. The glow in the dark stickers for the side dots arrived today.

View attachment 30312

If these work it then I'll be over the moon. I've been having fun shining the charging torch at the Salvo! Gloooooow! :D
Aaaah, trip-down-memory-lane time;
My first ever guitar - which currently sits on a stand on the landing - was also the first guitar I modded:)
It was a crappy acoustic of the cheese wire action variety
That I covered the top with a glued on collage of pics cut out of various magazines; The Face, Select (all gone now:() and then several layers of spray clear coat
And then spray painted the back, sides and headstock matt black.
FINALLY, I added some glow-in-the-dark plastic stars which I loved cuz I could kind of see the guitar in my room at night:)
It still played like shit but it looked killer.
It got binned as a guitar to play not long after that as I'd saved up some cash to buy my first electric and the frets on the acoustic had given up the ghost by then too.
But I kept it anyway.
The top faded quite quickly - cheap magazine dye doesn't last long when the sun hits it - so I ended up dribbling some bright pink paint over the guitar to brighten it up a bit.
I'll take a pic tomorrow if anyone wants to see it?
It's a real "time capsule" too; it has pics of Prince and Shakespear's Sister on it!
*chuckles*
I discovered the noisy joys of the 90s US Alternative Rock scene about a month after the collage was finished...

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I hope it can deliver the heat. I had problems with a cheapo and had to invest a bit more - around 20 Euros, I think. It's adjustable in temperature and serves guitar wiring well. I wouldn't go for larger scale applications with that, though.

Note: You may experience issues with the ground connections on the pot enclosure as they transport the heat away quickly from your tip.

Happy sodderin!
Yes it will be fine, I used the same cheap one for years. The only problem I've ever had was my technique! :D

beans & rice

Now that's a friggin' hot rod!

I'm guessing that's a sweet end result of one of those 50/100 vinyl sticker auctions on eBay, right? Almost pulled that trigger a few times. Now I know not to, because my Kramer would never look that good and clean. :D Excellent work.

I'll just stick to the idea of putting a lime green Tele railbucker in my Blue Meanie, and adding the Space Invaders fret marker stickers now. :D That guitar as a bright box of Crayons is still quite appealing.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Now that's a friggin' hot rod!

I'm guessing that's a sweet end result of one of those 50/100 vinyl sticker auctions on eBay, right? Almost pulled that trigger a few times. Now I know not to, because my Kramer would never look that good and clean. :D Excellent work.

I'll just stick to the idea of putting a lime green Tele railbucker in my Blue Meanie, and adding the Space Invaders fret marker stickers now. :D That guitar as a bright box of Crayons is still quite appealing.
Thanks man! I find myself looking at it then realising I have a huge grin on my face! It was a 100 sticker set, you need pretty much all of them, I only have a few left over. The wait to finish it has been doing my head in but my time off work starts on Thursday so I'm almost there!

Chu

• I paid £10 for one earlier today. The one you mention is overkill dude, it looks amazing but so it should be for about £100! I hardly ever need to solder anything. Thanks for the suggestion though.
I think mine was about £15 from B&Q in 2001. I've rewired all my electrics, built looms and numerous other projects. No complaints from me!

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I've wired the pickup in and it sounds good but not at all what I expected. To my ears it sounds more like a p90 not a 21k bridge humbucker, have a listen to the clips I've attached to see what you think.

As far as I know I wired it correctly, there's no ground hum but I do notice an eq change in the background noise when the volume pot reaches towards full volume.

Strange.

Attachments

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
What's the difference, doesn't it all connect to ground?
Connecting the pickup's black wire to the pot lug allows some of the signal which should go from the pot lug to ground to go from the pot lug to the pickup. By the same token, some of what the pickup should send to ground will instead connect to the pot lug. This compromises both the function of the pot and the function of the pickup.

The rule with grounds is: only one path to ground; no stops along the way. Having multiple ground connections on the back of a pot is fine, so long as the back of that pot only has one path to ground.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Connecting the pickup's black wire to the pot lug allows some of the signal which should go from the pot lug to ground to go from the pot lug to the pickup. By the same token, some of what the pickup should send to ground will instead connect to the pot lug. This compromises both the function of the pot and the function of the pickup.

The rule with grounds is: only one path to ground; no stops along the way. Having multiple ground connections on the back of a pot is fine, so long as the back of that pot only has one path to ground.
Ah OK. So the only thing I need to change is the re solder the black wire to the back of the pot? The screen can stay on the lug?

Edit: I need to move the screen to the back of the pot as well don't I? So just the ground goes the the lug and the only other connection on the lug is to the back of the pot.

Last edited:

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
Edit: I need to move the screen to the back of the pot as well don't I? So just the ground goes the the lug and the only other connection on the lug is to the back of the pot.
That is correct: one ground wire from the lug to the back of the pot, all other ground wires to the back of the pot. The back of the pot should be wired to the output jack's ground lug.