Rate the Last Film You Watched

mirage2101

And I rewatched Cronenberg's remake of The Fly the other day. That thing still holds up, damn great horror movie. I even enjoy the sequel with Eric Stoltz.
oh man that thing gave me nightmares. I got dragged into watching it by the neighbor's kids who where a couple of years older. I must've been 10 or 11. It was too much for my 80s brain to handle. eegh..

I don't think I've ever seen it again. I have seen the 58 and 86 movies later but I never really warmed up to them

beans & rice

oh man that thing gave me nightmares. I got dragged into watching it by the neighbor's kids who where a couple of years older. I must've been 10 or 11. It was too much for my 80s brain to handle. eegh..

I don't think I've ever seen it again. I have seen the 58 and 86 movies later but I never really warmed up to them
I can see how that might leave a bad taste. Especially after the scenes with the dog. :(

DrHankWanfordSnr

That's not new, its always been there.
^
Yeah, it is fun, but definitely cheesy.
It came out at the time in the 90s when competing studios seemed to be putting out pairs of disaster movies. It was better than Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones and Anne Heche.

Watched Midnight Cowboy last night. Somehow never watched it before. Very enjoyable, depressing as it is.

And I rewatched Cronenberg's remake of The Fly the other day. That thing still holds up, damn great horror movie. I even enjoy the sequel with Eric Stoltz.
"I'm walking here !"

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.

DrHankWanfordSnr

Most of the time I feel like Wade Garrett, being taken for a ride and looking at the world through a busted windshield. :bounce:
The Vast of Night. (Netflix) Better than average 50s american runaround investigation of weird alien related phenomona. American Graffiti meets Xfiles.
Bladerunner (directors cut). Still good.

mirage2101

De johnsons 1992.

A mother and daughter go out camping for her 14th birthday. The daughter starts to get nightmares about 7 men wanting to impregnate her.
it turns out when she was conceived using IVF the other eggs were used to create 7 boys.

It all ends in an ultra creepy finally where the girl is married to her brothers. I think there’s an idea of the new kid being the devil or a demon.

it was on tv a while ago and I remember seeing it in the 90s. It’s one of those movies that’s seriously unsettling without leaning into blood and gore

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
Just watched a new horror-comedy anthology on Shudder called "Scare Package." Let me be up-front that this is not a "good" movie. It is very low budget, the segments are uneven and there are some very hokey bits. That said, I loved the hell out of it. If you are a horror movie fan, this movie touches on so many tropes in very satisfying ways. There are tons of bad jokes and puns - it's like a dad joke movie. I love it.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I watched Good Boys. It's from the creators of Superbad, including Seth Rogen (doesn't appear in the movie). It was basically Superbad, but with 12 year olds in stead of 16-18. It was quite enjoyably though. Very funny. Not the best acting ever from the kids, but they did a good enough job. I enjoyed it. 8/10.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga - Sends up Eurovision perfectly without taking the piss. Very funny even if you have no idea what the Eurovision Song Contest is. The music is an object lesson in how to write trashy but catchy songs.

beans & rice

Catching some random stuff while laying around.

"Rancho Deluxe" from 1975 with Jeff Bridges and Sam Waterston. They are a couple of lazy slackers in Montana who kill livestock and steal the meat to swap for rent and money. There was actually a promising premise in there, but the execution was absolute garbage. Characters show up you just have to take for granted, and lots of gaps are left between the sloppily scripted and contextless (I'm sticking with that word) exchanges. If this was a steak it would've been 1/4" thin, grey throughout and so dry that not even a gallon of steak sauce could help it go down.

"Trespass" 1993. A couple of hicks go looking for gold treasure hidden in an abandoned factory on the same day gangsters decided to use the location for an exchange, and they run afoul of each other and shit goes stupidly sideways. It's fuckin' dumb. But a little fun. Ice T and Ice Cube both probably considered this a deep learning experience in the dramatic arts of...being exactly the same character they've ever been since. :D
Bill Paxton was pretty wooden and weak. The hobo gets the gold. :)
The most interesting thing about it was seeing John Zorn's name included in the "thank you" portion. Turns out he recorded an entire score for the movie that the director ended up hating, and had Ry Cooder redo. I listened to the Zorn score and it was okay, but Cooder's was definitely better and more fitting.

"Gridlock'd" 1997. I'm not sure about the reason for the apostrophe in place of an e, but it was the 90s so that seems like reason enough. I stopped to watch it when I saw Stewart Copeland's name pop up as having done the score.
Tupac and Tim Roth are junkies who spend New Year's Day trying to get into rehab after taking their bandmate/Tupac's girlfriend (Thandie Newton) to the ER after an overdose.
I really liked it. They're a hapless duo with some good intentions, with a strong familial relationship who are clearly floundering with their third partner out of action. They go through the day meeting roadblock after roadblock in hopes of getting clean, interspersed with moments of getting high to continue trying to get clean. Roth & Tupac made a good pair and made an ugly, sleazy subject worth watching.

Other watches/rewatches:
Grosse Pointe Blank - aw, yeah!
Almost Famous - Great rock story.
Unforgiven - I never think I'll sit through it again when it comes on, yet I often do. :D

AngusWolfe

Likes red things.
Oh The Eurovision film. In many ways, it's the same as every Will Farrell movie ever made, yet this context kind of made it work? I don't think I ever want to watch it again, I don't even think I'd recommend it, but it was... oddly charming. 4/10 maybe? I'll give it 5 for Graham Norton.

beans & rice

^
We only made it about halfway through Eurovision. When it popped up on Netflix I told my wife it was probably just Will Farrell doing a horrible accent and talking about his dick. Wasn't wrong. :D It was just a mashup of Stepbrothers, Blades of Glory and Talladega Nights.
I like him, but he's also done some real stinkers. Holmes and Watson was baaaaaaaad.

Watched the 1991 Cape Fear last night. Been a long time. The original is superb, and I can't decide which I like better. And I love that Mitchum and Peck are both in the remake in small but meaningful roles that are also counter to the ones they originally played.

DrHankWanfordSnr

^
We only made it about halfway through Eurovision. When it popped up on Netflix I told my wife it was probably just Will Farrell doing a horrible accent and talking about his dick. Wasn't wrong. :D It was just a mashup of Stepbrothers, Blades of Glory and Talladega Nights.
I like him, but he's also done some real stinkers. Holmes and Watson was baaaaaaaad.

Watched the 1991 Cape Fear last night. Been a long time. The original is superb, and I can't decide which I like better. And I love that Mitchum and Peck are both in the remake in small but meaningful roles that are also counter to the ones they originally played.
Mitchum is great in the original. He's also very good in The Night of the Hunter.... its a bit old, but its a great film.
"Children..........Chiiiiiiiilllllldren !"

Chili Hobbes

The Dr Venkman of Hospital Lab Science.
Silence of the Lambs.

I've watched it a lot of times but this is the first time I really thought about the characters. Sir Anthony Hopkins does so well chewing up scenery as Lecter I've never really stopped to think that he's a walking plot device. How does he know everything? How the hell did he have Bills ex boyfriends head (that Bill apparently killed) in a jar in his lockup? It's crazy. His performance is amazing (as are all of them really, I'm a big fan of Ted Levine) but Lecter is sort of annoying. I wish there had been more of Buffalo Bill, but maybe it's like Boba Fett and a little goes a long way.

mirage2101

Silence of the Lambs.

I've watched it a lot of times but this is the first time I really thought about the characters. Sir Anthony Hopkins does so well chewing up scenery as Lecter I've never really stopped to think that he's a walking plot device. How does he know everything? How the hell did he have Bills ex boyfriends head (that Bill apparently killed) in a jar in his lockup? It's crazy. His performance is amazing (as are all of them really, I'm a big fan of Ted Levine) but Lecter is sort of annoying. I wish there had been more of Buffalo Bill, but maybe it's like Boba Fett and a little goes a long way.
Ages ago when Hannibal came out I heard a story.. I don't know how true this is. It was the early days of internet.. Rumor was... Anthony Hopkins would go into a movie theater. And at some point at a scary point in the movie he'd lean forward and ask "Are you girls enjoying yourseelfff?"And do that nasty sound Lecter makes.. Scaring the poor girls out of the theater.
I love stuff like that :)