Rate the Last Film You Watched

ed lespaul

Darkest Hour 9/10 - A fantastic film about Winston Churchill. I had no idea that he ordered the civilian boats to rescue the men at Dunkirk. I also had no idea that a conversation with FDR gave him the idea of using civilian boats.

I also had no idea that he kept Neville Chamberlain on as an advisor.

The subway scene alone was worth the watch.

AngusWolfe

Likes red things.
Green Book was very enjoyable, excellent performances and while the narrative was somewhat predictable, sometimes that just works. I don't think it's a repeat viewer, and to be honest, if it wasn't for the outstanding performances from Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali, It wouldn't have been even half as enjoyable, but I can see it being a decent Sunday evening channel 5 film in a few years. I want to give it a 7/10 but that's what I gave All is True, and All is True is a better film in my eyes, so I'm going with 6.5/10.

bad alice

Easily distracted and...OHLOOKAGUITAR!!!
Darkest Hour 9/10 - A fantastic film about Winston Churchill. I had no idea that he ordered the civilian boats to rescue the men at Dunkirk. I also had no idea that a conversation with FDR gave him the idea of using civilian boats.

I also had no idea that he kept Neville Chamberlain on as an advisor.

The subway scene alone was worth the watch.
It’s a good film but in reality the subway scene never happened and the idea for civilian boats came from a phone conversation with FDR is pretty unlikely too.
Feature film makers (more so than documentary makers) do have a tendency to play fast and loose with history - think Braveheart, Mary Queen Of Scots and many others.
The alterations general make for a better audience pleasing *story* but there is a danger that we start believing these films are a genuine representation of what actually happened.
Approach with caution...
:)

AngusWolfe

Likes red things.
It’s a good film but in reality the subway scene never happened and the idea for civilian boats came from a phone conversation with FDR is pretty unlikely too.
Feature film makers (more so than documentary makers) do have a tendency to play fast and loose with history - think Braveheart, Mary Queen Of Scots and many others.
The alterations general make for a better audience pleasing *story* but there is a danger that we start believing these films are a genuine representation of what actually happened.
Approach with caution...
Did you know that King Arthur WASN'T followed around by a man banging two halves of coconut together? crazy what these film makers will lie about ;)

bad alice

Close (Netflix)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5316540/

A female bodyguard takes a job protecting a rich young spoiled daughter and heiress to a financial empire. Sounds like a plot we've seen before.
But this one is well executed.

Good proper action movie with a lot of real girl power.

Great movie. Go see it.
Thanks for this recommendation @Sustainerplayer
M&ain’t are planning on giving this a go on Sunday evening.
Incidentally, Saturday evening is reserved for White Men Can’t Jump
Mitch has never(!) seen it :eek::cold:
So that NEEDS to be removed post haste! #classicSaturdayNightFlimsRGO

Tankman

Subtly not giving a F*ck
I saw the most part of The Pursuit of Happyness. It was quite enjoyable, until I read up on it afterwards and learned it got the Hollywood treatment. It's based on a true story, but the way they took liberties with the story, it's only loosely based on the actual events.

bad alice

I saw the most part of The Pursuit of Happyness. It was quite enjoyable, until I read up on it afterwards and learned it got the Hollywood treatment. It's based on a true story, but the way they took liberties with the story, it's only loosely based on the actual events.
That this happens SO GODDAMN MUCH pisses me off...
:facepalm:

beans & rice

Three Billboards....

What a crock of shit. Some good performances, but it's just so miserable and bleak. The message is basically that there are no consequences for anyone except for those who don't deserve them. I already knew that, don't need my escapism to remind me. :p
Bring on Captain Marvel goddammit. :D

Wuzza

long time lurker
Bohemian Rhapsody: Needs a second viewing, but going with 6/10.

In my mind, far too many years were crammed into the run time. Admittedly, you'd probably need a 6 hour film for what I was after in the film, and I guess as a broad overview of Freddies' life and career, it does deliver. Personally I'd have loved to have seen more of the struggles of the band early days, but that's the era I love.

Freddie - Rami does as good a job as I guess anyone could ever expect. A few times I had goosebumps (more so for the songs and the reactions), but others I was waiting for him to hit certain notes, which didn't happen. Unless you actually had Fred singing, that was never gonna happen.
Brian - From the interviews I've seen, it could actually be Brian in the film. 10/10
Roger - Don't know enough about his personality, so cant really comment. Not how I expected though.
John - Acted as he played bass. He was there, and suppose he'd be really missed if he wasn't. :p
Live Aid - I really wish they had just shown the actual concert....

Bonus feature version (digital) was a let down, only a full version of the Live Aid concert. IMO they really missed a trick with not including actual Queen footage. For me, this would have been a perfect ending over the credits, showing how much love there is for the band even now, and how Freddie, even in death, can have a hold over a crowd.

Last edited:

Chili Hobbes

So much time, and so little to do.
Alita: Battle Angel.

I liked it. I knew nothing of the source material but I go to the cinema to be entertained, and I was. Great action and special effects. I'm not a huge fan of cliffhangers, or unfinished stories, but I'll forgive it if it means we get more.

I dunno, 9/10 or whatever.

bad alice

Fixed that for you bud. ;) Quote movie of the 80's.

Game over man!
My big bro and I watched Aliens so much that we used to speak the lines as we watched it.
I’d take the female parts
He’d do the male.
Which was all sorts of awesome as there really weren’t any other action films at that time where the ladies got to kick serious ass.
Kit: Hey Vasquez, you ever been mistaken for a man?
Me: *heavy Peurto rican accent* No. Hhhhave you?
Those were GOOD times...