Replacement bridge for old ML1

Hi guys

I have an older ML1 (purchased 4 years ago) in Natural-Ash and would like to replace the bridge. There's nothing wrong with it apart from it is in chrome and all the other hardware is black. This is by far my most played guitar even among a collection of Gibsons and Fenders so I just want this to make it look the tits!

I know it's a Wilkinson "vintage" trem but not sure of the specs. Anyone know the model or even an alternative in black?

Cheers

Wow, thanks for the swift reply! Looks good to me.

As for the introductions I live in London and have been playing guitar for 15 years (started when I was 15) . I was an avid Les Paul fan until I purchased a Chapman ML1 four years ago. Since then I've been more interested in finding cheaper guitars and learning to set them up and modify them properly.

Looking forward to seeing what this forum has to offer!

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
Wow, thanks for the swift reply! Looks good to me.

As for the introductions I live in London and have been playing guitar for 15 years (started when I was 15) . I was an avid Les Paul fan until I purchased a Chapman ML1 four years ago. Since then I've been more interested in finding cheaper guitars and learning to set them up and modify them properly.

Looking forward to seeing what this forum has to offer!
shreditpenfold was referring to a habit I made when I was a mod: “Welcome to the forum! Please, introduce yourself.”

Neilybob100

Welcome.

Have you thought any other mods to your ML-1.

Also feel free to post your rig in the post a rig post rig post.

Oops to many rig posts

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I think the only other gripe I have with it is the difference in levels between the humbucker in the bridge and the two single coils. Don't get me wrong the humbucker is great (it's amazing for what the guitar cost) but gets a tad annoying when switching to the single coil in the neck which I do quite a lot.

Any ideas (barring new higher output single coils)?

Neilybob100

I upgraded my pickups in my ML-1 but still have the same issue.

I wonder if this is down to pickup height?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Robstafarian

The Good and Wise Call Me “Rufus”
I upgraded my pickups in my ML-1 but still have the same issue.

I wonder if this is down to pickup height?
Though pickup height is a contributing factor, you could have taken this into account when selecting new pickups. I recommend the OP try lowering the bridge pickup.

Last edited:

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
The bridge looks good in black :

...but the black version still has the same (silver) steel saddles. I put Graphtech saddles on mine but, depending on which version you buy, they're either slightly too narrow or slightly too wide for the bridge. And the bridge has sides to it so you can't fit the "slightly too wide" ones.

Hi guys! Since this is a fairly new thread I wanted to post here. I bought an ML1 traditional from an authorized dealer in Argentina and it was great; smooth to play, pickups sounded great (though a bit too low output) and it was set up really good. however, after the first string change, it started snapping the high E string seconds after the first tuning.

6 new strings after, I begun to think there were problems with the bridge. The string was breaking 2 or 3 mm after the ball-end loop. I took it to the shop and they reviewed it two different times, having allegedly changed the entire bridge the second one. It kept breaking the e string.

I got effing fed up and bought an aftermarket japanese Wilkinson by Gotoh bridge (WS100) and went to change it myself. Found out it didn't fit. The bridge cavity routing was too small for the Gotoh bridge (particullary the part in which the tremolo bar gets in).

I wanted to know if someone knew if there were another bridge you knew fitted into the ML1 traditional, so that I could return the Gotoh and buy that one. It'd be a shame to find out that the bridge hole in my Chapman is not standard and I need to re route the bridge cavity to fit that one or any other.

Thanks in advance!

ShredRex5150

Have you looked at changing the string saddles? I am a big fan of the Graph Tech string saver saddles. They work really well and pretty much eliminate string breakage on my ML3.

Doesn't take much to cause string breakage at any point of contact, reasons could be many. But if you have it narrowed down to the bridge, replacing the whole bridge is kinda like throwing the baby out with the bath water. The saddles are what makes contact with the string. Provided there is no contact with the base plate which there shouldn't be.

Just a thought. Google Graph Tech String savers, they are one of the first thing I change on any non Floyd equipped guitar.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
Have you looked at changing the string saddles? I am a big fan of the Graph Tech string saver saddles. They work really well and pretty much eliminate string breakage on my ML3.

Doesn't take much to cause string breakage at any point of contact, reasons could be many. But if you have it narrowed down to the bridge, replacing the whole bridge is kinda like throwing the baby out with the bath water. The saddles are what makes contact with the string. Provided there is no contact with the base plate which there shouldn't be.

Just a thought. Google Graph Tech String savers, they are one of the first thing I change on any non Floyd equipped guitar.
I used to use Graph Tech saddles on my ML-2 and never once broke a string, they really do work. Do you feel they sound different to usual saddles? I didn't notice it when I put them on but when I eventually swapped the whole bridge to a model with metal saddles I noticed how much brighter and snapier the sound was. The Graph Tech saddles had a darker more rounded sound to them.