Rate the Last Film You Watched

mirage2101

Terminator: Dark fate.
six, or three or whatever the hell it's number is supposed to be.

So I'm a SF nerd. I love terminator. I've seen the second one at the movies when I was 11. That first scene scared the bejeesus out of me. I didn't care much for 3 and 4. Genysis was actually fun. I don't know why it got so many bad review.
Dark fate isn't getting much love either but I had a great time. Sure it repeats some story beats and it's hard to do something different by now. I loved Grace (that blonde chick from "halt and catch fire"). Linda Hamilton was great. And Arnold was a delight. He had me laughing with tears in my eyes at two points. So if you like robots from the future and stuff blowing up. Check this one out.
A solid 4 out of 5 terminated saviors of humanity.

John Connor is killed in the opening scene. Since skynet is stopped he isn't going to save us anymore. But there are some terminators from the old future walking about.
The terminator is "Efficient at changing diapers, doesn't complain and is a good listener"
The terminator "Once had a customer who wanted solid colour drapes for a little girls room" It told him no.. "Ofcourse you need polka dots or butterflies

beans & rice

Finally watched 'It'.
I liked it. Mostly jump scares, but it's got a good atmosphere and that fuggin' clown is very effectively creepy.
Now maybe I'll see the second half sometime next year. :D

I also thought it was funny that, during the rock war, a kid was wearing a Metallica shirt, but the song playing was by Anthrax. :D
Anthrax rules.

Wade Garrett

I am the projectionist.
The Pilgrim's Progress.

It's awful. Cheap looking animation and a bad script. To be fair though I can only speak of the first 20mis, I couldn't make it any further. That's a very rare thing for me.

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I saw The Rise of Skywalker last Saturday. I loved it. I do not understand where all the criticism is coming from. Yes, maybe it all feels a bit rushed at times. There's too much story to tell in to little time, but the story was told, was told well and I loved it! Yes, there are some questions left unanswered. I of course want to know how it's possible that certain characters are still alive and why others had to die. I also want to know what happens in the aftermath. Just a quick prologue would be nice. I honestly hope Disney will make some more awesome series like The Mandalorian that takes place around the same time as Episode 7, 8 and 9 in which we can get answers to these questions.

I give the movie a solid 9 out of 10. I really loved it and may be one of my favorite episodes.

DrHankWanfordSnr

That's not new, its always been there.
Parasite.
In Korean - with subtitles. A close family of likeable scammers latch onto a lightly gullible family.......
This film was pretty good as it gets you comfy with the trope.... ""ahhhhhhh they're going to scam and usurp the family' then..... it changes. And moves into "eff me that escalated" territory.

SemiCullen

Still haven't got the hang of Thursdays
I saw The Rise of Skywalker last Saturday. I loved it. I do not understand where all the criticism is coming from. Yes, maybe it all feels a bit rushed at times. There's too much story to tell in to little time, but the story was told, was told well and I loved it! Yes, there are some questions left unanswered. I of course want to know how it's possible that certain characters are still alive and why others had to die. I also want to know what happens in the aftermath. Just a quick prologue would be nice. I honestly hope Disney will make some more awesome series like The Mandalorian that takes place around the same time as Episode 7, 8 and 9 in which we can get answers to these questions.

I give the movie a solid 9 out of 10. I really loved it and may be one of my favorite episodes.
I saw it Saturday, too. I don't think I liked it as much as you, but I thought it was pretty good. It did everything I needed it to do. As long as you don't overthink certain things, it's fine.

I'd give it 7.5 out of 10.

Chili Hobbes

So much time, and so little to do.
Yeah I liked Rise of Skywalker too. I went into it with really low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. Again I agree its rushed, and I wish JJ had done all 3 sequel trilogy films because I think that would have allowed a more fluid story progression, but it is what it is.

Yet more proof you should never, ever trust any opinion on films (or anything I guess) other than your own.

Alpheus

RNA MUSIC OWNER
Agee on Rise of Skywalker. Went in with very low expectations, was pleasantly surprised. Is it perfect? no. DO I still wish they had stopped at Return of the Jedi and left all the old characters alone and started at a completely different time point in the Star Wars Universe (the old republic maybe) YES.

I didn't hate it, and I think JJ did as good a job as he could have getting things back to somewhere close to what he probably envisioned with The Force Awakens.

I will probably watch it again in theaters.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Agee on Rise of Skywalker. Went in with very low expectations, was pleasantly surprised. Is it perfect? no. DO I still wish they had stopped at Return of the Jedi and left all the old characters alone and started at a completely different time point in the Star Wars Universe (the old republic maybe) YES.

I didn't hate it, and I think JJ did as good a job as he could have getting things back to somewhere close to what he probably envisioned with The Force Awakens.

I will probably watch it again in theaters.
Agreed^
(being SUPER careful to avoid spoilers here)
I’d have preferred the ending to be different to better close out the Skywalker saga.
But aside from that I enjoyed it.
I do however feel that this trilogy really underlines why having one director plan and direct all three films makes for a more cohesive and better thought out individual films within a series concept.
Still, Leia got the finale she deserved and I loved that I went in not knowing how individual characters arcs were going to resolve.
Overall, a lot of fun 8/10

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
SW:ROS

i know TLJ was broadly unloved. however, i thought many of the ideas it raised were good for the SW canon. challenging received wisdom is always a good thing

i enjoyed ROS. its a SW film. of course i liked it

however (no spoiler i hope, as per @bad alice above*)

it obviously was made to address the loud complaints around TLJ, which was wrong. SW may not be high art, but an artist making art purely in response to complaints is a mistake. that both disappointed and saddened me; bravery is sticking to your guns, not your profit margins

too many character's who had potentially more interesting arcs suddenly became vehicles for exposition, agency removed and railroaded for the sake of fan service

like i said, i enjoyed the film. but the folks running the SW franchise should peek over the wall and steal some ideas from how Feige is running the MCU. no idea what is next for SW, but if the same people keep making the decisions, it won't be cohesive or brave

*note on spoilers - ROS has been out a week. at what point can we stop talking about spoilers? i had a colleague a couple of years go complain about spoilers - about ANH, which he had not seen. a film released in 1977. i'd have cried had i not been laughing so much

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
SW:ROS

i know TLJ was broadly unloved. however, i thought many of the ideas it raised were good for the SW canon. challenging received wisdom is always a good thing

i enjoyed ROS. its a SW film. of course i liked it

however (no spoiler i hope, as per @bad alice above*)

it obviously was made to address the loud complaints around TLJ, which was wrong. SW may not be high art, but an artist making art purely in response to complaints is a mistake. that both disappointed and saddened me; bravery is sticking to your guns, not your profit margins

too many character's who had potentially more interesting arcs suddenly became vehicles for exposition, agency removed and railroaded for the sake of fan service

like i said, i enjoyed the film. but the folks running the SW franchise should peek over the wall and steal some ideas from how Feige is running the MCU. no idea what is next for SW, but if the same people keep making the decisions, it won't be cohesive or brave
This^
ALL OF THIS.
Missed you @johnniegoat
:hug:

*note on spoilers - ROS has been out a week. at what point can we stop talking about spoilers? i had a colleague a couple of years go complain about spoilers - about ANH, which he had not seen. a film released in 1977. i'd have cried had i not been laughing so much
What an ass!
<crying with laughter>
:D

johnniegoat

Stop, don’t, come back.
good to see you as well @bad alice

i could go on about what i think of recent events on SW. but it would drag on and no one wants to send an evening hearing my thoughts on how they f'd up the solo Solo film... :)

but i will leave this here. whatever anyone feels regarding TLJ, the gauge of a person is how they respond during times of stress and criticism

Rian Johnson has gone way up in my estimation in the last few months

beans & rice

Finally closed out the John Wick trilogy.
Yeah, I know there's more coming. :bounce:

Great series, amazing action. Relentless. Fun as all get out. Keanu's style adapts to each person or group he's fighting, and the whole team works so hard to employ the setting into how each fight and battle plays out. Very imaginative and creative.
I love how they exist in a universe where the assassin order is so pervasive that it can actually be that every person in a scene might possibly be one. There are no civilian casualties, but they are also completely oblivious and uninvolved in the goings-on of the assassins. There are no cops, nothing is used to get in the way of what these people do to each other.

Soap Distant

The Big Kahuna (again!)
Mr & Mrs Smith - forgot how totally awesome this film is.

The Girl with all the Gifts - Started out impressively, with an interesting premise, then turned into an absolute bag of mashed twats in the last 20 minutes with the "Lord of the Flies" type bollocks.

DrHankWanfordSnr

That's not new, its always been there.
Mr & Mrs Smith - forgot how totally awesome this film is.

The Girl with all the Gifts - Started out impressively, with an interesting premise, then turned into an absolute bag of mashed twats in the last 20 minutes with the "Lord of the Flies" type bollocks.
Don't read the sequel novel...... its less good.

ed lespaul

Battered Bastards of Baseball: A fantastic documentary about a minor league team that was owned and run by Kurt Russell's father. It goes through all the ins and outs of minor league baseball, and one special one that was NOT affiliated with a Major League team, and how it embarrassed Major League Baseball.

mirage2101

Hereditary:
I can't score it because we turned it off halfway. Until a couple of years ago we used to watch a lot of horror / scary movies. We love american horror story, the conjuring.. That kinda stuff.
This movie was just uncomfortable and boring. When we were an hour in we paused it for snacks and decided not to continue. The music implies a lot of scary stuff happening but it's mostly about weird creepy people doing.. I don't know what. Not sure where it's going but I don't care either.