Rate the Last Film You Watched

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Yup. Although my emotional roller coaster at "oh great Stephen fry is going to be a regular cast member in Dr who!!!!1!1! yayyyyyyyyyyy **BANG** ....oh maybe not :( "
And Dr Sir Henry of Lennyshire as a baddie !! Awww yeah ! The Phantom Flan Flinger strikes Again ! (we all remember Tiswas ?).
Bearing in mind one of the main *changes* the villains are responsible for #nospoilers
I think it’s possible we haven’t seen the last of Stephen Fry <crosses fingers>
Also, LH makes a fab villain!
Although now I’m wishing he’d lobbed a foam pie out of the car window as well during *that* scene!
:D

EDIT: meant to post this on the “Smile...” thread so I’ll copy, paste over there. If anyone wants to comment please head over there

beans & rice

Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker.

I loved it, I really don't get why some people had a negative reaction to it. I just ended a journey I started in primary school, it was a way more emotional film for me than I had anticipated!
That callback scene where Ren is reaching for Rey on the edge of the docking bay. I expected her to do what Luke did when Vader was reaching for him in ESB, and she probably would have except... :D
That was only one of several places where I got goosebumps.

DrHankWanfordSnr

That's not new, its always been there.
Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker.

I loved it, I really don't get why some people had a negative reaction to it. I just ended a journey I started in primary school, it was a way more emotional film for me than I had anticipated!
Yep. I liked it alot. My gran took me to see starwars at the cinema when I was 7. This has rounded out the story nicely for me.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
That callback scene where Ren is reaching for Rey on the edge of the docking bay. I expected her to do what Luke did when Vader was reaching for him in ESB, and she probably would have except... :D
That was only one of several places where I got goosebumps.
Loved the film!
But dammit.
I’m now wishing they’d played (at least an excerpt of) “Sitting on The Dock Of The Bay” during that scene.
For the LOLZ obvs.
:)

DrHankWanfordSnr

Mean Girls. (watched tonight after chinese takeawy with Em and Han)

Still pretty good. Not a John Hughes level Brekkie Club film - but perfectly serviceable. Nice horror movie trope involving buses - also adhering to closely to Checkov's law (if you show a gun/element in the first act, it has to be used prominently later in the film) (also nicely used in Knives out).

mirage2101

The new Star Wars..
I enjoyed it. I just feel the entire trilogy was a waste in potential. You could’ve made a great trilogy out of each of those movies.
Parts 1-3 get a lot of flac for being not like 4-6 but at least they dared to be something new. So rise of the Skywalker is the best they could do with the mess they setup. But I probably won’t watch it again

doctor who...
ooooh!!
This reminds me of the laundry files by Stross. Really fun with the spy take.
I did like Missy though :(

Last edited:

beans & rice

The new Star Wars..
I enjoyed it. I just feel the entire trilogy was a waste in potential. You could’ve made a great trilogy out of each of those movies.
Parts 1-3 get a lot of flac for being not like 4-6 but at least they dared to be something new. So rise of the Skywalker is the best they could do with the mess they setup. But I probably won’t watch it again
The reason I have such a hard time with the prequels is the acting. A stable of good-to-great actors throughout, but they all put in such terrible performances. Lucas seemed to not give them much of anything to work with except his very soap opera scripting style, and expected them to project what was in his head before he had it all digitally added afterward. No one knew what they were acting to.

DrHankWanfordSnr

Last Christmas.

George Michael's ouvre as incidental music, some anti-xenophobe messages, some standard feel good tropes. Mother of dragons has a lightly self destructive arc downwards, hits a bottom, then works toward redemption.
And I predicted the ending to the surprise of 2x teenage daughters - including the feel good sing song bit. Not bad. Not as good as Yesterday, or Truly, Madly, Deeply. No car chase. No dragons other than a sister.

[I now need to rewatch Truly Madly Deeply][update rewatched TMD, didn't like the twee middle classness, but got a different interpretation of the change in Jamie/Rickman's character, and ]

Also 'The courier'. Olga K dispatches a number of extras (dressed in back combat attire) in a multistorey car park while protecting an 'important witness on his way to a hearing' - at night. Across town Gary Oldman acts nasty while wearing an eyepatch in a nice office in daylight. If this took more than a fortnight to script, film, and edit, then I'm a Frenchman. Avoid.

Last edited:

AngusWolfe

Likes red things.
The reason I have such a hard time with the prequels is the acting. A stable of good-to-great actors throughout, but they all put in such terrible performances. Lucas seemed to not give them much of anything to work with except his very soap opera scripting style, and expected them to project what was in his head before he had it all digitally added afterward. No one knew what they were acting to.
1579311691375.png

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Imagine spending half the film trying to backfill and fix the utter train wreck that was ”The Last Jedi” only to leave yourself with half the run time needed to tie everything together.

Rushed, badly written, structurally a complete mess and still with some of the least interesting characters in the last two decades.

Better than TLJ, slightly better than TFA but still trash. Stupid trash at that, making the Prequel Trilogy look like decent work.

2/10

mirage2101

Imagine spending half the film trying to backfill and fix the utter train wreck that was ”The Last Jedi” only to leave yourself with half the run time needed to tie everything together.

Rushed, badly written, structurally a complete mess and still with some of the least interesting characters in the last two decades.

Better than TLJ, slightly better than TFA but still trash. Stupid trash at that, making the Prequel Trilogy look like decent work.

2/10
You talk as if the prequel trilogy is bad? I’d skip 1 but 2 and 3 are movies I’d watch again. 7, 8 and 9 will never grace a screen in my house.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
2/10
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but that is going too far. Jar Jar Binks?:)

Seriously though I think the reveals in RoS sort of make most of the rest of the films redundant.
There is a place you can hide the largest navy in the universe without anyone noticing the resources and people needed for it disappearing all the time. Pity the rebels didn't know about that sort of thing in ANH. It would have made a much shorter series.
Palpatine as still alive and controlling the story. Heroes and villains alike, their earlier struggles achieved nothing. What was the point?
Jedi live forever and are more powerful when they are dead? WTF (Dune anybody? Harry Potter anybody?).
Also why only the ones we know about? What happened to all the others in the 25,000 year Jedi dynasty. Why couldn't Palpatine call on his old buddies?
The Force is transmitted through bloodlines. 'New Republic' Ha! New perpetual monarchy more like.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but that is going too far. Jar Jar Binks?:)

Seriously though I think the reveals in RoS sort of make most of the rest of the films redundant.
There is a place you can hide the largest navy in the universe without anyone noticing the resources and people needed for it disappearing all the time. Pity the rebels didn't know about that sort of thing in ANH. It would have made a much shorter series.
Palpatine as still alive and controlling the story. Heroes and villains alike, their earlier struggles achieved nothing. What was the point?
Jedi live forever and are more powerful when they are dead? WTF (Dune anybody? Harry Potter anybody?).
Also why only the ones we know about? What happened to all the others in the 25,000 year Jedi dynasty. Why couldn't Palpatine call on his old buddies?
The Force is transmitted through bloodlines. 'New Republic' Ha! New perpetual monarchy more like.
I don't think a badly written (and annoying) character ruins a film and I don't think the Prequel trilogy is a badly written story. The new trilogy is a badly written story with terrible characters throughout. Despite their flaws both the Prequel and Sequel trilogy have their highlights (granted, most in the highlights came from RoS), but watching RoS had me going from "This scene is actually quite nice" to "Well, back to being incredibly stupid" throughout the entire film, none of the Prequel-films did that.

If Jar Jar was annoying in TPM, we have Rey, Kylo Ren, Holdo, Hux, TLJ Luke, Babu Frik, Phasma, Rose and DJ to provide equal levels of annoyance in the new films, only spread out over the entire playtime rather than concentrated in the 20 or so minutes of screen time that Jar Jar has. Difference being that many of these characters are bad and/or annoying based on how they're written rather than having a "funny" voice.

I agree with the problems you bring up and would add that the RoS lacks explanations for things needing explaining, lacks consequences and is plagued by doing things because of how "cool" it would be rather than following a bigger picture.
It doesn't even follow up on it's own plot points, for instance Finn's force sensitivity or the Knights of Ren. Also, the whole "dyad in the force" would have made sense unless Rian Johnson specifically added that their connection was made possible by Snoke, i.e. Sideous puppet. Yet all of a sudden Sidious have no idea about their connection. Talk about mid-series retcon.

I watch the Prequels at least once every year, wouldn't call them great by any stretch of the imagination but the only new film I would even consider watching with the previous two trilogies is Rogue One.