Single player v online

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Wade Garrett, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett I am the projectionist.

With on line gaming becoming so popular do you think the single player experience is going to die out?

I've never been attracted to on line gaming, I just don't like the idea of if. For me, a game is about losing my self in another world, becoming someone else and living the experience. The few times I've had on line experiences with others I've found it extremely annoying to say the least.

In Watchdogs people would suddenly attack you out of nowhere when you were in the middle of doing your thing, totally taking me out of the moment and the story (I found my self shooting them just because they had annoyed the shit out of me.....and I had a rocket launcher). On line car racing sucked too, the players didn't race, they just rammed you off the course. That's not racing, it's just someone trying to win at all costs, which is once again annoying. Don't get me started on shooters, being killed every 10 seconds isn't fun.

Maybe I just suck at games, and if I do then I'm fine with it. In a single player game I can tailor how hard the game is to how good I am so I can actually enjoy it. Maybe it's because I started playing games in the 80's when online wasn't even an option, I didn't have my PS2 or 360 online either.

There's been a few games as of late that have forsaken a single player mode or just had a half arsed one which is not a trend I want to see continue. Buy all means have the online stuff, plenty of people like it, just don't forget the single players out there developers.

@ssinine likes this.
  2. Robstafarian

Robstafarian The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus” Staff Member

I play single-player games to lose myself in a world (e.g. Skyrim and The Witcher 3) or a story (e.g. any number of JRPGs); sometimes, single-player games are all about about their gameplay (e.g. Ys). I play multiplayer games to lose myself in teamwork with friends (e.g. Borderlands, Rocket League, Overwatch, Fortnite: Battle Royale) or competition with friends (e.g. Ultra Street Fighter IV, Street Fighter V, Rocket League private matches, Overwatch custom games, simultaneous solo runs in Fortnite: Battle Royale).

Wade Garrett likes this.
  3. cat-the-odd

cat-the-odd On the other side of your screen

Single player games won't die out. Don't worry.
    I myself was put off by open online gaming for the reasons Wade gave above. Playing with friends is another story though.

Anyways gladly I play much less games than I used to do. Those eat up a lot of time!

Wade Garrett likes this.
  4. Wade Garrett

I find interaction with real people in games very different to AI and not in a good way. I suppose it changes the feel of games for me, it's just not what I'm used to.

5. Frank T

Frank T New Member

I played PC online gaming for about 6 years quite some years ago.

It was all like minded people and I still have friends from that time as a result.

The console approach is somewhat different I’d say having moved to the dark side and gotten myself one - you certainly find a different type of person playing console rather than PC.

Getting back to your point however, single player won’t go. With Star Wars Battlefront they made a terrible mistake having it down as missions that you replayed over and over.

With our Clan (yes, we ran 4 servers and a forum) we could control the game play, kick shmucks out, and define the type of games, even create our own maps. This was when it was Call of Duty 2 and Battlefield 2142.... good days....

Wade Garrett likes this.
  6. Wade Garrett

I was gutted about Star Wars Battlefront, I really wanted a story mode.

beans & rice likes this.
  7. @ssinine

@ssinine Professional noodler

Haha, this hits a nerve. One of my first experiences of playing online was Counter-Strike 1.6 on dialup with a ridiculous ping.
    Never again. And while I did have a lot of fun in college playing Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed on LAN, my best memories will always be single player games.

Wade Garrett likes this.
  8. beans & rice

beans & rice Well-Known Member

My wife and I both like to play the same games, so we've been a 2-console house since the PS3 first came out.
    We're also both picky about online play.

The only games I've ever enjoyed playing online with "the world" were SOCOM: Confrontation, Uncharted 2 and 3, and GTA4. SOCOM was simple. No goddamn boosters or badges and silly upgrades that forced you to have to grind for hours and days each week in order to be and stay competitive.

When it was new there were , of course, glitches that needed to be worked out. Players were able to leave the playing area and go waaaaay out to high points in the distance of the non-gaming areas on certain maps, and snipe other players with little resistance. A total shit show that almost made me move on. Glad I didn't, because my wife and I each got really fucking good at finding places to take them out. :D But it was just a straight-forward war game.

Uncharted had some fantastic multiplayer in the second and third games. Got afflicted with the same ultra-booster arcadey bullshit disease, as so many others, in the fourth one.

Other than that, I'm not much of a fan of playing with other people. About all we do on GTA5 is go into a closed crew session and just play together.

I'm always going to want to play campaigns over online any day. I miss the old EA Medal of Honor games on the PS, and Delta Force series on my PC. :D

9. Rick

Rick R'n'f'R

The problem with online is that is just like the real world; filled with assholes that just want to ruffle your feathers.

Games like GTA are mostly filled with people trying to rampage you while your trying to do some actual gameplay. Rockstar has ruined GTA 5 with later updates. The later content actually requires you to be in a session with random arses. I tried it a couple of times working together with some people but we've all eventually given up on that. It sucks how new vehicles and weapons aren't available in the Single Player as well so that the game has been shelved for some time now. Watch Dogs was extremely annoying with the random invasions and killing. In others aspects it was more fun. Like how other players would be chased by a police-force and you were given the option to either assist the police in taking that guy out or just go on with your business.
    Racing games seem filled with people who bump you off the track and despite the efforts of developers with ghosting such arses, it seems it's not about to make it more fun. I took part in the GT Sport Beta which was quite competitive until the last lap. You'd always end up being bumped off, so it disappointed on the multiplayer part. People seem to jump on the brakes just in time to have the system register it as OK and avoid being ghosted. They'd still drive into a corner too fast to make it and push you into the barriers or gravel. I did some multiplayer in F1 2016 which was alright. Mainly because it always seems to ghosts your competitors a la time trail modes. That isn't too great either though because everyone could in theory just drive ideal racing lines.
    Shooters aren't much more pleasant either. I try to keep to objective based game modes. You always end up getting teammates that do not care about the objective but still choose to play that game mode. They'll just be racking kills, sometimes clan-based just trying to rape the location where a killed enemy could spawn..

I think that for multiplayer to be good there's only the option of playing with people you know or hope for some proper match making that puts the arses with the arses and leaves the rest to enjoy.
    Definitely prefer single player. Multiple playthroughs are kind of a rule... :p

I think the latest part 2 has a Story Mode. I'd advise against purchasing it though. That game needs to fail so hard that EA and the entire game publishing industry can wake up and stop releasing half-complete games with entire planned payed DLC schemes and pay-to-win concepts.

Robstafarian likes this.