Snake Oil Fine Instruments

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
I did not know the backstory of the Snake Oil expression. With that in mind I like the branding even less. It's a risk, especially with the Psychomatic Drive in mind some might think it's a joke. But again, I like the looks and if they sound good they will sell. But still, branding is key.
That's the thing, though, it *is* a joke. They're serious pedals that (from what I've seen in the videos) have a seriously good sound, but they're from a company that's poking a little fun both at themselves and the notion that there's some magical tone box that's going to be the panacea to all your "TOAN NEEDZ."

That's the thing, though, it *is* a joke. They're serious pedals that (from what I've seen in the videos) have a seriously good sound, but they're from a company that's poking a little fun both at themselves and the notion that there's some magical tone box that's going to be the panacea to all your "TOAN NEEDZ."
The name goes in the vein of Bonamassa's "Overrated Special", the term "snake oil" can't be a foreign concept for that many people.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck

After hearing the pedals both through the Chapman announcement/advertising and in a more casual setting, I think they sound fantastic.
The sound I hear in this video at least makes me want to hear it in real life. That's a plus point. Still don't like the branding.

Chu

I understood the name immediately and find the sales pitch to be very agreeable. It amuses me regarding Lee and Rob's thoughts on JAFOD videos but i think they sound great. Shame I have no interest in buying any pedal ever.

hendrixisgod

Argumentative Bastard
Genuinely does it matter what a pedal looks like? I get a guitar has gotta to want to make you play but a pedal is just a tool. I mean a ratchet is a ratchet regardless of its looks

hendrixisgod

Argumentative Bastard
Doesn't matter when it comes to sound but it does matter in terms of sales and there's literally no downsides for us as consumers to get a nice looking pedal.
I've never felt that way about a pedal. With pedals they are all about sound, durability and footprint (I would love my deja vibe to be smaller). if money can be saved on the graphic please save it, that bit is just snake oil.

hendrixisgod

Argumentative Bastard
Yes. Because it is directly linked to the identity of the brand.
So it's good for the brand, doesn't really mean anything for the player. Like i said durability, sound and footprint. Fulltone and wampler Pedals are all different shapes and sizes. I'm just saying I've never looked at pedal and thought "I've got to see what that sounds like" I just play everything in a store until I find what I like. Totally different with the actual guitar.​

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
So it's good for the brand, doesn't really mean anything for the player. Like i said durability, sound and footprint. Fulltone and wampler Pedals are all different shapes and sizes. I'm just saying I've never looked at pedal and thought "I've got to see what that sounds like" I just play everything in a store until I find what I like. Totally different with the actual guitar.​
Every company has a different thought process on how to market themselves. Wampler differs from the likes of Boss but they still have their own basic methodology. Brian changes it up quite a bit and while the pedals are all slightly different in shape and size they are all easily identifiable if you remove his name. Same with boss. Take the name off the pedal and you’ll still know that the dark blue one a blues driver and the light blue one is a chorus. Brian also uses different colours for his designs as does Thorpy FX.

My only pessimistic stance on the Snake Oil pedals is the lack of bright/easily identifiable colours for stage use. I’d also be interested to know who is building the units.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Genuinely does it matter what a pedal looks like? I get a guitar has gotta to want to make you play but a pedal is just a tool. I mean a ratchet is a ratchet regardless of its looks
Yes, when I look down at my board I want to see something that is visually pleasing. BUT!!!, it's not the most important thing. Sound is most important. If you can have great sound and have it be visually pleasing, then that's a double win.

Lonestar

SC Relics Guitars
To suggest aesthetics isn’t important is a little futile. Of course it’s functionality must be the most important along with the tone it gives you in your chain. But if we applied the flawed logic to everything in life we’d be living in a grey scale boring world. Some form of design is necessary for both the company and the consumer.

hendrixisgod

Argumentative Bastard
Yes, when I look down at my board I want to see something that is visually pleasing. BUT!!!, it's not the most important thing. Sound is most important. If you can have great sound and have it be visually pleasing, then that's a double win.
to me the design is only there so i step on the wrong button.