Shop Experience Thread

I'm in the states but i have nowhere else to tell this stupid story. I went in to guitar center a few weeks ago (my first mistake) to make an educated decision about the tonal differences between the Fender Princeton Reverb and the Fender Deluxe Reverb. I purposely went when nobody was in the store (weeknight).

I got a standard strat, nothing special, and turned the amp up to 1, yes volume level 1. The guy comes over and turns the knob down and says 'you can't crank in here bro'. It still baffles me. I was playing open chords quietly. I wasn't doing some sonic assault.

I think I will make a t-shirt that says 'you can't crank in here bro' and wear to guitar center next time.

JuicyJones

Chop Chop Kick It
I'm in the states but i have nowhere else to tell this stupid story. I went in to guitar center a few weeks ago (my first mistake) to make an educated decision about the tonal differences between the Fender Princeton Reverb and the Fender Deluxe Reverb. I purposely went when nobody was in the store (weeknight).

I got a standard strat, nothing special, and turned the amp up to 1, yes volume level 1. The guy comes over and turns the knob down and says 'you can't crank in here bro'. It still baffles me. I was playing open chords quietly. I wasn't doing some sonic assault.

I think I will make a t-shirt that says 'you can't crank in here bro' and wear to guitar center next time.

YOU CAN'T CRANK IN HERE BRO!

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
When testing a valve amp I feel you are unlikely to find the tone you want when the volume is less than 1. They should think about that. Maybe they should have this point fully explained to them ... ... With hammers.

Mojohandsadler

Living Life Firmly In The Black And White
Brighton Guitars. Went in there a few weeks ago wondering if they could get in a left handed Altamira Petit Bouche Selmer Copy. The guy on the till straight up lied to my face saying they don't make them anymore therefore he wasn't obliged to order one in. I know they are not discontinued because i've ordered a brand new one just recently from a reputable store and had conversations with other store owners about them.

JuicyJones

Chop Chop Kick It
If you are in Seattle or nearby, always remember Emerald City Guitars. Not only is it the coolest shop with an amazing selection of guitars, the service luthier is the famous Eric Daw, who is one of the two best luthiers in a city famous for loving guitars. He did a recrown on my Fotoflame and it's absolutely perfect, us$160. Another time I took in another amazing guitar I own to get some serious work done, and instead of charging me a fortune, he told me, "Hmm, well I can do whatever you need, but I think you might want to consider replacing this instead before you spend that much money, because it sounds like your problem with this has more to do with the fact it has a tremelo. Get a hard tail, you'll be happier."

http://www.emeraldcityguitars.com/

OK : Guitar Village, super relaxed about letting me try pretty much any fender (barring the private collection although that '63 will be mine!!). Went to the Boss gone mad sale in feb and ended up with a FSR Mystic sunburst strat and one of the new mini tune LPM by Gibson. Top service even though it was a mega busy day for them. Contacted them through facebook about the LPM not having a charger and they were on the phone (they had my number on the database) and arranged a collection, although i live in the same village as one of their staff who offered to drop it off; I just wanted to go back into the shop.

Andertons, lots of stuff. HT5 mini stack, left me alone with a mex strat and the amp to play. Strymon timeline similar. very knowledgeable staff.

Stu_T

Guitar village last week - Still on the quest for the perfect Stratocaster. Explained to the chap that I've been looking at the EC and EJ signature guitars and wanted to know if it was worth adding the extra to go to custom shop.

They guy was great picked me out a EJ strat and a few nice custom shop strats. No hard sale was happy to let me play them alone and leave me to make up my mind. Very knowledgeable staff, had a good chat about guitars and if the abbi pickups were all voodoo hoodoo. Probably the best shop I've ever been into.

Rich Tone (Sheffield) - Brought a 2nd Hand Peavey 4x12 cab from there recently. Pictures and description was excellent, could even pay me deposit with Paypal. Collected from store and gave it a look over, can't work out why it only costs £89, hardly been used and doesn't sound trashed. Sales Person even gave me a hand carrying to my car, good service in all.

Noise Works (Coventry) - My home town store that I can sadly no longer visit since moving. The two guys who run the shop were fantastic and very helpful, brought my 85 Japanese Strat from there and they even let me pay in instalments, as I was a 16 year old kid working part-time back then. Very willing to let me try anything out and just offered fantastic service with anything. I do miss this guitar shop.

GAK (Online) - Brought loads of Pedals, Cables, Strings and a Guitar with them. Everything turns up in good time and even had a broken Dunlop Wha replaced.

Guitar Guitar - Birmingham - My missus brought me an Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Goldtop for my 30th,it was on pre-order and the sales staff were constantly in touch via e-mail regarding expected shipment of the guitar to the store and when I could go and pick it up.
On collection the staff couldn't do enough for me and I left a very happy chappy.

RichTone Music - Sheffield - Bought a LTD Explorer from them a couple of months ago and was very impressed with the service. Was made to feel welcome but also left to my own devices and spent best part of 2 hours in there,they were quite happy for me to occupy a booth for as long as I wanted and also for me to give it some serious volume.
They also knocked £20 off the price to pricematch GG and chucked in some strings.

Would recommend either of these stores although a pilgrimage down to Andertons is on the cards at some point.

AngusWolfe

Likes red things.
Dunno if it counts as a shop, but I've bought a lot of little bits through Black Dog Music (usually through Amazon, but can also be found at blackdogmusic.co.uk). Saddles and tuners, etc. Gear comes pretty quickly at reasonable prices and comes with a 1mm Pick that's made of jesus or something. It might well just be tortex or something but I swear they're magical.

online experience only but thomann.de have really impressed me. not just with their prices but with their quick shipping and constant updates on an order. didn't, honestly, think that dealing with a company such a distance away would be so pleasant. left a couple of reviews on their products too and received a 10EUR voucher for each which basically pays for me shipping for the next thing i buy.
also vanson guitars on ebay. quality parts at good prices and excellent service.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
online experience only but thomann.de have really impressed me. not just with their prices but with their quick shipping and constant updates on an order. didn't, honestly, think that dealing with a company such a distance away would be so pleasant. left a couple of reviews on their products too and received a 10EUR voucher for each which basically pays for me shipping for the next thing i buy.
also vanson guitars on ebay. quality parts at good prices and excellent service.
I e-mailed Thomman the other day and they answered me very quickly. I always check Thommans site when looking for gear. Never had a problem with them.

TobiastheGiant

The long haired simian gigantor
Yet another disappointing trip to Dawsons, went in to buy a set of strings, the guy tried to sell me EVERY other kind of string other than the ones I wanted, even AFTER I pointed them out on the display... This is what I get for not going to Andertons...