Single player v online

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Wade Garrett, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”

Let me know when you're getting a game together, please, provided you do not mind teaching a newb.

2. A-D-L

A-D-L Northern Monkey

We've taught plenty of newbs before. All that is required is patience and about 4 free hours.

Robstafarian likes this.
  3. ed lespaul

ed lespaul Well-Known Member

Usually, when you first start out playing online, you mark whatever servers you join as a favorite. This is a mistake that most people make. Keep searching for servers where people on it play like you do. I've been gaming to far too many years, and only have 3 favorites. Out of those 3, I usually only play on one of them. People eventually know you (your game persona, not real), and it becomes very enjoyable.

If you keep playing on a different server each time, you don't get that experience. This is what makes it so difficult starting out, because you HAVE to keep playing different servers. That's why it's so difficult when starting out. But if you get over that hurdle, you'll enjoy it so much more.

There is also an element of single player games, where you learn the AI. With people, you eventually learn their tendencies, but (most) people are not as linear as computer AI is.

Robstafarian likes this.
  4. DrKarnivore

DrKarnivore Browsing your web and SMS history Staff Member

When you`d just got a Winner Winner Chicken Dinner against 100 other people in PUBG, online gaming makes a lot of sense.....

5. ScutMonkey

ScutMonkey Well-Known Member

The first multiplayer game I ever played was the original Doom in college on a four person LAN in the University computer labs. I was totally hooked.

The "problem" with single player games for me is the computer will never come up with unintended consequences. A couple of my favorite moments:

1. We had a guy in college who used to drive us nuts so three of us ganged up on him in Doom and "spawn camped" him until he quit in disgust. Shining moment.
    2. Blizzard ran a special event right before the Lich King xpac release. You could get a plague and transmit it to others. A group of my online friends and I brought down the entire alliance side one night by hanging out at all portals and gryphon points and infected everyone on the server. Apparently our server wasn't the only one this happened on and the plague was removed the next day. It was amazing.
    3. One night two friends and I were playing DayZ and we were talking in Ventrillo. A fourth friend who we thought was AFK was lurking and logged into our server with a different name and started stalking us. We had no idea at first and this fourth friend started headshotting the dude with anger issues over and over for a solid hour but told the rest of us what he was doing in whisper chat. It was phenomenal.

I have a group of friends I've been gaming with for almost 15 years and it's what makes multiplayer gaming worth it. I've met several of them in real life. It's always a good time.

Robstafarian likes this.
  6. mirage2101

mirage2101 Well-Known Member

And that's the thing right there. You need great people to play with.
    I used to play city of heroes back in the day and got into a great guild. Met a few of them too.
    In world of warcraft I got into a great guild and met a lot of them.

But in modern games like destiny.. It's almost impossible to meet new people. So if you don't have an existing gaming group, or enough time to play you're not going to meet new people.
    I have to say with my current play schedule I would'nt be able to keep up raiding in WoW either.

Robstafarian likes this.
  7. ScutMonkey

ScutMonkey Well-Known Member

That's my problem too. Time. I got laid off a few years ago and the new job I took came with a 1.5 hour commute in each direction. All my time is playing with the kids. No more gaming until they're old enough and we can do it together - if they even want to.

Robstafarian likes this.
  8. mirage2101

That actually sounds like a great future.. playing video games or stuff like D&D with the kids..
    If you read penny-arcade, those guys to stuff like that. When I was in WoW we had a family as members. Parents and teenage kids raiding together. That's a nice goal.

Robstafarian likes this.
  9. Chili Hobbes

Chili Hobbes So much time, and so little to do.

My daughter and 2 of my 3 boys have PS4s (the last will get his own when his next birthday rolls around) and we all play together.

I haven't unleashed them on CoD yet, but it's awesome fun and has breathed new life into my own online gaming enjoyment.

SchecterPT and Robstafarian like this.
  10. Robstafarian

Do you folks play…Rocket League?!

:cold:

11. Chili Hobbes

Chili Hobbes So much time, and so little to do.

Not yet but I've had it recommended to me.

Robstafarian likes this.
  12. Robstafarian

Please, let me know if you decide to play it; my pings to the European servers are usable, as some members here can confirm.

Chili Hobbes likes this.
  13. ElectricSaga

ElectricSaga Bearded person

Interesting thread, sorry if I'm necrobumping (although 3 months isn't enough for a thread to rot is it?)

Either way, I think single player and multiplayer (whether local, LAN or over the internet) simply provide different experiences.

"Traditional" cRPG's (Infinity Engine, Fallout, Pillars of Eternity, etc.) must remain single player games. Everything in these games is/should be about deliberate planning and decision-making, even combat, and I personally like to take my sweet time to enjoy every detail.

"Local" 2 player games such as fighting or split screen action games tend to be more active and engaging for everybody.

4+ via LAN or the Internet are pretty diverse but in general mechanics have to be simple to grasp and gameplay relatively straightforward but rewarding (in order to attract and support a larger audience), such as arena shooters or MMO's.

I think all of these are very different styles for different moods/preferences and don't affect each other (except when shitty, lazy companies add unnecessary "online" features). I personally don't play online much or at all. Sometimes the occasional arena FPS. My most memorable multiplayer gaming experiences have been playing simple games like Hammerwatch or Torchlight via LAN with friends, and local multiplayer with my wife. But I have very fond memories playing cRPG's, from Baldur's Gate 2 to Pillars of Eternity, alone.

Robstafarian likes this.
  14. Robstafarian

Check out Divinity: Original Sin (which I have barely begun) and its sequel.

ElectricSaga likes this.
  15. ElectricSaga

ElectricSaga Bearded person

Actually played Divinity Original Sin, the first one, somewhat recently. It's a good attempt at 2 player co-op within a story driven game, but honestly the plot and the writing of D:OS is cartoonish at best. The combat is great and most battles are quite fun, but dialogue lines and conflict resolution through rock-paper-scissors are simply stupid. Even though combat becomes easy and boring towards the end I still played all of it and I definitely recommend it. Great mechanics, but doesn't measure up to the classics or what Obsidian/inXile are doing. Even Shadowrun Returns is better written.

I heard the second part is much better in every way.

Oh and by the way, Pillars of Eternity II just came out today! I am a Fig backer but I think I'll wait until they release a few patches first.

Robstafarian likes this.
  16. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

It's funny to see this thread. EA have shown that Multi Player over Single Player, is not what all players want.

While online games like Fortnight and PUBG, have proven to be very successful, they still don't appeal to everyone.

This year I got a PS4 Pro and for the first time since owning a PS4 in 2014, I decided to give some of the single player games I owned a proper try. I fell in love with The Witcher 3 and then I bought Horizon Zero Dawn. These two games proved that there is still a big desire for well written, designed and built single player games.

The game I played the most on my PS4 and on my PS4 Pro is still Final Fantasy 14, which is an MMORPG. I use to play MMO's on my PC when I was able to sit at a desk without it impacting my back. I have recently bought a load of games, mainly by Square Enix. Nier Automata, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 & 2.5, Final Fantasy 15. I also bought Destiny 2 and Skyrim. These games have all been pretty big sellers and show that there is still a market and publishers for strong, well produced single player content.

DrHankWanfordSnr likes this.
  17. Robstafarian

I got the impression that Destiny 2, like Destiny before it, is essentially an MMORPG.

Felix likes this.
  18. mirage2101

You can play destiny 2, like destiny before without ever having human contact.
    You can do strikes with a couple of other players and while you'll run into guys speeding through the mission it essentially is coop with smarter AI.
    The only thing you really need friends for are the big endgame missions (I might be getting my terminology wrong here)
    So if you go solo you're locked out from a bit of the content. I think the latest patch even repurposes those endgame missions as story missions but I haven't played it yet.

I don't play a lot and don't want to pin myself on specific times with others. With the limited matchmaking, and without me making a dedication to entire evenings of gaming I won't be able to do that endgame stuff. But I still had a lot of fun with destiny 1 and 2. I don't regret getting 2 with the season pass.

If it's on for cheap destiny 1 story is a great way to spend some time.

Felix likes this.
  19. Felix

Felix Addicted to Grunge

Roberto, @mirage2101 is very correct about Destiny/Destiny 2.

I played a lot of Destiny 1, but with the low level cap, you hit it pretty soon and then it's just a gear grinding session (just like Diablo 3, which is actually really good on PS4). Destiny 2 seems to be identical aesthetics wise (I would bet it's still the same game engine), but they just did a new story and built new maps etc.

What I really don't like about Destiny is how it's always online and even if you're only wanting to do single player content, you have to deal with masses of people in a few key locations. Also you have to alter some setting so people can't just drop into your game/map while you're playing. I got Destiny 2 really cheaply via Game's website. I actually have bought 3 games with them recently at a fraction of the price the PSN (PlayStation Network) has them up for. I prefer to have all my games as a digital copy, as you can always download them again if you have to free up space on your hard drive. I plan to upgrade to a 2TB SSD by the end of the year, so I can take advantage of the much faster game loading times.

One thing I really hated with The Witcher 3, was whenever you died, it could take over 90 seconds to reload the game. Which with one tricky boss fight took me a whole afternoon to beat, because I had to wait for the blasted thing to load all the time!

The problem with Destiny is you can tell they focus on you buying the season pass or getting the DLC content that they release twice a year. It's just a sleazy cash grab, where you don't even get the full game and have to wait months for the next instalment to progress with the wider ranging storyline. It's typical shit that Activision and EA do all the time. They don't give a crap about giving you a quality single player product, as they are so focused on getting people hooked on the multiplayer aspect, where they can keep you paying out cash for items for the multiplayer, as this gets them more profit over time and is much easier to do.

Thank god for CD Project Red and Gorilla Studios.

I've just preordered Street Fighter 30th anniversary edition, which has all the classic Street Fighters from '91 through to the early '00s. I even have a really nice Madcatz Fightstick Pro , so I can get the authentic arcade feeling while throwing out fireballs and Dragon Punches!

20. Robstafarian

Beware, the ROMs are from the initial US arcade releases.