Rate the Last Film You Watched

ed lespaul

With yesterday being the 75th anniversary of D-Day, the HBO mini-series Band of Brothers was on. I missed most of it, but caught the last few episodes. It's amazing that every time you watch it, it's even greater than you remember it.

My wife never watched it before. She was in tears during the episode where they liberated the concentration camp survivors. Extremely powerful mini-series.

beans & rice

Spider-Man: Far From Home.

Solid way to kick off the next wave of movies, and just great on its own.
It was very smartly constructed to incrementally notch things down in terms of the scale of the stakes, after what we just went through with the last 10 years of story building. But when they got there, things in this movie still had impact and resonated strongly. It didn't seem smaller at all. At the end we're left with a clear path forward that elevates Spidey to a point where he should play a big part in what's to come.

Wuzza

long time lurker
Captain Marvel 6/10
Brie Larson has taken a lot of shit online for this movie. I thought she actually did ok. The story was pretty generic, and the script wasn't great. They pegged her into a "Superman" style of superhero. (not read the comics, so cant say if this is accurate) The problem is if you give a hero "ultimate power" then their weakness, usually, needs to be some sort of internal conflict. They just didn't go far enough with this. Being put down for being a woman was telegraphed so badly it was laughable, you could pretty much see the finale within the first 30 mins.
If people are saying the cat is the best thing in a movie, then you have problems....

mirage2101

Rim of the world 1/10 turned it off.
The concept sounds great. A couple of kids meet at summer camp and they get separated from the main group as aliens attack.

Except the kids are as shallow as can be. We barely spend any time at all and it’s all toilet humor. And then aliens attack and stuff explodes. 10 minutes later I realized I didn’t care about the kids and they were really annoying. So I put on a YouTube channel analyzing horror and monster movies.

beans & rice

Rim of the world 1/10 turned it off.
The concept sounds great. A couple of kids meet at summer camp and they get separated from the main group as aliens attack.

Except the kids are as shallow as can be. We barely spend any time at all and it’s all toilet humor. And then aliens attack and stuff explodes. 10 minutes later I realized I didn’t care about the kids and they were really annoying. So I put on a YouTube channel analyzing horror and monster movies.
Made it through, but you're right, it's a hunk of crap.
Although the effects were still a notch above Aquaman. :D

Also recently watched Into the Spiderverse and Ralph Breaks the Internet on Netflix.
The Spidey movie was pretty fun and covered a lot of material. I love how, at this point, they treated telling Spidey's origin story as such a joke, and anyone who doesn't know it by now should feel ashamed and be confused. :D :p
Ralph was not bad either, I just needed something to kill a couple of hours. I think it could've been about 30 minutes shorter, but it was okay.

Magnus Pym

Grudges rot the soul
Watched Chaos with Jason Statham and Wesley Snipes this weekend. Imagine that a millionaire believes his 13 year old son to be a genius scriptwriter and pays to get a film made, money no object. It's like that.

Last edited:

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I watched Take the 10 with a buddy saturday on Netflix in our traditional let's watch a bad comedy movie night. Sometimes it's bad. Really bad. This time, it was ok. It was kind of fun, but also kind of weird. I give it a 6,5/10.

Afterwards, it was still early, so we decided to pop in an old Austin Powers dvd. The first one. That's a classic. It's gold. It's awesome. It's timeless. 9/10.

mirage2101

Shazam:
For me it’s a solid 7. Not earth shattering. Not much new to find here on the superhero genre.
If you have kids I imagine it’s a 9. It’s way lighter in tone than the other DC movies but still scary enough to be exciting. It reminds me a lot of 80s movies like the goonies where kids got up to stuff and the adults were only there in the background if at all.