Rate the Last Film You Watched

DrHankWanfordSnr

That's not new, its always been there.
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. I've put off watching this for a long while as i was exited to see it but didn't want the disappointment of it sucking. Really enjoyed it. Tim Blake Nelson is how I'd be as a singing cowboy.

9.99999999 / 10

Last edited:

AngusWolfe

Likes red things.
found a load of Ingmar Bergman films on YouTube. If you like black and white swedish films from the 60s, "Shame" ("Skammen" in Swedish) is pretty good. Not Wild Strawberries or Seventh Seal good, but good. Liv Ullmann and Max Von Sydow in anything gets a good score out of me. 7.5/10

Magnus Pym

AKA - Two Kettles
found a load of Ingmar Bergman films on YouTube.
I remember seeing It Rains On Our Love one late night years ago and it made a lot of sense to me. I seemed to have spent a lot of my youth having people say 'Go on, do it, you might be dead tomorrow' and I'd be thinking 'yes but you might also still be alive tomorrow and have to deal with the consequences'. If it looks like rain it's sensible to take an umbrella.

Last edited:

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Watched Dirty Grandpa on New Year's Eve. It was funny. It had Aubrey Plaza being her weird self. I've grown to like her. It's not the greatest movie ever, but it's nice. 7/10.

mirage2101

death to 2020

By the makers of black mirror, a look back at 2020 by the world's worst informed commentators. With Samuel L Jackson, Hugh Grant, Phoebe from friends (Who channels the white house spokesperson she plays to a scary degree). The makers said they didn't want to do dystopian TV while we were living in one so they did a comedy. It'll have you going "oh man that was this year too! I completely forgot about that" while laughing and shaking your head at others.
8/10

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I've been in a huge Star Wars mood these last weeks, so I decided to go through all movies again. Last night we started with Episode 4, of course, because where else would you start....There is only one order in which to watch these movies.

I think it's amazing how a movie from 1977 still holds up today. Yes it's slower paced than modern movies, but it doesn't bother me. I appreciate it being slower paced. I love how they take the time to show all the different aliens in the Mos Eisley Cantina for example. The audio quality of the movie is a bit weird at times. For example, during the scene where Luke first finds the recording of Leia in R2, you can hear the audio flip flop between a bit of a muffled sound and clearer recording. The same happens when Han and Ben watch Luke practice with the lightsaber and drone on the Falcon. Oh well.

Has anyone ever noticed how Luke gets kind of Southern Accent when he's flying the X-Wing? It's like he becomes Top Gun or something. It's a bit odd. Also, why does Vader sound so upbeat in the first scene...in the rest of the movie he is his regular composed, monotone self.

I still give this movie a 10/10 though. Love it. Empire tonight!

DrHankWanfordSnr

Grosse Point Blank

still great fun, although I now see the hitman as a serial killer, and fear for Minie Driver when she inevitably taps him on the shoulder while whisking an egg white omlette* and he disposes of her body in landfill.............

* has to be a euphemism for spanking the monkey

beans & rice

Popcorn!
That's a good point. Martin didn't seem into it for the money.

I have a pile of old movies on the DVR. Most recently, though, it was Batman and Batman Returns. 9/10 for both. Not 10 because there is some big time cringey dialog.

DrHankWanfordSnr

Watched Pretty in Pink with teen daughters this evening (saw it with teenage girls in the 80's) 7/10 (I want to see an alternate version with original script with Robert Downy Jnr as Duckie who gets the girl while AndyMcC has a solitary diet coke...........

Daughter 1 "Is that the guy from Weekend at Bernies ?"
Me "Yes, Andrew McCarthy* he's the dreamy one who Archie's mum gets off with'
daughter 2 "Dreamy ?"
Me "For the 80's yes......it was a dark time, for dentistry, haircare, and pastel shades.........."

DrHankWanfordSnr

Popcorn!
That's a good point. Martin didn't seem into it for the money.

I have a pile of old movies on the DVR. Most recently, though, it was Batman and Batman Returns. 9/10 for both. Not 10 because there is some big time cringey dialog.
One of those has Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman................ SCwinnngg!!!!

beans & rice

UHF. Yup, the Weird Al movie. :D

Been years since I last watched it, but I still quote lines from it from time to time. So much ridiculous fun packed in there.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Going through all the Star Wars movies again. I just finished episode 2 and honestly, I don't understand why people hate on Hayden Christensen's performance so much. Yes, some of the dialogue is a bit cringe, but that's not his fault. He didn't write it. I think he did a perfect job showing that even then he was already very conflicted and very much flirting with the dark side. People also complain that his voice is monotone, but compare it to most of Vader's voice in the original trilogy. He was mimicking that and he did it perfectly.

AngusWolfe

Likes red things.
Going through all the Star Wars movies again. I just finished episode 2 and honestly, I don't understand why people hate on Hayden Christensen's performance so much. Yes, some of the dialogue is a bit cringe, but that's not his fault. He didn't write it. I think he did a perfect job showing that even then he was already very conflicted and very much flirting with the dark side. People also complain that his voice is monotone, but compare it to most of Vader's voice in the original trilogy. He was mimicking that and he did it perfectly.
Prequels as a whole are not THAT bad. Dialogue is iffy as hell and the CGI hasn't aged well but I could say the same about John Wick and I bloody love that movie.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
Finished episode 3. Still think Hayden did a great job. I paid a lot of attention to how he talks and it is so similar to how Vader with the suit talks. It's amazing really. I honestly thought it sounded like vader, but without the voice transformer. Love it! #stophatingonhayden!

mirage2101

Finished episode 3. Still think Hayden did a great job. I paid a lot of attention to how he talks and it is so similar to how Vader with the suit talks. It's amazing really. I honestly thought it sounded like vader, but without the voice transformer. Love it! #stophatingonhayden!
I really like ep2 and 3

Watched Outside The Wire, it was OK at best. The ending was stupid, the plot holes were bigger than Kanye West's ego, and it felt like they had a choice to write a better script of use more poorly rendered CGI, and CGI won.

beans & rice

Watched Outside The Wire, it was OK at best. The ending was stupid, the plot holes were bigger than Kanye West's ego, and it felt like they had a choice to write a better script of use more poorly rendered CGI, and CGI won.
Wondered about this one. Had kind of a Van Damme/Van Peebles/Kurt Russell 80s thing going with the android soldier. I'll probably give it a shot, but won't expect much. The other movies produced by the studio were also decent but flawed. Old Guard was a lot of fun and the best of the two, and Extraction had some sweet action sequences and nice camera work to show them off. But it had its weak spots.