Stickers!

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
As some of you might remember I bought some stickers to cover my Adam Black guitar. I decided not to do it, return the guitar to stock and try to sell it again but I've always been in two minds about getting rid of it because it has a very unique neck. It's narrow, shallow and v shaped, I've not come across another like it.

Since I will need to level the frets on my Jaden I thought I might as well get some practice in on the AB first. Then it snowballed :rolleyes: ! I'm keeping it, the mods are staying on and the stickers are a go. I've also ordered an uprated pot and jack to go with the new Iron Gear Metal Machine humbucker (in white with black poles).

IMG_20170405_113053115_HDR.jpg

I haven't played much on this in quite a while so it needed a good clean then I the stripped all the parts.

IMG_20170405_123020123.jpg

Once clean I got stickering! I have decided that only top will be stickered so I need to cut stickers to shape on the sides to make it tidier than just wrapping them around. At first I stuck one on and tried to cut it with a scalpel but it was hard to get a good line. In the end I ended up putting the sticker lnder the guitar and using it as a template to mark the sticker so I could cut it with scissors.

I also realised than taking off the neck would make things easier and discovered a fair bit of over spray in the pocket.

IMG_20170405_135224610_HDR.jpg

It's quite thick so I guess the neck has never quite sat at the proper angle. I'll sand this out before putting the neck back on.

I ran out of time and had to leave for work but this is where I have got to.

IMG_20170405_140607907.jpg

It's quite a mellow process, I'm having fun. I really want to get back to it! I've got a day off tomorrow so I'll carry on then.

Last edited:

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I forgot to add that I have glow in the dark side dots on the way too. The side fret markers on this are tiny and as you can see there's nothing on the board. I've had a couple of scary moments in darker rooms when I had no idea what fret I was going for! Not funny!

I think I'm going to roll the fretboard while I'm at it too.

DrHankWanfordSnr

That's not new, its always been there.
I forgot to add that I have glow in the dark side dots on the way too. The side fret markers on this are tiny and as you can see there's nothing on the board. I've had a couple of scary moments in darker rooms when I had no idea what fret I was going for! Not funny!

I think I'm going to roll the fretboard while I'm at it too.
**cough** you'll take photos obv **cough**

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
I got a chance to carry on after Kerry went to bed. Here's where I'm up to.

View attachment 30230
The stickers are all done so I can cut out screw and tuner holes tomorrow, get the neck back on and start on the frets and the rolling while I wait for the pickup to arrive. The guitar was so black before you could hardly see it, not so much now!
In every forum member's life, there comes a time when a friend makes something so awesome that it creates GAS. This is one of those times.

DrHankWanfordSnr

That's not new, its always been there.
I got a chance to carry on after Kerry went to bed. Here's where I'm up to.

View attachment 30230
The stickers are all done so I can cut out screw and tuner holes tomorrow, get the neck back on and start on the frets and the rolling while I wait for the pickup to arrive. The guitar was so black before you could hardly see it, not so much now!
Yee Haw !
I like that alot.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I got more done today. First off I rolled the fretboard edges, you can see how it was initially in this picture:

IMG_20170406_125940930.jpg

I did it with a craft knife, just gently scraping back and forth to round it over. You can see the difference here between the top and bottom half:

IMG_20170406_130949238.jpg

I considered doing the scallop rolling like I did on my Harley Benton but went with a more traditional roll in the end. All done:

IMG_20170406_133722164.jpg

IMG_20170406_133749241_HDR.jpg

The mini pile of Ebony dust was cute!

IMG_20170406_134107916.jpg

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I then got busy on the frets. I put the neck back on the body, straightened it with a notched straight edge then taped off the fretboard and marked the frets with a sharpy.

IMG_20170406_150658728.jpg

I put some fresh sandpaper on my sanding been and went at it. It became apparent that the top frets needed a fair bit more work so I opted for a fall away. I put 5 layers of tape on the 12th fret to create an angle and used the beam again. This should really help to get a low action.

IMG_20170406_151854047.jpg

I then marked the frets again and profiled the frets using a special file.

IMG_20170406_153119554.jpg

The next step was getting rid of filing marks and polishing the frets with micro mesh and then oiling the fretboard.

IMG_20170406_155955603.jpg

I also took the micro mesh to the back of the neck. It's now very glossy but slick as anything! The micro mesh took off a load of dirt I didn't realise was there too. One newly revived neck:

IMG_20170406_161621363.jpg
IMG_20170406_161558639.jpg

The neck felt great before so I can't wait to give it a go now!

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
During all of this I got a delivery,

IMG_20170406_162354060.jpg

IMG_20170406_162533970.jpg

IMG_20170406_162952829.jpg
I got my soldering gear out to put the pickup in only to find that my iron is awal! I have no idea where it is, I'll have to go buy one tomorrow so I can finish this.

I put the hardware back on and installed the pickup to what it all looks like together. It looks pretty cool!

IMG_20170406_172909073.jpg

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I managed to clean up the edge of the stickers on the side of the belly cut last night, they overhung the edge just a bit because the technique of using the body as a template was harder there due to the fact the guitar didn't reach the sticker. I didn't have much luck trimming the sticker on the guitar using a scalpel the other day but I tried again with a fresh blade and it worked great. I guess the other blade was a bit blunt by now.

I strung it up as well to see if the fretjob was OK. I out some 9-46 on it and I have to say that I am very happy with it. The action is as low as I can go without choking on a bend and every note sounds out. Result! I do feel though that I didn't quite get the sanding marks out from the frets, they feel a bit scratchy, I need to address that.

I'm to buy a soldering iron in a bit, I want to hear the guitar roar!