Star Wars VII <<SPOILERS>>

Discussion in 'Geeks Unite' started by doctorpaul, Dec 23, 2015.

1. doctorpaul

doctorpaul Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full. Staff Member

Ok dorks.
    Please feel free to discuss Star Wars VII stuff here.
    If you've not seen the film yet, DON'T READ THIS THREAD.

There you go.

I'll start ... The new girl? FIT.

DrHankWanfordSnr likes this.
  2. Sam Corrigan

Sam Corrigan Well-Known Member

I was very surprised that Rey was the one who could control the force, i think me along with everyone expected fin to be the one.

3. Strigidae

Strigidae I like owls.

YouTube Channel:
    Kebbe666
    Finally! :D

I thought Ray was fantastic. Ridley was a fantastic choice for this role, being somewhat unknown and all. I also liked the kind of Han Solo-esque roll Boyega got with FN2187. What I absolutely hated was the romance JJ started building up between the characters, hopefully put to rest with the "friend"-remark by the end of the film. The line "You got a boyfriend" was cringeworthy, as was the "awkward silence"-moments on the Falcon. The whole "strong female character needs supporting male love interest"-cliché needs to stop. Like yesterday.

Kylo-Ren felt like a joke. Really, they wrote in this whiny boyband-looking fashion statement of a character as a main antagonist? Really? I mean he started out great with that badass capture of Poe, but as soon as he removed his "it looks cool" mask and started whining to his mommy Snoke (J.K. Rowling called and wanted her antagonist name back). The scene where Hux and Ren stood in front of that godawful CGI-monster Snoke and blamed each other for the map-failure was something I'd have expected from a Family Guy-parody, not Star Wars.

Also - The badass Kylo-Ren from the first scenes, the one who stopped a blast mid air - The one trained by both Luke and the Supreme Leader Hit...Snoke. Supreme Leader Snoke. That one, he had problems beating a freshly escaped Stormtrooper /who bailed after his first battle) with a borrowed lightsaber in 1v1 combat? Again - Really? Right before he almost gets killed by Rey who never held a lightsaber before? Another joke. Vader killed Jedi Master Kenobi and almost killed Luke for two films before Luke even stood a chance, yet this new menacing villain barely beats a Stormtrooper.. A big letdown for me.

I had no problem accepting that Rey discovered her powers unusually fast and without training, this is for a new generation who's attention span won't allow two films before the protagonist swings a lightsaber and uses the force effectively. I also accept the fact that FN2187 could hold his own in lightsaber combat, since it was explained by him fighting the other Stormtrooper earlier, but Ren should realistically have killed them both in that fight.

Captain Phasma - Another First Order badass. Indoctrinated since birth, fighting her way up the ranks of this new empire to the roll of Captain........ gives up at the first possibly threat (despite having the upper hand with information) and single-handedly destroys Starkiller Base minutes before wiping out the resistance by lowering the shields without torture. What. The. Hell. She can't possibly return in VIII as anything other than an outcast out for revenge, returning to First Order can't even be an alternative for this trilogy to even remotely follow it's own rules of what is realistic. Over-hyped character made to sell toys, hugely underuse of Gwendoline Christies talents and another huge disappointment.

I liked that Han was killed off, I hated that he was killed by that whiny asshat Kylo-Ren, but I think it was a good way to show any form of threat from the First Order (what little it had after presenting that man-child of a Sith presence). Ford did a fantastic job with his Han Solo performance, but something needed to carry weight in the film and the death of a new character would not have sufficed. And JJ better not kill Chewie, don't even think about it.

Other than that I really loved the film. Great pacing, with only the cantina scene overstaying its welcome a bit, fantastic acting from everyone but Adam Driver and a great setup for a new trilogy. The CGI was used to enhance the film rather than to overshadow the practical effects, I liked that. It was used as the tool I think it should be, to bring scenes to life that would have been impossible with practical effects only. Effects-wise, the only thing I didn't like was the new cheapo-plastic C3P0-suit. The old gold-chrome one was much better in my opinion.

The minimal presence of Luke was a nice buildup, even though it was sad to never have the reunion of the original cast I'd rather have that awesome end scene and something to wait for with the sequel. With all of the introductions out of the way I think the next one has even more potential to be fantastic.

All and all I think Abrams delivered with this one. The antagonist was badly written, the tired romance cliché as well, but the pure awesomeness of Rey and Han Solo was enough to carry the film despite those problems. Would it have been remotely as good without Ford? No, I don't think so. But it wouldn't have been a bad film, Rey really was that good, in my opinion.

4. Sam Corrigan

I disagree that it wouldn't have been good without ford, i think John Boyega is an incredible new actor, and really brought something to the film. I have a feeling Han isn't gone, and in some far fetched scenario they will bring him back; I hope they dont however.

5. moonman

moonman Well-Known Member

Loved it, but killing Solo off at this early stage into the new trilogy was a very bad move Imo. It won't be the same for me without Solo.

6. AndyBirger

AndyBirger Fuzz is all you need

I think that killing off Solo, while hitting me right in the childhood, was a good move. I think it starts the buildup to when one of the protagonists finally kills Kylo. I hope that Kylo returns in future films more mature and fit for his role, as suggested by Snoke's "it's time to finish his training" line. Something like what happens with Vader between Episode III and the original trilogy.

7. A-D-L

A-D-L Northern Monkey

Distinctly average. It felt like they remade A New Hope. Fucking secret thing hidden inside a droid that has to be delivered to people you trust. Another fucking death star. Planets destroyed as a test. Blowing up another fucking death star. Fighting in a trench while blowing it up. Discovering the force by a new main character. New budget Darth Vader that is commanded by a shit Palpatine.

What really pissed me off was after destroying the death star it turned into the fucking star that it ate. That isn't how these things work. At all. Science has gone too far.

Future spoiler I guess? Harrison Force has been put in the case list for VIII so this isn't the last we've seen of him.

Dj_host and peachy901 like this.
  8. moonman

moonman Well-Known Member

I really hope so.

Yes, when it comes to Star Wars, I'm really that pathetic.

bad alice and Chili Hobbes like this.
  9. A-D-L

A-D-L Northern Monkey

Cast not case. He's either a force ghost or coming back with an upgrade like Gandalf did. Either way, i'm just waiting to hear him say "I want my family back!"

Uptown likes this.
  10. doctorpaul

He got stabbed in the guts with a light saber, then fell a mile into the abyss, then the planet he was on blew up to fuckery.
    He's not still alive.
    That would be silly.

11. Sam Corrigan

It would be silly, but it is starwars, I wouldn't be suprised

12. Strigidae

Strigidae I like owls.

YouTube Channel:
    Kebbe666

You should be surprised, that would be way out of character for what we've seen from Star Wars. I'm counting the films here, not the fan fiction/expanded universe.

[​IMG]

13. Alex Theory

Alex Theory Northern Monkey

If I had ears and a nose like Kylo Ren, i'd wear a fucking mask too.

bad alice and flawlessandeternal like this.
  14. Steve91

Steve91 Wannabe Superheroine.

I want to know how Han and Leia had a son with a German accent.

peachy901 likes this.
  15. doctorpaul

Is it bad that I wondered whether Solo got her to wear the "Jabba's Slave" outfit immediately prior to the conception?
    :);):p
    And ... just because I CAN ...
    [​IMG]

16. ArchieIsted

ArchieIsted Well-Known Member

This is an interesting point I've heard a few people bring up, I think Ren being a winy teenager was sort of the point. The whole film he basically idolises Vader but constantly displays frustration in being nothing compared to him.
    Compare their presence in the films and its clear (in my opinion at least) that Ren is meant to have all the same interactions whilst being nothing like Vader.

When Vader is first presented he's like this super evil badass from start to finish, he barely lets up until towards the end of RotJ
    Ren is constantly talked back to by soldiers of varying rank where Vader commanded such fear they dared not, when Vader was failed he simply killed the one responsible and moved on, Ren throws a little hissy fit with his lightsaber because he is so desperate to be Vader but just isn't. He's so angry with himself because he's nothing like what he's supposed to be

At the end he finally gives the audience a reason to fear/hate him by killing possible the most beloved star wars character ever, I think it has potential to be a really interesting character arc and there's already been a lot of development there with him killing Han (Vader killed his father figure in a New Hope) and he assumes he's committed to the dark side now, able to become as powerful as Vader.

As for the fight at the end he had just been shot with a bowcaster which earlier in the film (and in the EU, if any of thats still cannon) had been established to be pretty powerful. He was bleeding a lot and basically dying, Rey defeating him isnt that much of a stretch, after all at this point Ren is basically a padawan.

A lot of people aren't too keen on Ren but I think he has a lot of potential as a villain which this film set up pretty well.

basil walls and bad alice like this.
  17. doctorpaul

I think that Kylo Ren's character was great ... it's been established that he's a padawan.
    He's Vader's grandson FFS ...
    Awesome.
    I'm cool with him playing a hissy teenager ... his character IS a hissy teenager.

Alex Theory, bad alice and peachy901 like this.
  18. ArchieIsted

ArchieIsted Well-Known Member

I do think they have to go somewhere with him though (which it looks like they will...I hope)
    He cant stay a hissy teenager for 3 films otherwise he's basically prequels anakin (who sucked)

bad alice likes this.
  19. doctorpaul

dead right, so he finishes his training and becomes awesome. Easy!

bad alice likes this.
  20. Strigidae

Strigidae I like owls.

YouTube Channel:
    Kebbe666

That's not true though, he's supposed to be 29-30 while the actor is 32.

I don't think the character gave any reason to hate or fear him, I was more annoyed by the fact that Han Solo was killed by that whiny man-child. It's lazy writing; "Hate this character - he killed your favorite!" it's even more obvious when Abrams have to spell out Ren's struggle with the light side since Driver couldn't act the part; "I feel it again, the call to the light". Vader hade the same struggle through Return of the Jedi but never had to spell it out.

Also, I'm fine with Rey ending up beating Ren in the fina battle. Not only did she have experience from fighting with her staff, but she won when she combined this experience with the force. As I said: Fair play, I'll buy it. However, I won't buy for a second that he didn't kill Boyega's character right away, that's just silly no matter how badly he was shot.

In my opinion Kylo-Ren shoud have never removed his mask (or have one for looks only). He shouldn't have fought Boyega at all, not if Boyega's character was supposed to survive. And with how badly that character was written, he should have never killed Han Solo. It would have been better if Han died on a suicide mission with the Falcon or not at all.