replacement tele bridge?

i love my squier tele. i've never, however, liked the bridge.
looking for a replacement that'll allow me to fit these brass saddles (that were kindly donated by a forum member).
so i'm looking for a drop in (not through body) that'll sort it. any reasonably priced suggestions?

mine has 4 securing screws (one at each corner)...the ones i've looked at quickly like that one don't seem right. not drilling through the body!!
edit - actually 5 screws. there are 3 under the saddles and 2 at the neck end. humph.

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
the base screws tend to be all in the same ball park, though it is worth checking esp if you don't want to do any drilling

i fitted ferrules to my HB/ Thomann tele kit. badly lined up, TBH, but the through body + wilko bridge make it more "zingy" than before, but adds body and richness as well.

the drilling was (too) easy as its basswood, and i could have taken more care. but it was the sound i was after

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Hmmm.
Would it be possible to remove the current saddles and then (carefully) drill holes into the bridge that's already on the guitar to allow you to fit screws/springs for the brass saddles???
I dunno. Just an idea...
#tryingtothinkoutsidethebox

Hmmm.
Would it be possible to remove the current saddles and then (carefully) drill holes into the bridge that's already on the guitar to allow you to fit screws/springs for the brass saddles???
I dunno. Just an idea...
#tryingtothinkoutsidethebox
if you saw what i did to my other tele when fitting the bigsby...i'm not highly accurate with power tools.

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
that is quite strange. on mine, the base screws are all at the end of the plate - the screws round the pickup are just for the pick up itself

do you have the year of manufacture of your tele?

this is the wilko bridge (plus the bridge that came with it) you can see the 4 holes in the body behind the wilko bridge where the old bridge was fixed in place WP_20160117_011.jpg

holes in the wilko that allow the strings to be top loaded

WP_20160117_010.jpg

look, i never claimed to be John Cruz, alright?? :)

WP_20160117_007.jpg

Attachments

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
if you saw what i did to my other tele when fitting the bigsby...i'm not highly accurate with power tools.

i thought of bad alice 's idea as well. but there is not much margin for error with the end plate - with the existing holes, if the drill slips you'll end up with a ruined bridge

i also thought you could solder/ weld a thin strip of metal to the end to cover all the holes and redrill this. would be stronger, but i am not sure a domestic soldering iron would allow you to fit it as strong as you would like

bad alice

that is quite strange. on mine, the base screws are all at the end of the plate - the screws round the pickup are just for the pick up itself

do you have the year of manufacture of your tele?

this is the wilko bridge (plus the bridge that came with it) you can see the 4 holes in the body behind the wilko bridge where the old bridge was fixed in place View attachment 24016

holes in the wilko that allow the strings to be top loaded

View attachment 24017

look, i never claimed to be John Cruz, alright?? :)

View attachment 24018
That's actually a bloody good job johnniegoat! I'm impressed.:)
I know the middle 2 holes are a tiny bit off but you nailed the distance in between the ferrules!
Job done!
:clap:

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
this is maybe a more accurate picture...

i think its going to be tricky finding the exact fitting. lining up a pre-cut bridge with the existing holes is going to take some searching for the right product

again - i know you don't want to do it - but if you take time and are careful with measurements, an ash tray is easy to fit

i think its going to be tricky finding the exact fitting. lining up a pre-cut bridge with the existing holes is going to take some searching for the right product

again - i know you don't want to do it - but if you take time and are careful with measurements, an ash tray is easy to fit
i may have to drill.
I was all set to link something cool, but those saddles killed it. :(
link away. those saddles aren't entirely necessary.

bad alice

lupinehorror
Just had a thought that it might be easier (in terms of drilling) if you buy a bridge like the one johnniegoat posted above - but with brass saddles - and try the following:
1. drill the extra 2 corner holes (at the top/scratchplate end) into the new bridge plate
2. use a pen to mark where the new bridges other 3 attaching screw (by the springs) onto the body of your tele and drill those screw holes (carefully) into the body of your tele. By the looks of it the new bridge will cover the old bridge holes.
Hopefully(!) you should then be able to install the bridge of your choice.
Fingers crossed...

bad alice

Stumbled across this in YouTube. Shows you what it would look like to straight swap over to a traditional style bridge on a Squier Affinity tele.
Looks pretty good IMO! And hole filling is usually easier/safer than hole drilling!
If the link doesn't work, try popping "Install Ashtray bridge in Squier Affinity Telecaster" into the YT search box.
:)