Resin River Guitar

The most popular option in the What should I make next? thread was a resin river guitar. I had bought some wood with the intention of making a dining table, but that idea has fallen by the wayside and so I decided to use a piece of it for a guitar. I decided to reuse the template that I made for the 12-string guitar, and cut two pieces with interesting edges that will go on the inside to make the river banks. I rough cut the pieces to size and then made a mould for the resin pour. I cleaned it all up , and this weekend I'm pouring the resin.

I've also made a neck blank for this guitar, out of maple and a leftover piece that I think is ovangkol. I haven't yet selected a fretboard, but my idea is to cut a channel into it and continue the resin river down the length of the neck.

I haven't yet made any decisions about hardware, except that I will probably use a wraparound fixed bridge to simplify the installation. I haven't yet really thought about pickups, scale length, tuners or anything else; I will need to think about those pretty soon. If anybody is interested in this build, I'm open to discussion...if not then I'll probably go with fairly cheap hardware such as Harley Benton tuners and such like.

Tonight I've done the first main resin pour, which was a clear layer to fix the back and prevent the coloured resin from going out into places where I don't want it. Tomorrow I will add the coloured resin, which should be fun!

Here are a couple of pictures so far - the second one was taken a few minutes ago :)

Can I suggest you put LED's in it? At least you might not have thought of that yet. :p
I have thought about, and even investigated, the possibility of installing LEDs in it. However, I decided that this was probably biting off more than I can chew this time. I think that experimenting with the resin is enough for this build!

Progress this morning...

I decided to use the fretboard that's above the body in this picture, and am planning on attacking it with various tools later today.

The resin is a mix of red and orange, and I'm hoping that the two colours will remain separate and make an interesting pattern, as they did in the river table.

The mould is leaking slightly but it seems to have stopped - I don't want all of that resin dripping out onto (a) my bridge table and (b) the floor!

Progress this morning...

I decided to use the fretboard that's above the body in this picture, and am planning on attacking it with various tools later today.

The resin is a mix of red and orange, and I'm hoping that the two colours will remain separate and make an interesting pattern, as they did in the river table.

The mould is leaking slightly but it seems to have stopped - I don't want all of that resin dripping out onto (a) my bridge table and (b) the floor!
Looks awesome so far!

I hope I will now find the time to finally tackling my planned build.

Awesome threads from you!

Awesome. I like the colour choice for the resin.
Thanks, I think it's going to look great with the wood when it's all finished.

The pool of leaked resin is now about 5 mm from the edge of the base of the mould...it's been a slow-motion race between the leak and the setting of the resin. I think that the setting has now won...it does mean that I'll probably have to top up the whole thing with a little bit more clear resin, but that's no problem.

I've been working on the table this morning too, and now I just have to fix it to the legs and it's done. After lots of agonising, the top has come out looking pretty good - not 100% but acceptable. I'll post up a photo of that later.

metromusic

Negative, I am a meat popsicle
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out! I like the colour of the resin, I've seen too many river resin things in that turquoise that a change is needed :D

I took today off work and made some progress with various projects. One of these was the fretboard for this build, for which I had a plan. This is the current stage of that plan...
Fretboard with resin.jpg

The wiggle is at the 12th fret. I'm vaguely wondering about inlaying some other things on the usual frets (3, 5, 8 etc.) but haven't decided that and I tend to think it will be too much. Here, the resin has overflowed the river a little bit so that I can sand it back, and I plan to continue that onto the truss rod cover, which will be the "source" of the river.

Dang man, this is nice! I saw a similar guitar recently with blue resin and it looked like a proper Caribbean ocean running through the thing. You used the stuff before for that kickass table as well didn't you?

Yeah, the table is just being finished now - I had actually finished it, but didn't do a great job on the top but I worked out what had gone wrong and today I sanded it back and am reapplying the finish. It's looking quite nice.

Oh alright, since you insisted, here's a photo of it being tested on our terrace!
River table on terrace.jpg

It's due to be given to the friend for whom I made it as a wedding present soon (it's in time for the wedding, which is in August). I haven't tried to find out how much something like that would cost if you had it custom built, because I don't want to go back on my intention to give it away!

Wuzza

long time lurker
Yeah, the table is just being finished now - I had actually finished it, but didn't do a great job on the top but I worked out what had gone wrong and today I sanded it back and am reapplying the finish. It's looking quite nice.

Oh alright, since you insisted, here's a photo of it being tested on our terrace!
View attachment 36905

It's due to be given to the friend for whom I made it as a wedding present soon (it's in time for the wedding, which is in August). I haven't tried to find out how much something like that would cost if you had it custom built, because I don't want to go back on my intention to give it away!
You really need to put a lap steel on that, you know, just because. :p

Top work,

View attachment 36905

The guitar I mentioned earlier had the resin just like that. I have table GAS now. Darn you! ;)