Should I bother to mod?

SwampAshSpecial

Groove to the metal!
I have an old ESP M-50. I always love the feel of the guitar and it was my first, so I keep it. Is it worth me upgrading the pickups, and maybe hardware etc to improve it or should I not bother? I'd be looking to 'make' a nice metal guitar so what would have to go in/come out?

DrKarnivore

Browsing your web and SMS history
Staff member
Maybe just a new bridge pickup and a good setup is in order?

I think the M-50 was a hard tail wasn`t it (I had an M107 which was a hard tail).

So maybe a nice set of locking tuners?

DrKarnivore

Browsing your web and SMS history
Staff member
That ESP is basswood or agathis ain`t it. The JB would work pretty well.

Mine sounds a bit too dark in all mahogany. :(

SwampAshSpecial

Groove to the metal!
Basswood yes.

you guys are so helpful! some forums give great advice but not much (loads of little ones), others give loads of advice but its all sh*te (UG, Gearslutz...) but you are a great balance! I only know 1 other guitar forum like that...

Don't listen to any advice from me, I don't know a damn thing having not played or bought gear in years.

If you are sticking in a new pickup however, do look around before splashing out your cash as there are a lot of very good options available these days which people don't often stop to consider when on the "tone train" - they seem to stick with tried and tested favourites (nothing wrong with that) rather than looking a little further afield.

BKP Holydiver for example, Dimarzio Blaze or Evo, SD Invader.....so many choices for a good bridge pup.

SwampAshSpecial said:
Basswood yes.

I only know 1 other guitar forum like that...
Who art thou; who dare contest the windom of THEE MONKEY LORD? Thou shalt be killed by the hands of He Himself! :D jk
Anyways JB's would sound pretty good, I am pretty sure.

I say mod the crap outta it....sand it down to nothing!! throw new pickups in it...new nut...new bridge...new everything....

Darfuria

Staff member
I've often been of the same mind about my guitar (Korean Squier Strat). Part of me wants to modify it so that it'll be a better guitar, but another part of me thinks that, no matter what I can do, the most I'm going to achieve is owning a very expensive first guitar that perhaps sounds a little nicer - and what if I do something wrong? I don't want to lose what I have.

I think if it has some sort of sentimental value, try replacing things that you can swap back if you don't like the result. Pickups, for example. I'd be somewhat heartbroken if I changed something on my Strat that I couldn't change back, and was unhappy with it. At least if I didn't like the pickups I could put the old ones back in and have it (hopefully) back the way it was.

Sometimes it's better to find a new piece of equipment that suits your needs rather than potentially ruining one that has emotional value.

SwampAshSpecial

Groove to the metal!
Darfuria said:
I've often been of the same mind about my guitar (Korean Squier Strat). Part of me wants to modify it so that it'll be a better guitar, but another part of me thinks that, no matter what I can do, the most I'm going to achieve is owning a very expensive first guitar that perhaps sounds a little nicer - and what if I do something wrong? I don't want to lose what I have.

I think if it has some sort of sentimental value, try replacing things that you can swap back if you don't like the result. Pickups, for example. I'd be somewhat heartbroken if I changed something on my Strat that I couldn't change back, and was unhappy with it. At least if I didn't like the pickups I could put the old ones back in and have it (hopefully) back the way it was.

Sometimes it's better to find a new piece of equipment that suits your needs rather than potentially ruining one that has emotional value.
my exact predicament - BTW OT but where is your name from? I recognize it!

Darfuria

Staff member
Darfuria is the name of a country in a role playing campaign I play. So if you've seen "Darfuria" somewhere else on the Internet, it was me ;)

SwampAshSpecial said:
oh - sounds cool!
Yes, yes they are. Go look up "Dungeons and Dragons" and be prepared for a long read - it's a hobby I recommend however :D

Did you decide to mod the guitar in the end or hold off on sentimental grounds?

SwampAshSpecial

Groove to the metal!
ShadyDave said:
SwampAshSpecial said:
oh - sounds cool!
Yes, yes they are. Go look up "Dungeons and Dragons" and be prepared for a long read - it's a hobby I recommend however :D

Did you decide to mod the guitar in the end or hold off on sentimental grounds?
I didn't in the end - decided it wasn't worth the risk of letting a 13 year old near a guitar with any kind of sharp object :p

and if you like D&D, you might enjoy this:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html">http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html</a><!-- m -->