Snake Oil Fine Instruments

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
The design is fantastic, will have to wait for the prices before any further judgement.
I believe Chappers questionably stated "Below £200 but above £100", so I'm gonna guess... £179... probably.

And, if they look as cool in person as they do in picture/video, and they sound as good as they seem to... I'd have at least one of them, if they are under $200 USD.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I don't like the branding. It sounds like something that sounded cool in the creator's head, but in reality is kind of lame. I do like the looks. Can't really judge the sound. Do we really need more OD and distortion pedals? I am curious about the pricing.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
I don't like the branding. It sounds like something that sounded cool in the creator's head, but in reality is kind of lame. I do like the looks. Can't really judge the sound. Do we really need more OD and distortion pedals? I am curious about the pricing.
The name of the company confused me when I first saw the post, I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be joke or not. Snake Oil suggests they don't work, remember the Psychosomatic Drive? They look great though.

I believe Chappers questionably stated "Below £200 but above £100", so I'm gonna guess... £179... probably.

And, if they look as cool in person as they do in picture/video, and they sound as good as they seem to... I'd have at least one of them, if they are under $200 USD.
Makes sense, that would put them in the same price range as Stone Deaf, maybe add some £ for the more expensive finish.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
They look FAB.
I really hope they’ve gone with metal knobs to complete the funky old style metal steampunkesque vibe.
Plastic would be a HUGE disappointment.
Will I buy one?
No; the Helix has all my OD needs covered.
But in an already oversaturated (see what I did...*finger guns*) OD pedal market the design aesthetic alone will help them get noticed and shift loads.
Plus folk can be pretty binary when it comes to Chappers and that can definitely influence whether they want to buy a Chapman, so maybe launching these pedals under a different name might sneak those who’ve decided “NEVA a Chapman” into giving the pedals an actual try before deciding yay/nay?
:)

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
Interesting. I LOVE the name. I think it's great as it speaks to the fact that there is a lot of "snake oil" in tone discussions. These are a complete win for me. Branding, aesthetics. Out of the ballpark win. I'll probably get both.

everfreetree

I... I like trees.
Interesting point, I hadn't thought of it in that way.
From what I heard in the live video Rob did from NAMM, he got the idea initially, when someone angrily commented on a video, saying all he does is sell crap and trick poor kids into buying it, and called him a "Snake Oil salesman", and he thought it was funny and ran with it.
I enjoy this. And I love the name and design concepts being based around the tone-based snake oil salesman, trying to push his "THE VERY THING YOU NEED!" products, heh.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I did not know the backstory of the Snake Oil expression. With that in mind I like the branding even less. It's a risk, especially with the Psychomatic Drive in mind some might think it's a joke. But again, I like the looks and if they sound good they will sell. But still, branding is key.